DVDVR Message Board

Legitimately All Time Great Actors

Fat Spanish Waiter

I really wish I could say Samuel L. Jackson, but there are just so many "that script is terrible, but, wait, is that a check attached?  Of course I'll do it" films in his career that drag him down despite the truly great work spread throughout his career.

Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman were great shouts.

I really wish I could say Samuel L. Jackson, but there are just so many "that script is terrible, but, wait, is that a check attached? Of course I'll do it" films in his career that drag him down despite the truly great work spread throughout his career.

All time greats? Not sure I can cosign on those two.

I really wish I could say Samuel L. Jackson, but there are just so many "that script is terrible, but, wait, is that a check attached? Of course I'll do it" films in his career that drag him down despite the truly great work spread throughout his career.

All time greats? Not sure I can cosign on those two.

HANS GRUBER DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT WHAT YOU COSIGN ON!

I'll go with Bryan Cranston. Obviously there's Breaking Bad, but I think you admire his talents even more once you've seen him in Malcolm in the Middle. One of the few actors I know that can do both drama and comedy equally well. Pacino's fantastic obviously, but could you really imagine him on rollerblades dancing around manically in front of his flabbergasted son?

James Gandolfini too. He was TV's Marlon Brando.

Did we forget Morgan Freeman?

Also, I saw Denzel as a prinicipal in some late 80s Lean on Me type movie on BET a few months a back. It was so weird seeing him not be the Denzel reeling off badass lines left and right.

I would keep it to the headliners, I missed your post the first time, but Meaney, Clancy, Chewy, Hardy, Hinds and Rush aren't in the same bracket. Same goes for Old-Man and Rick-Man.

"YOUR THREAD WON'T BE JOINING US FOR THE REST OF ITS...LIFAH"

Hans-Gruber-351x400.jpg

Robert Duvall is someone I might not have thought about, but totally fits the bill. To think his first film role was To Kill A Mockingbird, he steals scenes in Apocalypse Now, True Grit, The Conversation, The Eagle Has Landed, Days Of Thunder. He's king sized in Falling Down

Fuck, he makes A Shot At Glory watchable.

I would keep it to the headliners, I missed your post the first time, but Meaney, Clancy, Chewy, Hardy, Hinds and Rush aren't in the same bracket. Same goes for Old-Man and Rick-Man.

What about HACKMAN?

I'll go with Bryan Cranston. Obviously there's Breaking Bad, but I think you admire his talents even more once you've seen him in Malcolm in the Middle. One of the few actors I know that can do both drama and comedy equally well. Pacino's fantastic obviously, but could you really imagine him on rollerblades dancing around manically in front of his flabbergasted son?

James Gandolfini too. He was TV's Marlon Brando.

No man. No!

I think when the question is posed as all time great actor, we tend to discount comedic actors due to a lack of gravitas and because their careers are inevitably more uneven. Keeping that in mind, I think that Bill Murray and Robin Williams should still garner some consideration.

If we are considering actresses as well, Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren both own everything. Those two plus Dench and Blanchett are probably more consistent than any of the actors mentioned with the possible exception of DDL.

I don't know that he's an "all-timer" yet, but Michael Fassbender is trying very hard to convince me that he is one of the best actors in the world and will be for a long time.

Someone brought up the best Tarantino scenes in another thread, but I must say the bar massacre with him, Diane Kruger, Til Schweiger, and August Diehl was the best one in the movie besides the opening scene IMO.

I think when the question is posed as all time great actor, we tend to discount comedic actors due to a lack of gravitas and because their careers are inevitably more uneven. Keeping that in mind, I think that Bill Murray and Robin Williams should still garner some consideration.

If we are considering actresses as well, Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren both own everything. Those two plus Dench and Blanchett are probably more consistent than any of the actors mentioned with the possible exception of DDL.

Murray definitely makes the list IMO.  Williams I'm more conflicted on.  He's had a few truly excellent performances, but so much of his CV is "doing Robin Williams" that, like SLJ, it becomes harder to justify him on a career level.

Also, I can never forgive him for Bicentennial Man, because I am a bitter old nerd.