DVDVR Message Board

Legitimately All Time Great Actors

Fat Spanish Waiter

I love guys like Ron Perlman and Colm Meaney, but let's be realistic. Who are the all time greatest actors?

I'm gonna throw DiCaprio in there to start things off. He's great when he's just being a guy in a movie (The Departed), but when he's set up to own a movie, like Gatsby or Django, he just absorbs everyone into the supernova.

Tom Hanks is incredibly great at being the most likable dude.  I wish there was more in his catalog like Road to Perdition though.  More variety in his performances. 

Forest Gump is boilerplate, but there's nothing wrong with his work in it. 

The funniest thing is someone trying to recreate Forrest Gump with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I can't believe that was nominated for Best Picture. Pitt is good and the visual effects and make up are top notch but I expected so much more out of it. We left going...  "what.. that's it?!". I really thought it would be amazing. So disappointing.

Struggling to think of a bad Denzel movie. I didn't really like Book of Eli.

I blame Mila Kunis.

Since ATG is subjective, I'll just list every great actor I can think of.

Meaney is like Clancy Brown. Will never be the head guy in any movie but such an outstanding actor.

Depp and Pacino were so awesome in Donnie Brasco. Both have been up or down for me since then.

Giancarlo Esposito has done a lot of shitty movies (ie that Carlito's Way prequel and other throwaway B-movies), but he transforms for every role.

Getting my favorite European/Australian guys out of the way: Daniel Day Lewis, Gary Oldman, Idris Elba, David Oyelowo, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tom Hardy, Alan Rickman, Ciaran Hinds, John Hurt, Geoffrey Rush

I'll throw in William Hurt and Liev Schreiber. Michael Shannon is super intense in everything.

Brando and De Niro is obvious, but a good portion of the supporting role people from the first two Godfather movies: John Marley, Lee Strasberg, GD Spradlin, John Cazale, and Sterling Hayden just to mention a few.

Adolph Caesar and Calvin Lockhart basically paved the way for Denzel so they are on my list too.