DVDVR Message Board

TUESDAY IS SONG STUCK IN YOUR HEAD DAY!

Pete

(this song isn't on youtube, but it is good and you should seek it out, it is called "Are We Getting Any Closer?" and it is by Songs: Ohia off the record "Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma." I want to build a house on the chords they use in this song.)

All those days
We don't have days like that left to us
Grey flames
They circle around the blue sky

There were so many things we couldn't manage
And there are so many things we still can't manage
I remember us
Uncertain
Staring straight across the silence
Of the deserted world
To see if we were getting any closer

Are we getting any closer?

I don't know that it was stuck in my head, but for some reason I found myself listening to about 15 different versions of "Helter Skelter" yesterday. U2's is still the best, though Paul McCartney sounds far better than he has any right to at his age.

@OSJ  Any chance you checked out the Siouxsie and the Banshees version, particularly the one from the live Nocturne album?

@AxB False, as I think they'd both be considered big deals.

• Like 1

@zev

Don't be silly, that was the first one I played. I do love  me some Siouxsie Sue. When all is said and done, my Irish prejudice shows through and even though I find him a sanctimonious, self-righteous twat*, I have to give to Bono for just fucking killing it on Rattle & Hum.

*Yes, he's done lots of great things, but he's so fucking annoying...

@AxB

In said alternate world, I think she would have found more of a career in film and Beyonce would have stayed the course in music, so both would be big deals but for different reasons.

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's officially Wednesday, but I'm still trying to get to sleep and this isn't helping. Earlier on Tuesday, Mrs. OSJ asked me if Steve Martin could really play the banjo. The short answer is "like a fucking god of bluegrass", however, I wanted to provide some aural evidence, so off to youtube... Of course, any search for "Steve Martin" is going to get you this:

• Like 1

As this has been absolutely fucking tormenting me since I saw the video on MTV Classic's Metal Mayhem LAST FRIDAY, and will not stop tormenting me today of all days, I present this earworm to share the misery. Fucking hell, please stop, please stop, please stop...

Damn, that's the first time I've heard this version, I fucking love it. A million bazillion stars!!! However, just as a counterpoint I give you one of my late heroes making it his own:

• 2 weeks later...