DVDVR Message Board

TUESDAY IS SONG STUCK IN YOUR HEAD DAY!

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

It's not about that song, or even the album, but goddamnit De-Loused in the Comatorium is an all-time great album. If they never released Amputechture, they would have had an amazing three album stretch (De-Loused/Frances/Bedlam).

Funny story, but my best friend met his wife on the fan board, The Comatorium.

Oh, and an extra sidenote: Depending on the day of the week, the Mars Volta are either the best or worst live act. I've heard and watched so many bootlegs over the years, where there will be a stretch of awesome shows where everyone is just ON POINT, and then the next tour date happens and they suck. I didn't know which version I'd get when I saw them in 97 degree heat at Bonnaroo 2009, and unfortunately, it was the version where everything sounds like a goddamn mess.

I can't imagine anything at a festival show sounding its best. The only arena-level show I've ever seen that was worth a damn was Nine Inch Nails. Tom Petty was OK. Foo Fighters mostly wasted my time and haven't put out a good album in 15 years anyway. Dave Matthews Band...well, we were all 19 once, so there's my mulligan.

I can measure how out-of-touch I am by TMV, basically. I grabbed Noctorniquet at a used album shop back in June and only realized then it was the "last" album they did (side note to that: it's REALLY weird when the last word of an album is your name). And now they've come all the way back around and teased releasing new material eventually (who the Hell knows when that will be).

Though my lack of awareness about the band is due in large part to a long-standing dislike of Frances. I've given it 4 or 5 more listens over the last few months, and I've turned a corner with it, but it doesn't hold its center the way De-loused does. By the time you get to "Miranda", they're kind of losing steam, and "Cassandra Geminni" definitely meanders a lot. But what they do with "Vismund" and "L'Via" though, is the best sort of oddball trippiness, the auditory version of the feeling I get from the better half of Aronofsky's movies.

One of these days I'll pick up the 3 I'm missing. Fortunately, though, all the At the Drive-In records are available on Amazon Music, and listening to those was a real eye-opener. It feels like Cedric & Omar have followed a path through their profession not unlike that of Corin Tucker & Carrie Brownstein. You could listen to the first 2 Sleater-Kinney records and hear the greatness coming, but it hadn't really hit, and that's how ATDI felt to me, particularly given that Cedric just Mackaye's his way through all the vocals on the first 3 ATDI albums. You have no clue at all from those what a great singer he actually is. Then De-loused is essentially the equivalent to Dig Me Out, where all the pieces come together and you finally hear how grand these groups can truly be.

De-loused is also something I'm trying to twist around into a novel, and now that I'm a little more aware of Julio Venegas' backstory/influence on the record, it's made it a Hell of a lot easier to take the direction I had envisioned all along, since now I don't have to worry that I'm re-treading anything whatsoever.

The booklet that came with some copies of De-Loused actually had the concept of the album presented as a short story, if I'm remembering correctly.

I was definitely a fan of At the Drive-In before The Mars Volta, but I just remember being so turned off by Cedric's vocals on Inertiatic ESP at the time that I never gave it a second listen until "Frances the Mute" came out and I was in a better place, musically, to enjoy that type of music. It's kind of jarring to hear Cedric do something like Alpha Centauri and then hear him on "De-Loused". It's the same with Omar, too.

98% of the live shows I've seen have been at Bonnaroo, a festival, and I've run the gamut when it comes to show quality. JAY Z was incredible live, but Black Star sucked. My Morning Jacket, Arcade Fire, Ty Segall, James Blake, The Growlers... all fantastic in a festival setting. The only two shows I've seen outside of a festival setting have been Nine Inch Nails and She & Him, and those were both great too, so. It's weird, though, because She & Him sounded infinitely better at the Ryman than they did during the afternoon at Bonnaroo.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've been on a Nate Webb kick, and "Teenage Dirtbag" has been stuck in my head since watching Joey Janela's "Lost in New York".

On a side note, MJF is one of the best things going on the indies right now. He reminds me of cross between EC3 and Alex Shelley.

Black and orange stray cat sittin' on a fence
I ain't got enough dough to pay the rent
I'm flat broke but I don't care
I strut right by with my tail in the air

Stray cat strut, I'm a ladies cat
I'm a feline Casanova, hey man that's that
Get a shoe thrown at me from a mean old man
Gettin' my dinner from a garbage can

Yeah, don't cross my path!

I don't bother chasing mice around
I slink down the alleyway looking for a fight
Howling to the moonlight on a hot summer night
Singin' the blues while the lady cats cry
"Wild stray cat, you're a real gone guy"
I wish I could be as carefree and wild
But I got cat class and I got cat style

I don't bother chasing mice around
I slink down the alleyway looking for a fight
Howling to the moonlight on a hot summer night
Singin' the blues while the lady cats cry
"Wild stray cat, you're a real gone guy"
I wish I could be as carefree and wild
But I got cat class and I got cat style

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I am shocked -- SHOCKED -- that none of my crew have never ever talked about this band. I personally only have heard the name in passing. 

EDIT: They were actually compared to said crew who were actually this band in a review. You'll probably like them a lot: 

https://wemustdismantleallthis.bandcamp.com/

I only barely discovered Nux Vomica after they broke up, when their self-titled album came out.  That album was absolutely perfect.  I'll check out that other band too.  But check out the Nux Vomica self-titled.  three songs, 45 minutes of brilliance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm walking my mom and sister to the train they take home to the city. Mom asks how much time we have- I tell her we should be good as long as we don't dilly dally too much. My 77-year-old mother then starts singing THIS.

Last night I had the strangest dream
I sailed away to China
In a little row boat to find ya
And you said you had to get your laundry cleaned
Didn't want no one to hold you What does that mean
And you said

Ain't nothin' gonna break-a my stride
Nobody gonna slow me down, oh no
I got to keep on movin'
Ain't nothin' gonna break-a my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh no, I got to keep on movin'