DVDVR Message Board

Recommend TV Shows Not From The States. The Sequel

_MJ_

Wasn't actually the solution, that was pretty obvious I thought.

Definitely, there was meant to be a question mark over it, but it was less wacky and far more believable than the other suggestions offered, so I think the idea was Sherlock was telling the truth there. Watson wasn't bothered how he did it, and he just needed someone to confess it to, even if it was Anderson.

I don't think they're ever going to answer it 100% though, and may just keep throwing out absurd theories with the whole "go with whatever one you want" idea.

Not sure this has been mentioned before, but Bad Education with Jack Whitehall, Matthew Horne and Michelle Gomez was one of the best sitcoms on TV last year.

I know many people don't like Whitehall, but that sitcom was hilarious.

It's a sitcom about a high school. Whitehall is a clueless, idiotic, childish history teacher and his classroom is full of a bunch of teenage kids with different personalities. Whitehall usually does most things wrong and ends up a bunch of messes. Hilariousness ensues in every episode.

For those of you outside of the UK like myself, the episodes are usually on YouTube and I highly recommend you guys check it out.

I'm sure someone from the UK who's seen it will chip in on how good it is.

Horrible Histories Series 1 - 5. Live action sketch show based on Terry Deary's books, won a few bafta's last few years. Those of you who know a bit of British comedy will see lots of recognisable faces. Really funny, educational and is funny for adults just as much as for kids. Type it in youtube and watch a few of the sketches, guarantee you'll fall in love with it, especially the musical pieces. Infact...:

Sherlock continues to descend into farce. It's a crime show in which solving crimes has seemingly become an afterthought.

I do think a big part of the problem is that they aren't doing more episodes, though. It feels like they're trying to cram everything in and inevitably the storytelling is getting swept under the rug.

I tend to prefer to the British idea of not churning out episode after episode for the sake of it, like in the US, but 3 episodes every 2 or 3 years is pretty ridiculous.

Me and the wife really enjoy the British crime/mystery/detective shows so much more than what Hollywood offers.

We finished Wire in the Blood. Right now we're in the middle Prime Suspect and Waking the Dead. Planning to see also Jonathan Creek, Silent Witness, Inspector Lewis and Foyle's War. Recommendations are welcome.

Jonathan Creek is fantastic, even if it did start falling in quality a bit by the third season.

-Great writing, and maybe the best "How Did They Do It?" show ever. It might as well be called Locked Room Mystery: The Show. It's sort of like if Edgar Allen Poe and Conan Arthur Doyle teamed up to do a BBC drama about a magician's assitant and his pushy female friend.

-Avoids a lot of the cliches of crime shows: Creek isn't that keen to get involved usually. One of my favourite moments is when someone who needs his help tracks him down because she's heard about his mad skillz~! and he's, like, "shouldn't you be going to the police?" He's also kind of wimpy and the most physical thing he ever does is disable a bad guy by flicking a playing card at him.

-Alan Davies is terrific. Creek is obviously an amazingly gifted guy, but he also plays him as pretty relatable and down to Earth.

There are R1 Jonathan Creek DVDs for sale at places like BArnes and Noble stores. As a QI / Tuesday Club fan, i found Davies entertaining in these. And once i found Julia Sawalha was his companion for a while, double thumbs up.

I don't think anything quite matches the chemistry Davies/Quentin had, but I thought Sawalha was pretty good. I did like the hints they would give from time to time about just how trashy and exploitative the crime tv show she she hosted actually was.

Me and the wife really enjoy the British crime/mystery/detective shows so much more than what Hollywood offers.

We finished Wire in the Blood. Right now we're in the middle Prime Suspect and Waking the Dead. Planning to see also Jonathan Creek, Silent Witness, Inspector Lewis and Foyle's War. Recommendations are welcome.

Check out Cracker if you haven't already. Very gritty. I also used to enjoy A Touch of Frost. Not sure how well it's held up.

Also, holy shit at the Moyes/Taggart conversation. Stunning.

• Like 1

I'll pretty much watch anything Rik Mayall or Adrian Edmondson, specifically Young Ones and Bottom. Fun fact, the Young Ones has musical performances, because they found out they'd get more money for the show if it was classified as a variety show.

This one has the Damned, which is my favourite of their guest performances.

http://youtu.be/OqbMvbP_j1k

The party ep is probably my favourite overall.

http://youtu.be/RP-fLBADJUM

I gave the Young Ones many shots, but never got around to liking it or finding it funny at all. I guess it's one of those shows that didn't age well.

Bottom i liked though. It's much, much better and it did age well as it still holds since the humor in it was way ahead of their time.

Sherlock continues to descend into farce. It's a crime show in which solving crimes has seemingly become an afterthought.

I do think a big part of the problem is that they aren't doing more episodes, though. It feels like they're trying to cram everything in and inevitably the storytelling is getting swept under the rug.

I tend to prefer to the British idea of not churning out episode after episode for the sake of it, like in the US, but 3 episodes every 2 or 3 years is pretty ridiculous.

I agree that the first episode of this season was bit of a mess but I really liked the second episode. The crime part was a bit of an afterthought but the comedic stuff worked greated, I thought and I have no problems with them doing a full-fledged comedy-episode.

I agree that the first episode of this season was bit of a mess but I really liked the second episode. The crime part was a bit of an afterthought but the comedic stuff worked greated, I thought and I have no problems with them doing a full-fledged comedy-episode.

When you've only got three episodes every season can you really get away with doing a silly comedy episide, though?

Technically two, if you count last week.

I was bored and wanted to try something new on Netflix and "Endeavour". Basically tried it on a whim and discovered its a prequel to Inspector Morse, which was always one of those PBS Msytery shows I kind of blew off in the 90s. 3 episodes deep and I'm really enjoying it so far. The Opera Killer episode is kind of predictable but the first 2 episodes are reall good "Whodunnit?" mysteries. Needless to say I'll be watching the rest of season 1 of Endeavour.

James