DVDVR Message Board

Recommend TV Shows Not From The States. The Sequel

_MJ_

• 2 weeks later...

Is this just for shows in English? If not, I'd highly recommend checking out Paquita Salas on Netflix.

Description from it's Wiki:

Paquita Salas is a down-on-her-luck talent agent whose agency, PS Management, is struggling due to her outdated professional style. When her most famous client abandons her, Paquita's world comes crashing down. Alongside her faithful assistant Magüi and office handyman Alex, Paquita is forced to reignite her search for new talent.

I discovered this on Thursday and binged watched it over the weekend. It's only 3 seasons and the first and second seasons are 5 episodes long and the third season is 6 episodes long. It's quickly turned into one of my faves and defo. a show I can see myself revisiting numerous times. It's an Office style mockumentary. Úrsula Corderó from La Casa de Papel/Money Heist makes an appearance in one of the episodes along with a lot of other famous Spanish actors.

Speaking of La Casa de Papel/Money Heist -- that's what's queued up for us next. I usually don't watch much TV shows outside of sitcoms and documentaries, but La Casa de Papel has received a lot of praise worldwide and I saw the trailer for season 3 of it yesterday and decided I'll give it a watch.

Brassic starring (and created by) Joe Gilgun starts today. Yes, they gave the guy who plays Cassidy in Preacher his own show.

He's as likely to get pigeonholed as Rudy from Misfits as Cassidy or Woody. I do love that he actually got Woody's LOL tattoo done for real though.

EDIT: Speaking of This Is England, did the three follow up mini-series actually air in the USA at all? Because if you've only seen the movie, you don't have anything like the full story. There's chapters set in 1986, 88 and 90 to catch up on. And they had to end there or they'd be looking to cast actors to play Paddy Considine and Bob Hoskins.

Edited by AxB

Joe Gilgun will never ever not be Woody to me. In the same way that Idris Elba could do a bunch more films and 83 more Luthers but he'd always be Stringer Bell to me.

I watched the first 4 episodes of Brassic though, a lot of the Sky One productions are usually hyped and then end up shite but this one is really quite good. It's a show which isn't quite what you think it is based on the trailers. 

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 1

My wife and I finished La Casa de Papel/Money Heist on Tuesday and yeah, it lived up to the hype and now we understand why it's the most watched foreign show on Netflix with part 3 receiving over 34 million views across the world in the first week it was released.

On 8/22/2019 at 12:30 PM, AxB said:

He's as likely to get pigeonholed as Rudy from Misfits as Cassidy or Woody. I do love that he actually got Woody's LOL tattoo done for real though.

EDIT: Speaking of This Is England, did the three follow up mini-series actually air in the USA at all? Because if you've only seen the movie, you don't have anything like the full story. There's chapters set in 1986, 88 and 90 to catch up on. And they had to end there or they'd be looking to cast actors to play Paddy Considine and Bob Hoskins.

I don't think they ever aired and I didn't even know they did a series until earlier this summer when This is England 86 popped up on Amazon Prime. The 86 series was the only one on any streaming platform so I had to do a deep dive on YouTube and Daily Motion to find 88 and 90.

I don't remember how I initially got hyped to TiE, but I made it a point to seek out the various follow-ups as they came out.  Lol, Woody and Kelly were such wonderfully, fully written and acted characters that I've followed the Joe, Vicky and Chanel across their various roles without fail.  Thomas Turgoose had the worst luck of having his incredibly awkward phase documented fully on film.

Chanel Creswell hasn't done quite as much as Vicky McClure or Joe Gilgun though. I saw she was in The Aliens (I think that's what it was called, with Michael Socha and Mykaela Cole) but it turned out her part was pretty minor.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 11:54 PM, Gonzo said:

Since I haven't mentioned it here in a while, I just wanted to declare again that Wentworth is still the best show on television and all seven seasons are now on Netflix U.S.

Started watching Wentworth about 3 weeks ago. In the middle of season 3 now and damn this is good. Saw it has 2 more seasons to go,for a total of 9.

• 2 months later...

A friend has hooked me up with Season 3 of This Country. This is a mockumentary following two cousins who live in rural England. I think that line-by-line and scene-by-scene that it's the funniest TV show ever made. The first two seasons are available on Hulu in the US. If anyone else is a fan -- Oh, wow, Season 3 is as just as much as a masterpiece as the first two. 

Been doing a rewatch of Father Ted. 

I hate to say that, for me, maybe it hasn't aged very well. 

Part of it may also be how much the creators were influenced by a certain American sitcom built around cringy humor and unlikable characters. 

I watched the Sweeney!/Sweeney 2 blu ray set from Kino Lorber, loved it, and out of morbid curiosity picked up the 2012 remake off of eBay.

My goodness, what a wretched piece of shit that remake is.  Incredibly misogynistic, and director Nick Love (aside from exposing himself as homophobic) admits on the commentary track that the movie is a rip-off of Heat.

How the hell did Ben "Plan B" Drew not get a Worst Actor nomination at the 2013 Razzies?

If there is anything positive to be said about it, it really exposes what a great actress Hayley Atwell is, as she is incredibly convincing in trying to communicate that her character feels genuine sexual desire for a shirtless Ray Winstone.  No wonder she keeps signing up for Marvel movies, when the alternative is thankless roles like this.

Edited by Southside Jim

On 4/7/2020 at 1:17 AM, odessasteps said:

Been doing a rewatch of Father Ted. 

I hate to say that, for me, maybe it hasn't aged very well. 

Part of it may also be how much the creators were influenced by a certain American sitcom built around cringy humor and unlikable characters. 

Father Ted is one of those shows that I can watch at any point in the series and love.

The chemistry was strong on that show.

Just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I should put this here: so I went ahead and started binging Gomorra (can the 'H' if you're Italian I guess). It's pretty brutal. There are absolutely no redeeming characters at all and a lot of totally unforgivable violence done to innocent people, some of it so bad (and thankfully off-camera) that I hesitate to write it up. But even as someone who hates shows like Billions or Dallas or whatever where it's just a bunch of assholes doing horrible things, there are really interesting character arcs in play and, I dunno, I need a new crime drama to sink my teeth into. And like The Wire, it's based on stuff that has probably happened except the names being changed to protect the guilty. Having a basis in fact will always make me more interested. 

Probably the craziest episode has a mafia member told to go to a meeting to garner a truce with another boss. This guy tried to burn the boss and his mother out of their home in the first episode. So when they get their hands on him, they take him out on a boat and leave him to drown, fittingly... but then pick him up and bring him back awhile later because they want him to try and negotiate with some Russians that are trying to kill THEM, whereupon he is forced to play Russian roulette to a drunk group of 'thieves in law' and their hookers. So, you can see why I'm still watching.

I know a bunch of UK folks who are engrossed by it, many of them Wire devotees.

i’ll stick to 60s/70s British sitcoms and spy shows for upcoming pod show. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1