DVDVR Message Board

Recommend TV Shows Not From The States. The Sequel

_MJ_

Things for you guys to check out -

James Acaster - His 4 part standup is on netflix and is awesome if whimsical, somewhat surreal humour is up your street. Watch them in order as he refers back to earlier jokes as the shows go on. My new favourite comedian and he's ubiquitous these days on British TV or at least that's what my youtube recommendations infer.

Taskmaster - He's on the most recent season (7). I'd never watched the show before but supposedly this is the best season with all of the contestants having a good rapport with each other. The entire season is up on Dailymotion.

Would I Lie to You? - Probably the best panel show going with the three regulars (Rob Brydon, Lee Mack, David Mitchell) having great chemistry. All of these are up on Youtube as full shows or clips, but would recommend searching for Bob Mortimer's clips. He had me in genuine hysterical laughter one night.

Dara O'Briain - never been much of a fan of his but his standup stuff is cracking me up on youtube lately

On 3/18/2019 at 8:03 PM, driver said:

Enjoying the ever living shit out of Letterkenny. Reminds me a bit of Trailer Park Boys and Bay Ridge Boys.

Thank you so much for recommending Letterkenny.  I am absolutely loving this show.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, driver said:

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Entire series is up on Youtube. Only names I recognize are Matt Berry and Richard Ayoade. Funny show.

Cannot recommend this series enough. Richard Ayoade's "bad acting" is glorious. Also, this is the best song in the history of television:

For any Matthew Berry fans, I'd really recommend watching Snuff Box with Rich Fulcher. Short series, only 6 episodes or so, and delightfully weird. It basically a sketch show, with a loose story through line, where each episode pretty much just does the same sketches as the previous episodes, but slightly heightened in absurdity.

The theme is another great Matt Berry song.

On the Matt Berry tip, Toast of London is also available on Netflix. A very mixed bag of humour but some really funny bits when it's on form. I particularly love the random character names - Cliff Bonanza, Betty Pimples, Penny Traitor, Ken Suggestion, Hamilton Meathouse and of course, Clem Fandango and a shitload more.

Toast of London definitely gets better after it gets going. I remember not being super into after an episode or two, but then blowing through the whole thing in a couple days. "Yes, I can hear you Clem Fandango."

Basically if Matt Berry appears in something, it's usually worth a watch.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:27 AM, J.T. said:

Killing Eve S2 starts on April 7th.  FUCK YEAH~!

How did I not know about this show until last night? This is fucking great!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 6:07 AM, elizium said:

Toast of London definitely gets better after it gets going. I remember not being super into after an episode or two, but then blowing through the whole thing in a couple days. "Yes, I can hear you Clem Fandango."

Basically if Matt Berry appears in something, it's usually worth a watch.

"Hold on, my balls are about to fizz."

Matt Berry just did another one of his great fake documentaries last month, it was about Brexit. This remains the best one he's done though

• Like 1

I was going through some of my late wife's things and came upon a few recordings she made on the DVR a few months before she passed. Among the recordings was 2-3 episodes of "Vicious", a recent ITV sitcom that's had a few airings on PBS stations. 

It's essentially an elderly, more biting "Will & Grace" with Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi as a bickering couple going together for 50 years and counting. McKellen and Jacobi are able to raise up the pretty mediocre scripts and you can get at least one good laugh per episode. My wife was a "W&G" fan so I can see why she liked this. Plus you get Ramsey Bolton from "Game of Thrones" as the neighbor ...

I was a big fan of Rich Hall as a child from his "Sniglets" days on "Not Necessarily the News". Then he disappeared, and I wondered what became of him. Imagine my surprise about a decade ago when I learned he's become the UK's "resident American wit", with a huge following in Britain and Australia (while all but forgotten in the U.S.). 

I've caught several of Hall's appearances on UK comedy, panel and game shows on YT, but I only recently had the chance to watch the documentaries Hall has made for BBC4. Several of them are available on YT, and generally focus on teaching the UK fact from fiction about how pop culture (particularly film) paints Americana ....

• 2 months later...

Any thoughts on Fleabag? I've been seeing for a long while (mostly on The Guardian to be fair) that it's one of the greatest comedies of the last few years, but I'm halfway through the first season and it does very little for me. The occasional smirk here and there and I enjoy her little glances towards the camera, but otherwise I find it unfunny and mostly kind of depressing. Does it pick up later or is it just one of those things where if I don't like it now, I might as well stop because it's more of the same throughout?

On 1/4/2016 at 10:49 AM, J.H. said:

Well The Wife and I couldn't sleep and thus ended up watching the first 5 episodes of Australian prison drama Wentworth. I'm meh on Orange Is The New Black but for some reason I'm totally sucked into Wentworth!

Maybe its the complete lack of comedy and it feels grimier

James

This.

Last episode was one of the best episodes they've ever done. So well written, everything blending in at once.

Binged S2 of Derry Girls while watchign the baby yesterdayand loved it!
1. I had no idea there was an actual dance to "Rock The Boat"
2. I had no idea the Irish go mental for "Rock The Boat"
3. Sweet Christ do I LOVE Sister Michael!

James

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

1. I had no idea there was an actual dance to "Rock The Boat"
2. I had no idea the Irish go mental for "Rock The Boat"

Oh, it's definitely a thing. I'm from Derry, I was at a wedding not too long ago, we did Rock the Boat. 

As silly as it sounds, it still amazes me that people across the Atlantic are enjoying a show about my wee hometown (possibly some are enjoying it with the use of subtitles?) but, then, it amazed most of us here that the show ever got made in the first place. Shows only get made about Belfast or Dublin, they don''t get made about Derry. The only shit I can ever remember filmed in this town were the Bloody Sunday films. 

I'll still be a slight stickler about the accents though because I am that pernickety. I recently re-watched the 1st episode and the only legit Derry accents in the whole thing are Erin, Michelle and the girl at the back of the bus who tells them to fuck off. But, that's okay, the pool of Derry actors would be quite small and I understand they had to go elsewhere and the Derry accent is probably super hard to do and anyone outside of here probably wouldn't even notice anyway so I'm just being a bellend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Oh, it's definitely a thing. I'm from Derry, I was at a wedding not too long ago, we did Rock the Boat. 

As silly as it sounds, it still amazes me that people across the Atlantic are enjoying a show about my wee hometown (possibly some are enjoying it with the use of subtitles?) but, then, it amazed most of us here that the show ever got made in the first place. Shows only get made about Belfast or Dublin, they don''t get made about Derry. The only shit I can ever remember filmed in this town were the Bloody Sunday films. 

I'll still be a slight stickler about the accents though because I am that pernickety. I recently re-watched the 1st episode and the only legit Derry accents in the whole thing are Erin, Michelle and the girl at the back of the bus who tells them to fuck off. But, that's okay, the pool of Derry actors would be quite small and I understand they had to go elsewhere and the Derry accent is probably super hard to do and anyone outside of here probably wouldn't even notice anyway so I'm just being a bellend.

Are you counting Father Ted? Or since it was a British show, is that a different category? 

Saw an announcement that there would be no fourth series of Humans, so I thought I'd better watch the third one. Surprisingly, the ending didn't resolve very much. It's one of those shows that started out as a domestic drama that gradually shifted into into 'Only we can save the World' drama. Good stuff throughout though. One of those shows featuring an awful lot of very attractive people in the cast.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Are you counting Father Ted? Or since it was a British show, is that a different category? 

Father Ted was set (and shot) in the Republic of Ireland, Derry Girls in Northern Ireland. Two different countries. That's why there's only one person who appeared in both (Tommy Tiernan). Although obviously the two and a half decades between them happening is also a factor.

On 2/21/2019 at 11:45 AM, J.T. said:

I have heard good things about it and I am a big fan of the webcomic series it's based on, but I haven't freed up enough time from my other binge watching favorites and video gaming schedule to sit down and check it out.

I am on episode three of THE KINGDOM and I don’t want to oversell it but I’d say it’s better than The Wire and Buffy the Vampire Slayer combined. 

Edited by Control