DVDVR Message Board

Recommend TV Shows Not From The States. The Sequel

_MJ_

On 9/24/2018 at 8:21 AM, CreativeControl said:

Watched Bodyguard as I'm a mega fan of Line of Duty and Keeley Hawes. It was okay, very tense in parts but the payoff wasn't great... though everything leading up to it was fun so I can kinda forgive it

You'll notice similarities as Jed Mercurio headed up both shows.

Looking forward to Bodyguard.

Meanwhile in Line of Duty News 

• 1 month later...

Here's a good one for you to try: Babylon Berlin.

It's a detective/noir story set in pre WW2 Germany, dealing with the fallout from WW1 on a character level as well as the political turmoil on the undercurrent. It's also really glitzy and such a breathe of fresh air getting away from the tropes a period detective piece tends to bring with it when set in the states.

There's been two series so far and I loved it and usually have trouble watching foreign stuff

• 2 weeks later...

So I posted one of these in the Fallout 76 thread and everyone in there liked it. But that's only like 3 guys, and it was a five minute version. But then I realised that not only would none of the Americans on the board know it, it was long enough ago that all of the other Brits on the board would have been too young to have seen it as well. So here you go, Rob Newman and David Baddiel doing History Today for 24 whole minutes:

• 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, J.T. said:

Seasons One of Undercover is now up in my BBC America queue.  Is it any good?

I haven't watched it. From what I've heard, great idea, good early episodes but peters out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Execproducer said:

So, The Bill? Is it worth my time?

Not unless you've got an awful lot of it. It used to air at 7pm on weekdays, after Emmerdale and before Coronation street. It's basically that, but with Police. You will see the odd future megastar making their screen debut aged 12 though. Casualty is more fun though. You can just watch the first five minutes and play predict the disaster.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

UK STUFF I HAVE WATCHED LATELY BECAUSE I AM ON A KICK.

This Country (Hulu) - It's an Office-style mockumentary about life in rural England. It follows two cousins around who have no money and even less to do. I think this is the funniest TV show I have ever watched in my life. I'm doing my THIRD rewatch in a month. It's absolutely insane how funny it is. IRL, the main characters are siblings who grew up in The Cotswolds and returned to the area and still live there. I am serious. This show is in the pantheon of my favorite TV shows of all-time. It's up there with The Office(s), Cheers, Good Place, Parks and Rec, Friday Night Lights, The Wire, etc. 

Derry Girls (Netflix) - Great slice-of-life coming-of-age tale about a group of Northern Irish girls (and their one male Brit friend). It's really funny. It reminds me a lot of Freaks and Geeks in several ways. I thought this would be my favorite TV show I watched this year until I found This Country. It's still an A+.

People Just Do Nothing (Netflix) - Another mockumentary. This time, it's about the "geniuses" behind a pirate radio station that play somewhat outdated rave music. This is also a hilarious show. and well worth your time. They're supposedly making an American version about EDM DJs.

The Detectorists (Hulu) - An odd couple comedy about two friends whose main bond is their love of trying to find treasure via metal detectors. It has the oddest pace of a TV show ever. It's almost like doing yoga. Very peaceful and relaxing and charming and funny. 

I also really liked The Bodyguard a lot. It was really fun and tense. I sorta lost interest by the very end but they threw a lot at us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Control said:

Has anyone watched this South Korean TV show KINGDOM that’s on Netflix? It’s a zombie period piece and I’m intrigued.

I have heard good things about it and I am a big fan of the webcomic series it's based on, but I haven't freed up enough time from my other binge watching favorites and video gaming schedule to sit down and check it out.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 6:41 AM, Pete said:

We're hooked on the Great British Bake Off (called "The Great British Baking Show" in the US because Pillsbury has a trademark on "Bake-Off" and you don't fuck with the Dough Boy) after binging a couple of seasons on Netflix. Really puts the American contests to shame.

I highly recommend catching the Great Australian Bake Off. It's the British version but with a twist: people often give each other a hand and the judges look the other way. Legit really nice peeps. On the other hand, the Great Irish Bake Off is kinda brutal. Not fun.

Also, make sure to watch their charity/celebrity specials. The Great Celebrity Bake Off, Great Sport Relief Bake Off, etc.

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure this was covered somewhere but the search didn't show any hits...

I recommend Life on Mars. Fantastic series, from start to finish. If you become hooked enough, watch the American version, it's solid and the ending they went with is legit cool.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2016 at 1:21 AM, Swiftian said:

Just started watching the first season. It's genuinely gripping so far, and I didn't have to get up early for work tomorrow, I'd be binge watching it right now.

Also just getting around to watching Happy Valley - finished S1 last night - god damn that show is dark as hell. Some of the scenes are just brutal 

Bizarre old news of the week: When they were originally putting Red Dwarf together, they cast Alan Rickman as Rimmer and Alfred Molina as Lister.