DVDVR Message Board

Recommend TV Shows Not From The States. The Sequel

_MJ_

• 2 months later...

Well, series 2 of Humans just finished. It was very ambitious... kind of jarring really, how it was swinging from international world shaking events to domestic troubles with the family. I'd be shocked if it wasn't back for a third series at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

Taboo starring Tom Hardy, written by Tom Hardy and his Dad, Chips Hardy. Started on BBC 1 last sunday.

Also, that Idris Elba Muay Thai documentary starts next week, on Discovery (UK).

• 3 weeks later...

So I just caught the movie, MI-5, on HBO today with Peter Firth as disgraced intel chief, Harry Pierce,and Kit Harrington in a modern piece and desperately trying to avoid typecasting and playing in medieval epics for the rest of his life.

It wasn't a half bad movie and I vaguely remember a brief run of the movie's predecessor (the television show, Spooks) on BBC America.

So, which seasons of Spooks do you Brits recommend and no, I am not so dim as to be offended by the title.

7 hours ago, driver said:

Didn't know there was a movie. Watched all of MI5 on Netflix when streaming was in its infancy. I thought all of the seasons were good, I'm not a Brit...

From the looks of the MI-5 promo poster, you'd have no idea there was a Spooks television series.

MI5.jpg

Looks like an action vehicle for Kit Harrington, but it isn't some mindless bullet romp.

The producers changed the title from Spooks:  The Greater Good to MI-5 because Americans are dumb and easily offended and don't really remember Cold War vernacular.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Last Kingdom is back. And apparently it's a Netflix co-production with the BBC now. So I would guess they've added Season One there already.

Also, new new Top Gear works a lot better than old new Top Gear. Chris Evans' team is pretty good now he's not on it. Not sure what happened to Eddie Jordan or Sabine Schmidt, but the LeBlanc/ Harris/ Reid trio looks good.

Wasn't into Grand Tour at all. Self-indulgent and repetitive.

• 2 months later...

Started re-watching The I.T. Crowd because I realised Xav had never seen it (and now he's nine days away from turning 13, he's old enough to understand it). It's still really funny. The early episodes with Chris Morris, I'd forgotten how good he was as Denholm Reynholm.

The episode where Jen gets Employee of the Month has maybe the most transphobic gag I can remember being exposed to in years and, within 30 seconds of that, the absolute hardest I've laughed at a TV show in the 21st century with the fist bump.

• 3 weeks later...

Idris Elba is set to reprise his role as London homicide detective John Luther with a new four-part installment of “Luther.”

“Luther” creator Neil Cross is on board to shepherd the production, set to begin early next year for BBC and BBC America. The most recent two-part installment of “Luther” aired in December 2015.

Cross said he and Elba decided there was a great deal of “unfinished business” for the character to tackle in a new batch of episodes.

“Because we love John and wonder what he’s up to,” Cross said. “In the end, we picked up the phone to some old friends and asked if they’d like to find out what happens next. It turns out, they would. So that’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to find out what happens next.”

FUCK YES~!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2014 at 8:41 PM, Dusty Finish said:

Recently watched two imports I enjoyed highly.

-- The Fall (Ireland).  Great 5-parter starring Gillian Anderson.  Plot could have been a standard serial killer procedural, but manages to find a fresh take on the material.  Cast was strong, though mostly unfamiliar to me.  Besides Anderson, the big names were Archie Punjabi (supporting player on the Good Wife) and the guy cast as the lead in 50 Shades of Grey, Jamie Dornan. 

-- Rake (Australia).  This was fun.  Much better, and more distinctive than the US version that just started airing on Fox.  God, I wish they simply aired this on US tv.  Better written, probably better acted, and they didn't neuter the main character.  I guess a Fox exec watched the Aus version and decided a adulterous drug addict wouldn't fly as a lead in the US.  Kinnear plays the US lead more as a likeable loser with some issues.  Roxbury's character is truly repellant at times.  Lost in the translation to the US is much of the bite of the series.  The original show is more social satire, an indictment of a system that allows Cleaver Greene to mostly thrive despite himself.  Rake really needed to be brought to cable, not network tv.  The show necessarily had to ditch the sex and drugs of the original, and the result is kinda bland so far. 

Season 4 of Rake is now on Netlfix. Its a great show, and has that subtle kind of humor that the Brits(and Aussie's) do so well. . . . 

• 1 year later...

So, anyone watching Bodyguard? Because it's the biggest show in the UK right now. Everyone's saying Richard Madden (now no longer most famous for playing Robb Stark) is in the picture for the James Bond gig on the strength of it. And plot-wise, it's unpredictable.

Haven't checked out Black Earth Rising yet, but apparently that's fantastic too.

We're hooked on the Great British Bake Off (called "The Great British Baking Show" in the US because Pillsbury has a trademark on "Bake-Off" and you don't fuck with the Dough Boy) after binging a couple of seasons on Netflix. Really puts the American contests to shame.