DVDVR Message Board

Recommend TV Shows Not From The States. The Sequel

_MJ_

Well The Wife and I couldn't sleep and thus ended up watching the first 5 episodes of Australian prison drama Wentworth. I'm meh on Orange Is The New Black but for some reason I'm totally sucked into Wentworth!

Maybe its the complete lack of comedy and it feels grimier

James

The first episode new Beowulf: Return to the Shieldlands show was a bit rubbish. Comes across too similar to The Last Kingdom, only with added cgi monsters. Hopefully it'll pick up.

Ian Wright looks like nerdy professor Luthor.

I watched part 1 of the Christmas special, in which he is wearing the coat at the end. Didn't he chuck it in the Thames? So either he went and bought the exact same coat, or he ran back and fished it out when Alice wasn't looking.

The special so far was as dumb as the show usually is. So they've tracked down the killer, but they don't want to go in because it may be booby trapped and they want bomb squad around. Instead of coordinating with bomb squad and them all showing up at the same time, these fools arrive early and sit outside his gaff with their flashing blue lights. Won't give the game up at all lads! Obviously he gets away so the writers can have a part 2.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've watched Broadchurch, Whitechapel, & finally finished the 3 season/series of Luther over the last month. Any suggestions on something I might be able to catch on either hulu or netflix?

It doesn't have to be cop related.

I don't have Netflix, but if "Happy Valley" is there, I'd recommend that.

Just started watching the first season. It's genuinely gripping so far, and I didn't have to get up early for work tomorrow, I'd be binge watching it right now.

Deutschland 83 sounds like a pair of Adidas sneakers, but is actually a pretty great Cold War series. It has the bleakness of 80's Europe down pat. Well acted and I'm amazed how little I need the subtitles at times. Maybe I DID learn something travelling around all over the place in my twenties!

This Guns n Roses documentary on BBC4 is pretty awesome. Once it got into the interviews and the opening sequence puppet show was over.

I'm three episodes in of the Norwegian TV series, Occupied, on Netflix.  The basic plot is Norway has shut off oil supply to Europe to usher in an age of clean energy.  Europe takes offense and Russia invades Norway.  The Norwegian PM lets them roll in to prevent war and Russia goes about restarting Norway's oil production to supply the rest of Europe.  Some ludicrousness aside, pretty enjoyable viewing so far.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After reading the article last week about Matt LeBlanc threatening to leave TG if Chris Evans didn't leave I watched the Rolls Royce Dawn episode. Having read the article it was easy to spot LeBlanc's disdain and his sideways glances towards Evans.

I reckon Evans was basically there to be a firebreak. They knew that whoever they put in place as the replacement was going to get a lot of shit, so they hired Evans because he's used to getting a lot of shit (And he is, or at least was, a friend of Clarkson. After the old racist got fired by the BBC, his first media appearance was on Chris Evans' radio show, on BBC Radio 2). The presenters of the future, the ones they really wanted carrying the show for years to come, are Chris Harris and Rory Reid. But put them as second level guys on this show, give them Extra Gear to win over the hardcores, and Evans can eat the "You're not Jeremy This Sucks Wah Waaah" shit while they look like real guys who know their stuff by comparison, and then he walks away, and they get the job without having a cloud of negativity hanging over them.

I think Evans really wanted it to work, but he was the only one. His constant "I bought this car, this is my car, I own it" deal was exactly the thing an out-of-touch millionaire would do to try to fit in with an audience who could never identify with that. Clarkson, Hammond and May all personally owned fleets of luxury vehicles, but none of them ever made an issue of it onscreen because they knew it would piss people of. Chris Evans doesn't know how, has never known how, to avoid pissing people off.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:49 AM, J.H. said:

Well The Wife and I couldn't sleep and thus ended up watching the first 5 episodes of Australian prison drama Wentworth. I'm meh on Orange Is The New Black but for some reason I'm totally sucked into Wentworth!

Maybe its the complete lack of comedy and it feels grimier

James

My wife and I just started on Orange is the New Black a couple of weeks ago, and we're nearly through Season 2. And I agree. . .Orange is the New Black is a good show, but I enjoy Wentworth a lot more.

Only two episodes left in the current Wentworth season and it's been so good so far.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear TV Producers, 

Dirk Gently is supposed to be an overweight con artist in a old brown coat, red shirt and cap, coke bottle glasses, and green tie from Eastern Europe named Svlad Cjelli.

NOT a Matt Smith clone in a yellow Members Only jacket who seems to genuinely believe in the odd things that happen around him.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, series 2 of Humans just finished. It was very ambitious... kind of jarring really, how it was swinging from international world shaking events to domestic troubles with the family. I'd be shocked if it wasn't back for a third series at some point.