DVDVR Message Board

Recommend TV Shows Not From The States. The Sequel

_MJ_

The MONSTEROUSLY brilliant This Is England has returned with TiE '90.

If you haven't seen the series up to this point, get on it.  It started with the movie, then there were two follow-up series following the characters over the course of the decade.

Also: I ended up watching White Bear again. it's easily the best and most disturbing Black Mirror episode but I do think Brooker ruined it a bit by getting so heavy handed at the end. Yeah: we get it, people are terrible and mob revenge is not justice. You don't have to keep saying it.

I think that's his only real flaw as a writer. He can't just make a point and move on. No real subtlety.

Anyway, I can totally see Hollywood remaking White Bear as a big budget movie in a few years. It's too compelling a concept not to explore more.

The Wife has got me watching Call The Midwife with her.

I actually like the show a lot and find the characters engaging. I especlially like Sister Bernadette/Sheila. Her character arc is fascinating and I imagine morethan a few thousand Nuns have gone through similiar situations as far as commitment to the church v. Wantign a Family .

We just finished off season 2, moving onto season 3

James

• 3 weeks later...

The MONSTEROUSLY brilliant This Is England has returned with TiE '90.

If you haven't seen the series up to this point, get on it.  It started with the movie, then there were two follow-up series following the characters over the course of the decade.

Just catching up in TiE 90. First two episodes really good. Nice how they're shifting the characters, so Woody, Lol and Milky are no longer having youthful hijinks now they're in their 30s.

Danny and the Human Zoo was really good.Fictionalised account of Lenny Henry's early life... Britain was pretty bloody racist in the 70s.

• 3 weeks later...

We finally just made it though THE FALL and then immediately followed up with BROADCHURCH.  i was kind of figuring they would be very similar but wow.

I found THE FALL to be boring, pretentious, ponderous and surprisingly generic and uninspired, even a bit absurd.

And then BROADCHURCH was amazing.  I was annoyed at the cliche "troubled outsider detective" at first but everything else was so tense.  I was on edge the whole time and pretty knocked out by the ending.

Color me somewhat surprised after the show was nearly cancelled after season 2.  I mean season 3 felt like a great way to end the show, so I'm not sure about continuing it, but I will continue to watch regardless.

BBC America announced yesterday that Elba will return as tormented London police detective, John Luther, for a three-hour movie special of the gritty series to air Dec. 17 at 9 p.m.

YES~!

• 3 weeks later...

BBC America announced yesterday that Elba will return as tormented London police detective, John Luther, for a three-hour movie special of the gritty series to air Dec. 17 at 9 p.m.

YES~!

There was a luther ad before Who this week.

There were also a bunch of plugs for the upcoming Luther event during the two Tom Baker blocks of Dr. Who on BBC America this past Sunday morning (Terror of the Zygons and Pyramids of Mars).

I *may* have just let a little bit of sex wee come out.

http://www.the-crystal-maze.com/

There was a game show in the 90's hosted by Richard O'Brien (riff raff from the rocky horror show movie) where people played different types of games to earn crystals to get to the central dome at the end with a chance to win prizes.

Unsurprisingly, it was as camp as a row of tents at Butlins...and I LOVED it.

And now they're doing a live version. And I'm going to get a team together and DOMINATE it.

• Like 1

Nobody dominates the Crystal Maze. The success rate for teams actually getting 100+ gold tickets is down in the bottom 10 most gameshows ever, with Takeshi's Castle, Ninja Warrior and Knightmare.

• 2 weeks later...

What took you so long?? Mind you, I've just started the second season since it just started airing on the local PBS.

I sat down to give The Detectorists a go and ended up watching half the season. It's a great, gentle little show, with some gorgeous English scenery and a few solid laughs sprinkled throughout.