DVDVR Message Board

Recommend TV Shows Not From The States. The Sequel

_MJ_

So I've watched Broadchurch, Whitechapel, & finally finished the 3 season/series of Luther over the last month. Any suggestions on something I might be able to catch on either hulu or netflix?

It doesn't have to be cop related.

The Thick of it is on Hulu, and its fantastic. . . 

So I've watched Broadchurch, Whitechapel, & finally finished the 3 season/series of Luther over the last month. Any suggestions on something I might be able to catch on either hulu or netflix?

It doesn't have to be cop related.

I don't have Netflix, but if "Happy Valley" is there, I'd recommend that.

The guy who was Starkiller in Force Unleashed was the vampire in Being Human USA. Whereas Broadchurch USA had David Tennant in the David Tennant role.

Scandinavian dramas have taught me that people in Scandinavia do nothing but solve murders and wear comfy sweaters all the time.

Man, who knew Denmark could be so dangerous? People must be afraid to so much as leave the house.

Scandinavian dramas have taught me that people in Scandinavia do nothing but solve murders and wear comfy sweaters all the time.

Man, who knew Denmark could be so dangerous? People must be afraid to so much as leave the house.

Millennium novels did nothing to promote Sweedish tourism.  Fascists and serial killers and skinhead biker gangs and super strong dudes with no pain receptors.

Sweden didn't get much tourism before that either. It's cold there. That's why every famous Swedish person doesn't actually live in Sweden any more.

Nordic Noir is an interesting genre. The rest of the world looks at places like Sweden or Denmark and thinks "Well, you guys have got your shit together." And they always top these polls for like women's rights or gay rights, low crime rates, and all seem very sophisticated and untroubled and cool from the outside looking in.

But, really, these shows (and the Stieg Larsson books) seem to be saying "Yeah, it looks great but there's a lot of bad stuff beneath the surface and we're as fucked up as anywhere else."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The local PBS station just started showing a Britcom I'd never heard of called "Vicious." Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi play a couple of old queens who've been together for 50 years and they insult each other (and everyone else) a lot.  Only seen one episode so far, but it's pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I watched The Gamechangers, about the legal feud between Rockstar Games and Jack Thompson. It was OK... Rockstar themselves hated it, and are probably going to give the BBC a receipt whenever GTA 6 comes out. It had some nice touches, but it played really fast and loose with the facts (events that happened five years apart shown as happening simultaneously). But it was really trying too hard to see both sides and portray Jack Thompson as the upstanding moral crusader he pretends to be, and not the ego-driven narcissist he actually is. It really should have done more to show that he himself is a fantasist out of touch with modern reality.

The bit where that kid killed those cops in Alabama was filmed like it was a scene from the game and we were playing it, that was a nice touch. And a lot of the stuff in the Rockstar offices was cliche 'tech genius works too hard and isolates himself from his friends' stuff, like a low budget version of The Social Network. They really should have drawn more attention to the fact that the Hot Coffee scenes in the game had both participants clothed, and then the politicians were saying 'You cannot have this graphic nudity in a game for children'. Really needed a scene of someone listening to that, then looking at the footage and shouting 'What fucking nudity?'

If you watched this with no knowledge of the game, or of what actually happened, you'd like it. If you knew the story going in, you'd spend a lot of time seeing mistakes. Dan Radcliffe did a good job, but he was probably miscast a little bit, because everyone else in the room was older, taller and balder than him, and that made him lack credibility as the boss.

Boy, lots of people talking about that episode of Black Mirror tonight ...

Let's take a second to marvel in the fact that Charlie Brooker sat down and came up with literally the most bizarre, gruesome, sick thing he could think of for a prime minister of Britain to do. 

And David Cameron had already done it.