DVDVR Message Board

Recommend TV Shows Not From The States. The Sequel

_MJ_

Anyone like Ripper Street? It's a police show set in Whitechapel after the last Jack the Ripper killing. It got two seasons on the BBC, was cancelled, then got brought back by amazon funding (BBC are airing season 3 later though.)

I'm kind of intrigued to see if they write in the recent news about researchers using DNA to confirm it was the Polish hairdresser guy.

I love Ripper Street and it is one of my favorite shows.  News about cancellation was devastating, so I was very happy the show got a second lease on life.

Anyone like Ripper Street? It's a police show set in Whitechapel after the last Jack the Ripper killing. It got two seasons on the BBC, was cancelled, then got brought back by amazon funding (BBC are airing season 3 later though.)

I'm kind of intrigued to see if they write in the recent news about researchers using DNA to confirm it was the Polish hairdresser guy.

I love Ripper Street and it is one of my favorite shows.  News about cancellation was devastating, so I was very happy the show got a second lease on life.

Having watched the finale...I think season 3 is probably the last season. Everything seems tied up in a bow.

I heard something about some of the actors not being keen to do another one, so there's also that to consider.

• Like 1

Did anyone catch The Fall season 2 finale?

Gibston/Spectre confrontation was...good, I guess? Maybe a bit too pretentious? (And I like Hannibal for God's sake.) I think the problem with this show is it thinks the serial killer is a lot more interesting than he actually is. I just don't think a woman like Stella would be engrossed by this guy or even have time for all his bullshit. 

I waiting for that something like that amazing moment in Insomnia where Al Pacino breaks it to Robin Williams' murderer character that he finds him about as interesting as the toilet bowl. Never happened. 

• Like 1

I found the whole series kinda silly and dull and it definitely disappeared up its own arse. Particularly eye rollingly cringe worthy during the 76 hour long confrontation between the two was dude banging on about being in a state of existential shock, unchallenged by divine or secular power and the outside world meaning nothing because only the interior world is real and...blah blah blah for fucks sake no-one in Belfast talks like that. Stop it. 

Agreed on the killer actually not actually being interesting enough too but it doesn't help that Dornan's as dull as ditchwater in it. Gillian Anderson also has a rather distracting habit of mumbling because she's talking without moving her lips.

1st series wasn't bad but, yeah, I wasn't feeling the 2nd one. 

Yeah, all throughout that scene I kept thinking "No one actually talks like that!"

It felt Sorkin-esque at points: Someone going through various bullet points so the showrunners can show off how clever they are and it ends up ruining the suspension of disbelief.

I'm a fan of Peaky Blinders. Basically The Sopranos in 1919 Birmingham with some terrific acting from the likes of Cillian Murphy and Sam Neill (and Tom Hardy and Noah Taylor in the second season). Gorgeous style too.

• 2 weeks later...

Get watching this!! Holy shit - what a show. I watched the whole season over the weekend

I believe it's on Netflix in the US. It's in Italian but has English subtitles

Based on Robert Saviano's bestselling book, this gritty Italian crime drama paints a portrait of the brutal Neapolitan crime organisation the Camorra, as seen through the eyes of Ciro Di Marzo, the obedient and self-confident right-hand man of the clan's godfather, Pietro Savastano.

• 2 weeks later...

Having watched the finale...I think season 3 is probably the last season. Everything seems tied up in a bow.

I heard something about some of the actors not being keen to do another one, so there's also that to consider.

The showrunner actually left the door open and said season 4 is possible.  The reason everything got wrapped up this season is just in case.  They ended season 2 on a cliffhanger because they thought they weren't getting cancelled.  They didn't want to risk it again.  

Either way, if this is it, I'm happy with how they wrapped.  If the show does continue, great.  I felt like this season sort of tied up all the loose ends from seasons 1 to 2, not sure what else they can do.  

• 3 weeks later...

Cyberbully, starring Maisie Williams, and a laptop. And other actors only appearing via video chat (technically the guy playing her Dad is a voice actor, being as he only shouts from downstairs or trough the door. Very, very good show. Shockingly good, in fact.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Won't spoil it for you, but the second season is just as good, maybe better. Third not so much, but still good too. It's one of those shows you could watch over & over again and still find funny IMO like 'Bottom' for example. In comparison, the US remake of the Inbetweeners didn't really work and I could only watch a few episodes as it doesn't hold a candle to the original. 

So I've watched Broadchurch, Whitechapel, & finally finished the 3 season/series of Luther over the last month. Any suggestions on something I might be able to catch on either hulu or netflix?
It doesn't have to be cop related.