DVDVR Message Board

Recommend TV Shows Not From The States. The Sequel

_MJ_

I started watching the BBC TV adaptation of And Then There Were None. 

More an exercise in seeing what they change, but it has your usual group of A/B level cast, including  Charles Dance, Sam Neill and Miranda Richardson. 

You know, you pay your TV licence and a lot of times the BBC trots out a load of old shit but sometimes they'll produce little gems of a show. I re-watched (again) Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing and it is one such little gem.

Mortimer is a man child and the most likeable person you will ever see on TV, Whitehouse is his grumpier friend, they go fishing, Mortimer falls over a lot, Whitehouse repeatedly shouts don't wind, Mortimer says he's not winding when he clearly is, they talk about mental health and men's health, they do impressions, they tell jokes, Mortimer falls over again, Whitehouse does Ted the dog's voice, Mortimer talks about his dad dying when he was young, Whitehouse scatters his own dad's ashes at his dad's favourite fishing spot, Fergal Sharkey shows up and they sing Teenage Kicks, they do some more fishing, Mortimer shows unparalleled joy at catching a fish and then falls over again, this is one long run-on sentence...and away.

It is funny, life affirming, looks great, has a great soundtrack and is the most perfect fucking TV you will ever watch even if you don't give a shit about fishing.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 1

Someone was uploading them to YT years ago but they kept getting taken down, so I only saw the first few episodes. I remember falling about the place at Mortimer's terrible Taxi Driver impression.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kim’s Convenience (from Canada) is fantastic. The whole series is up on Netflix in the US. It’s funny, heartwarming and just kinda generally goofy at times. Paul Sun-Hyung Lee is so, so good in his role as Appa.

My favorite is Corner Gas (also from Canada) for sure though. I love the humor and I live in a town kind of like where it’s set. I’m currently going through the animated version and nearly to the episode with Trish Stratus, Lance Storm and Bret Hart in it. Once I finish the animated version, I’ll go back and watch the original version.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sir Tony Robinson is set to reprise his role from Blackadder for the first time in more than 20 years for Comic Relief’s Red Nose Day appeal. The actor, 76, starred as Edmund Blackadder’s servant and sidekick Baldrick in the classic BBC sitcom from 1983 to 1989 and in a number of subsequent specials.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is Going to Hurt is one of the best TV shows of the last 5 or 10 years and is both a testament to the good people of the NHS and a horrible indictment of a broken system that has been allowed to prevail in a Tory led government and is a TV show which is both simultaneously hilarious and heart breaking.

I watched it recently for the first time and it is fucking GREAT. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...