DVDVR Message Board

Recommend TV Shows Not From The States. The Sequel

_MJ_

Stath Lets Flats is on HBO Max. It is a U.K. comedy about an inept but ambitious rental agent in London. It’s really funny. Not a mockumentary but there is obviously an Office influence. Well worth the watch. 

• 6 months later...

This thread has gone quiet, so bumping just to mention Ghosts as I keep seeing ads for the US remake. For Canadians, the first two seasons are streaming on the CBC app. It's a lot of fun, but the standout episode so far has been "The Thomas Thorne Affair" where the Romantic poet tells the heroic story of how he died in a duel. And then one of the other ghosts chimes in with "That's not how it happened" and of course it didn't even cross our minds that some of the other ghosts would've been present for it. All of them gradually add their two cents in to tell the story. Very funny episode.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been watching Toast of Tinseltown lately as someone has uploaded the series to YouTube. It's... not very good really. Toast of London was often quite middling with the odd hilarious wacky bit. This hasn't come anywhere near unfortunately.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone watched Lovejoy? I'm working my way through Columbo and want to follow it with something that scratches the same itch and I love Ian McShane. Is it worth tracking down?

13 hours ago, elizium said:

Has anyone watched Lovejoy? I'm working my way through Columbo and want to follow it with something that scratches the same itch and I love Ian McShane. Is it worth tracking down?

Yes it is.

I got into this series back in the 90s and it is brilliant to watch McShane chew the scenery .

• Like 1

Never watched it back in the day, just catching glimpses of here and there. Always struck me as a cosy Sunday evening type show which isn't necessarily a bad thing (That wouldn't have appealed to me as a teenager, but does now). I read one of the books a couple years ago and Lovejoy struck me as a more rogueish, misogynistic type character than I would've expected.

• Like 1

Turns out Acorn TV has a 30 day free trial with Prime, so I guess I'm going to see how many I can watch in a month. Or watch I, Claudius instead

Watched the first couple episodes and it is pretty fun so far. No real meat to the mysteries so far, but as advertised McShane is great. I didn't expect him to be such a weasel and start each episode off with a 4th wall break.

Sunday evening type show is a perfect description. I'm not looking for something I have to get super invested in

3 hours ago, Swift said:

Never watched it back in the day, just catching glimpses of here and there. Always struck me as a cosy Sunday evening type show which isn't necessarily a bad thing (That wouldn't have appealed to me as a teenager, but does now). I read one of the books a couple years ago and Lovejoy struck me as a more rogueish, misogynistic type character than I would've expected.

Kind of funny you use that term, because for years I have used the term "Sunday afternoon movie" to describe the kind of light, minimal investment movies that would always air on network TV on Sunday afternoons growing up. Usually light comedies, mid-range action movies, that kind of thing. Time fillers used by stations when there's no live sports on. Like you're bored at home, its too cold to go outside, and you're flipping through channels and one is randomly showing Black Moon Rising. You'd never think to watch it in a million years otherwise, but a perfect movie to kill a boring afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

The last ever episode of my wee hometown's pride and joy Derry Girls (unless they do a film? Lisa McGee if you're reading? Okay, you're not going to be reading a wrestling forum but a film, yeah? Please?) just finished and, good jaysus, talk about sticking the landing; an absolute note perfect ending in which, to use a Derry phrase, the tears and snotters will be tripping off ye. 

Massive credit to everyone involved including the cameos (holy fuck, the cameos) but especially to Lisa McGee, you absolute wee cert ye. 

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

The last ever episode of my wee hometown's pride and joy Derry Girls (unless they do a film? Lisa McGee if you're reading? Okay, you're not going to be reading a wrestling forum but a film, yeah? Please?) just finished and, good jaysus, talk about sticking the landing; an absolute note perfect ending in which, to use a Derry phrase, the tears and snotters will be tripping off ye. 

Massive credit to everyone involved including the cameos (holy fuck, the cameos) but especially to Lisa McGee, you absolute wee cert ye. 

I absolutely cannot wait for this to hit Netflix. Derry Girls is one of the best shows of its era. I have a friend who lives in Belfast and he has talked about how much the show has really meant to NI as a whole — about how people managed to build lives around a very complicated and volatile situation. But mostly it is just hilarious.

• Like 1

Finished Derry Girls S3E6 and that was a gut punch. It has me on edge for the finale. I can't say anything else besides that because otherwise... ya know... spoilers and all. Still, just oof

James

The Derry Girls finale was a rare gem in this day and age. A perfect ending to a perfect show. I'm not even remotely Irish (Anglo-Turkish on my mom's side, Russian Jewish on my Dad's) and it still struck a chord on so many levels.

I am going to miss all these characters (especially Sister Michael)

Bravo!

James

• Like 1

I'm going to miss Clare's pronunciation of Michelle's name (MEE-shell). There are times Clare is just super standout but it requires her to be in panic mode (her laying the blame on Michelle in S1E1 and SisterMichael's respnose still slays me).

James