DVDVR Message Board

Recommend TV Shows Not From The States. The Sequel

_MJ_

Since this topic went so well on the last incarnation of this board, lets get it going again.

Right now, I'm watching this BBC show called The Wrong Man.  It's a comedy thriller(wait, don't stop reading!), where this down-on-his-luck type of guy unwillingly gets involved in a kidnapping plot with his loser friend tagging along.  Hulu has the first 6 episodes.

I've seen The Returned (Les Revenants) popping up on a bunch of "Best of" tv show lists and the plot has me intrigued.  Anyone seen it?

Edited by _MJ_

Looking forward to the 2-part Great Train Robbery that just airedon BBC1 last week.

I also recommend the doc about Mary Poppins that Victoria Coren did a few weeks ago. That's on Youtube.

Does Sherlock have its own thread? It returns New Years Day on BBC1.

Is The Wrong Mans good enough to overcome a totally rational hatred of James Corden?

I really dug the final episodes of Poirot, but then I love that anyway. It's finished now but I loved Phoneshop when it was on. Ripper Street ended up being better than it had any right to be.

Just watched the Limmy's show christmas special on iplayer, enjoyed it but really the third series earlier in the year was a hard act to follow. It's made by BBC Scotland and I think it only shows here too, so it might be a bit...regional. My favourite sketch show in years though.

Is The Wrong Mans good enough to overcome a totally rational hatred of James Corden?

I've only seen the pilot and Corden is definitely suppose to be the irritating part of the duo.  I'm okay with the other guy(Mathew Baynton), who is the pessimistic lead.

Since this topic went so well on the last incarnation of this board, lets get it going again.

Right now, I'm watching this BBC show called The Wrong Man.  It's a comedy thriller(wait, don't stop reading!), where this down-on-his-luck type of guy unwillingly gets involved in a kidnapping plot with his loser friend tagging along.  Hulu has the first 6 episodes.

I've seen The Returned (Les Revenants) popping up on a bunch of "Best of" tv show lists and the plot has me intrigued.  Anyone seen it?

I believe that it only had 6 episodes. Twas quite short - what I saw was fun though.

For a comedy, Fresh Meat is quite good.

If none of you have seen it, Broadchurch was tremendous. To hell with the American remake, the original is a fantastic whodunit with top notch acting, writing and direction. The first episode was one of the most captivating pieces of tv making I've seen since Twin Peaks.

• Like 4

I love this thread because it got me to look up the Japanese game show my dad used to watch all the time, Shoten. He couldn't understand a word of it but he gleaned the basic idea behind it (sort of a Japanese "Match Game" with kimono-bedecked comedians winning pillows by telling the funniest punch line to the host's setup) and he never missed an episode if he was around, laughing hysterically at the chaos like he was a native. I had Filipino-Japanese friends in grade school and their mom lost her shit when he mentioned how much he loved watching it.

If none of you have seen it, Broadchurch was tremendous. To hell with the American remake, the original is a fantastic whodunit with top notch acting, writing and direction. The first episode was one of the most captivating pieces of tv making I've seen since Twin Peaks.

Confirmed.

David Tennant + Olivia Colman + Father Rory = Drama

Totally didn't see the twist.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-bbc-americas-broadchurch-a-simple-devastating-mystery

I did some research on Broadchurch and it appears to be getting "thumps up" from the tv critics(at the least the ones I follow).  The actress from The Peep Show is a lead in it, and I like her work.  I'll have to check it out.

Utopia, yay or nay?

Broad church aired on BBCA last spring at 10 on Wednesdays. I liked it and thought it was well done, but I don't quite understand why people rave about it.

I just finished the final season of Skins. Really liked Effie and Cook's two parters. Cassie's was boring, but I never really loved the Cassie character so I suppose that is to be expected.

Looking forward to the 2-part Great Train Robbery that just airedon BBC1 last week.

I also recommend the doc about Mary Poppins that Victoria Coren did a few weeks ago. That's on Youtube.

Does Sherlock have its own thread? It returns New Years Day on BBC1.

My girlfriend finally got me to give Sherlock a try and I gotta say it's tremendous. 

I'm not sure about Orphan Black.  I thought the plot got messier and messier as the season went on.  I could see it crashing and burning as they reveal more of the show's mythology. 

I think everyone agrees that Tatiana Maslany does a good job of differentiating each of the characters she plays and deserves praise.  Also Felix, her brother, might be favorite character in all of TV right now.  He has so many funny lines and scenes.  However, the guy who plays her military boyfriend is too bland; hired to look pretty and make occasional stern faces.

I'll stick around for season 2.  I may not like it as much as others, but it's nice to have a decent sci-fi show around.

What's the word on Black Mirror?  Grantland was pushing it as must see TV.  Is it worth tracking down?

Black Mirror is faaaantastic. Especially the episodes The National Anthem, 15 Million Merits and White Bear. The National Anthem is one of the most riveting, uncomfortable, strangely perversely humourous episodes of television I have ever seen. I seriously had to re-evaluate my place in the world after watching it and it's the only one I haven't watched twice.

The Waldo Moment is pretty shitty, but if you're a Game of Thrones fan it is neat to see Edmure Tully do something else. Don't feel bad if you miss that one.

The series basically takes our increasing dependence on personal technology to it's extreme, and honestly pretty likely, conclusion.

• Like 1

Black Mirror is a big yes, but it's a bit derivative. You know how Marilyn Manson said how his former guitarist grew up listening to the Smiths and was never into Metal, so he kept inventing old-hat, done to death rock riffs but constantly mistook his cliches for originality? I get a bit of that feeling watching some Black Mirror episodes.

Utopia starts out great, but it's... it's good, but as it goes on it becomes somehow uninvolving. You're watching things happen, but you aren't feeling them happen. It might be the way it's shot, all at a distance.

While on the subject of Black Mirror, I'd also recommend one of Charlie Brooker's other series, How TV Ruined Your Life. Done documentary style, the subject matter is pretty self-explanatory. I dunno, I'm a pretty cynical guy, so his stuff falls right into my wheelhouse.

It's also a dead-on parody of a History Channel style series. I keep expecting Tony Robinson to show up.

Plus, all 6 episodes of How TV Ruined Your Life can be watched on the Youtubes.

http://youtu.be/SQBwNyJDHsw

• Like 1