DVDVR Message Board

Best performance by a bad actor?

Reed

Really? Terrence Howard is a bad actor? Holy shit, I've been deceived all this time. 

People are confusing being a bad actor with being in a lot of shitty movies.

He's in plenty of bad movies, but he's also just not good. His one trick is to do every scene like you're just about ready to start crying. Every scene, every movie. He's a slight step above Lenny James, but I think that's mainly because he doesn't have to also concentrate on doing an American accent. 

Really? Terrence Howard is a bad actor? Holy shit, I've been deceived all this time. 

He's in plenty of bad movies, but he's also just not good. His one trick is to do every scene like you're just about ready to start crying. Every scene, every movie. He's a slight step above Lenny James, but I think that's mainly because he doesn't have to also concentrate on doing an American accent. 

He is a perfectly acceptable actor when he is typecast as the sly, middle aged black dude (i.e. every "urban" comedy like Best Man Holiday or something like The Butler). It's when he tries to become a character actor that he has his trouble, but that doesn't really make him a bad actor.

He is a perfectly acceptable actor when he is typecast as the sly, middle aged black dude (i.e. every "urban" comedy like Best Man Holiday or something like The Butler). It's when he tries to become a character actor that he has his trouble, but that doesn't really make him a bad actor.

At this point I think a more accurate title for this thread would be "Best out-of-character performance from an actor with limited range"

I'll catch some flack for it, but I first Channing Tatum had decent acting chops in The Vow. He was completely believable playing a guy in a seemingly hopeless situation trying to win his wife back. Maybe it's because of where I'm at in my life, but folks should watch that movie. It's pretty good. When I later watched 21 Jump Street, it turned me into a fan of the guy because he does seem to get it and you can tell he's trying really hard to become an accomplished actor.

As for Nic Cage, he was great in Lord of War.

Also, does Tyrese belong in here? He seems to have found his niche in the more recent F&F movies, but he was pretty good in Baby Boy. And before that, wasn't he just another face on MTV?

I would also ask if Quentin Tarantino belongs in here only because his roles are so small. He's such a shitty actor in each role though, and he plays each part like he's a genius.

Oh, and Lindsay Lohan: Mean Girls.

I'll catch some flack for it, but I first Channing Tatum had decent acting chops in The Vow. He was completely believable playing a guy in a seemingly hopeless situation trying to win his wife back. Maybe it's because of where I'm at in my life, but folks should watch that movie. It's pretty good. When I later watched 21 Jump Street, it turned me into a fan of the guy because he does seem to get it and you can tell he's trying really hard to become an accomplished actor.

Tatum is another one I don't understand, but I haven't really watched ALL his of work. However, I've never seen him do anything downright egregious. There is no amount of good acting that can save stuff like White House Down (I admit Foxx was not good AT ALL) and Fighting.

Jamie Foxx is weird. He has shown that he's a good actor in more that a few movies, but then he's also in a bunch of bullshit that he is just going through the motions on. Collateral is another movie where Foxx does a very good job in.

Seriously!  

This thread went off the rails when Nicolas Cage came up.  I'm not sure there are many actors whose name would come up in a 'Good Actors' thread who have a performance that could touch Cage performances in 'The Weather Man', 'Bringing Out the Dead' and 'Raising Arizona' and those aren't even in Nicolas Cage's Top 3 performances ever.

I think John Travolta is a guy in that camp too. He's a talented guy. Once or twice a decade he'll be in some amazing movie. Then the rest of the time he makes some bad career choices and is in crap like Phenomenon and Battlefield: Earth, and burns most of his credibility again.

• Like 1

As for Nic Cage, he was great in Lord of War.

Also, does Tyrese belong in here? He seems to have found his niche in the more recent F&F movies, but he was pretty good in Baby Boy. And before that, wasn't he just another face on MTV?

I would also ask if Quentin Tarantino belongs in here only because his roles are so small. He's such a shitty actor in each role though, and he plays each part like he's a genius.

Oh, and Lindsay Lohan: Mean Girls.

I thought Tyrese was the best part of FOUR BROTHERS. Not that that's all that difficult, but...

I remember not liking him in Collateral but that might be because Cruise eviscerated him in the acting stakes.

He's really low key in Collateral, and lets Cruise do the soaring stuff, but Foxx gives the better performance with the much harder role.

He was also really good in Django.

He's pretty good in Ray, but if he was going to win one of those two Oscars, it should have been Collateral.  In fact, he should have been nominated as a leading actor for Collateral (he's clearly the lead) and not nominated for Ray.  But there's nothing wrong with his performance.

And he's really fucking terrible in a lot of other stuff.