DVDVR Message Board

THE FUTURE OF MARCH MADNESS

jaedmc

MARCH MADNESS CHANGES  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which countries should be involved?

• USA ONLY
    • USA/JAPAN ONLY
    • THE WHOLE GLOBE (LUCHA/PURO/AMERICAN/SENEGALESE)

I think every effort should be made to encourage people to go beyond WWE/TNA/ROH and experience the great big world of professional wrestling. Watch lucha, watch puro, watch old World of Sport tapes with Johnny Saint, watch 70's-era Giant Rousimoff in Japan, watch joshi. It's a big wide world out there, and there is so much better shit out there than the latest Miz-Kofi match.

I think the more we talk up the positives the more people will catch on, which is why I lean towards including everything. It's gonna be rough the first year, but maybe it builds next year because a handful caught on. And they told two friends. And they told two friends.

Or maybe some of the puro fans call all the WWE-only types uneducated idiots and some of the US-only crowd starts bitching about puro snobs and your casual fan just fucks off entirely out of spite.

I'm going to be outvoted/shouted down but keep it US only. I'm really pressed for time. I haven't watched any Japanese match in like 15 years. I haven't watched more than a handful of lucha matches, either. I don't know the styles or what to look for in matches. It won't be a fair vote. I'd probably get to know who some of these dudes are at least but I only have so much time and the chances of me following up on some lucha stuff or NJPW is pretty much zero percent. It's nothing against people who like those styles, but I'm just squashed for time but I still want to vote. Hell, I haven't even seen more than 10 minutes total of TNA in its existence and probably even less ROH.

I think every effort should be made to encourage people to go beyond WWE/TNA/ROH and experience the great big world of professional wrestling. Watch lucha, watch puro, watch old World of Sport tapes with Johnny Saint, watch 70's-era Giant Rousimoff in Japan, watch joshi. It's a big wide world out there, and there is so much better shit out there than the latest Miz-Kofi match.

I think the more we talk up the positives the more people will catch on, which is why I lean towards including everything. It's gonna be rough the first year, but maybe it builds next year because a handful caught on. And they told two friends. And they told two friends.

Or maybe some of the puro fans call all the WWE-only types uneducated idiots and some of the US-only crowd starts bitching about puro snobs and your casual fan just fucks off entirely out of spite.

If casual fans have been coming here to vote in March Madness and the consistent bitching and bickering hasn't turned them off yet, it ain't ever gonna turn 'em off, baby.

I spent more time watching wrestling than pretty much any other hobby/responsibility from 2000-2008.  I was well versed in TNA, the indies and puro, and at least aware of lucha.  Since then I've watched essentially no wrestling outside of WWE, except for the Madness tournament.  I try to watch the matches featured in each round and take great pleasure in the arguments that are presented by each side.

With that said, I voted for USA/Japan, because the chances of me voting for a lucha guy is essentially 0%.  I've just never dug the style.  But by all means, open this up to the rest of the world.  I look forward to learning about all your favorite international wrestlers while I vote for Daniel Bryan.

Do a World Cup-style draw to pick part of the field of 64. Pick 32 wrestlers guaranteed to be in the main bracket. Then, pick the other 32 spots based on a preliminary group stage.

Ten group stage brackets will have two WWE/NXT guys, one TNA guy, one indie guy, one Japan guy, one luchador, one woman, and one or more miscellaneous choices to handle wrestlers who don't fit any of those categories or overflow of candidates from those categories. Top three advance, with the last two slots being commissioner's picks among non-winners (a reward for running the show).

Let the people decide. Now, we just need someone to design a March Madness app.

For the sake of people's sanity and enjoyment, I would make a vow not to say one negative thing about any wrestler in any march madness post (no negative campaigning, only positive comments about the wrestler I thought had the better year) if the misanthrope with the Paul Heyman avatar would do the same. 

For the sake of people's sanity and enjoyment, I would make a vow not to say one negative thing about any wrestler in any march madness post (no negative campaigning, only positive comments about the wrestler I thought had the better year) if the misanthrope with the Paul Heyman avatar would do the same. 

It's a fake tournament. I can't believe people here would find anything wrong with the flaming since this tournament was built on flame baiting.

Now if we mailed a real trophy, and a $30 Cracker Barrel gift card to the wrestler that won it, then maybe we can take this seriously.

I voted for worldwide 64. Pick the best 64 you think from around the world, as opposed to 16 from Japan, 16 from Mexico, 16 from WWE and 16 from the Indies/TNA. If your best 64 ends up with 40 guys under WWE contract, so be it.

Remember, you are the one running this, your game, your rules.

It's a fake tournament. I can't believe people here would find anything wrong with the flaming since this tournament was built on flame baiting.

Now if we mailed a real trophy, and a $30 Cracker Barrel gift card to the wrestler that won it, then maybe we can take this seriously.

Now I think we should do that anyway.

I voted for worldwide 64. Pick the best 64 you think from around the world, as opposed to 16 from Japan, 16 from Mexico, 16 from WWE and 16 from the Indies/TNA. If your best 64 ends up with 40 guys under WWE contract, so be it.

Remember, you are the one running this, your game, your rules.

See, that's it though, it's a game. We all play along and argue for our favorites. Sure, some take it more seriously than others, and maybe we're all lunatics, but this is fun for us.

It seems like instead of something for folks to have fun with, this is trying to bring culture to the ignorant masses. We don't even bother to pretend that March Madness represents anything other than the baying of the mob. Why do we have to go all PBS on it and make it some vehicle for you to change your wrestling watching, you slovenly heathen?

If it's such a big deal to have THE WORLD involved, then someone should make a March Madness tourney in the Puro folder.

It'll be just as prestigious an honor as the team that wins the NIT each year.

You always hear college basketball fans chanting NIT! NIT! NIT! at their opponents, after a hard fought contest. It's obviously a sign of respect and admiration.