DVDVR Message Board

THE FUTURE OF MARCH MADNESS

jaedmc

MARCH MADNESS CHANGES  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which countries should be involved?

• USA ONLY
    • USA/JAPAN ONLY
    • THE WHOLE GLOBE (LUCHA/PURO/AMERICAN/SENEGALESE)

March is a ways away, but I gotta get ready to list 64 rasslers for the tourney. I think this year I promised to put Bryan and Punk in the same section so we could get that out of the way. But I was also thinking about shaking up things a little bit. 

In the past March Madness has been 64 of American/Canadian Wrestlers(sometimes a Japanese DGUSA guy would make it on). I would try to mix in a couple of small indy guys in hopes that more guys would get looked at and we could expand our horizons a little bit. Those threads were usually met with apathy or "WHO DIS?" Really the people who get the most looks are the ones that wrestle for WWE or TNA, which is kinda disappointing. Which is why in the past I haven't been including Puro or Lucha guys, because their viewership is much lower than the WWE here on this board. Especially with Lucha.

So now with the new board I'm posing the question once again to the voters, how would they like the tournament to be run this year. Most importantly, do we want to move to a field of 64 of GLOBAL competitors or do we want to keep it American only?

The benefits of going Global is that it gets us closer to crowning a true BEST IN THE WORLD. The downside is that it means we won't be looking at smaller fry guys in the USA(well maybe a couple to keep street cred), which nobody was doing anyway, so it won't really matter. If we do, do we create a bracket of Japanese, a bracket of US, a bracket of Lucha, and a Bracket of miscelaneous, and have them meet in the middle? Or do I keep it all mixed up?

I need to know these things because if we decide to expand who gets in, then I have to do some research over the next couple of months to figure out who gets in.

So answer the poll question, AND make other suggestions if you want.

Not to sound like someone who isn't watching enough wrestling from wherever, but I can think of tons of guys just from the WWE I'd be very bummed didn't get in the poll this year, and I think limiting the US to only 16 this year would be next to impossible, so no way for Global.

The thing is, a US guy is gonna win. Don't include Japan, the Puro fans will bitch because they aren't in. Include them, they will be even more pissed when there favorites lose to guys thy are better then, but just due to how many more people see so and so WWE midcarder.

Not to sound like someone who isn't watching enough wrestling from wherever, but I can think of tons of guys just from the WWE I'd be very bummed didn't get in the poll this year, and I think limiting the US to only 16 this year would be next to impossible, so no way for Global.

The thing is, a US guy is gonna win. Don't include Japan, the Puro fans will bitch because they aren't in. Include them, they will be even more pissed when there favorites lose to guys thy are better then, but just due to how many more people see so and so WWE midcarder.

I think I probably wouldn't be able to limit WWE to just 16, that was just a suggestion.

I just think we don't have the breadth of international watching right now. I mean you could grab a couple of the NJPW guys since they're widely watched but if you put Rush on he's going to lose to Darren Young and then Dylan or someone will go nuts and rightly so. The flip side is that it's a great way to get exposed to wrestlers you wouldn't normally see. 

I do think the general strength of WWE this year means we should probably be conservative on that regard though.

I voted USA/Japan with a caveat.

The last time we fought about this, my understanding is that it was an access thing more than anything. Now that New Japan airs a lot of iPPVs, I think it makes sense for them to be included, but not for the rest of Japan.

Continue not including Mexico, because that's just going to end up with Negro Casas losing to, like, Fandango or whatever because Negro Casas is the best worker of the decade so far but Fandango has pretty ladies and the light up shillouette so...

Look at it this way. If I include a solid, under-watched indy guy, and he gets trounced by Jack Swagger - no one cares, even the guy who probably likes the under-watched indy guy. BUT if I replace the under-watched indy guy with Rush...or Yuji Nagata, or Negro Casas, or KENTA, then the conversation might get a little more interesting.

I think that if I expand it to Japan or Japan/Mexico, I'm going to pepper them in, nothing overwhelming like 32 puro and lucha guys. More like 12. 

My stupid hopes for March Madness is that it makes fans branch out. People complain sooooo much about the WWE, and yet it is the most watched program on this board. So why not include other shit that you could be watching instead?  

Look at it this way. If I include a solid, under-watched indy guy, and he gets trounced by Jack Swagger - no one cares, even the guy who probably likes the under-watched indy guy. BUT if I replace the under-watched indy guy with Rush...or Yuji Nagata, or Negro Casas, or KENTA, then the conversation might get a little more interesting.

I think that if I expand it to Japan or Japan/Mexico, I'm going to pepper them in, nothing overwhelming like 32 puro and lucha guys. More like 12. 

My stupid hopes for March Madness is that it makes fans branch out. People complain sooooo much about the WWE, and yet it is the most watched program on this board. So why not include other shit that you could be watching instead?  

I complain about the booking. I do not complain about the in-ring work.

Are we actually going to include women's wrestlers? I think they would be wasting spaces in the tournament.

Paige and Emma (and maybe Bayley and Summer Rae) have done more then enough to get put into this tournament over random indy guy imo.

I complain about the booking. I do not complain about the in-ring work.

Are we actually going to include women's wrestlers? I think they would be wasting spaces in the tournament.

Paige and Emma (and maybe Bayley and Summer Rae) have done more then enough to get put into this tournament over random indy guy imo.

Emma or Paige could beat a lot of guys in this thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them get to the third round based on their draw. 

Everyone who is not Daniel Bryan or Dustin Runnels is wasting space in the tournament.

Except Dean Ambrose.

ACCEPT DEAN AMBROSE!

Honestly, I'm not nearly convinced Bryan is winning it this year. I mean, I think he's the favorite, but if you are going match by match, nobody has been as good in the average match as Rollins.

I'd still say Bryan is the favorite, but there are challengers this year. Last year, Bryan won by "lack of anybody having a great year (Outside of Aries, which you guys bollocks upped)"  This year, tons of people are having a great year. Bryan has been right at the top of the heap, but it's not a lock.

I've included Sara Del Rey once. If we expand the scope then that means I've gotta look at the Joshi wrestlers too. And some of them are legit better than a lot of the US guys. 

People vote on their own criteria though. It took a year or two to tie things down to the 12 month period which is why Foley got so high one year. I could see that someone might enjoy Emma's antics in interview with Renee Young more than epic matches from some Joshi wrestler, even if they watched the footage.

No way TNA deserves its own bracket, stick them in with the indy guys if there are any. For puro outside of NJPW probably just nominate one or two wrestlers from each promotion. Outside of KENTA, Marufuji and Morishima there isn't much on the NOAH roster people will know. Does anyone in the puro thread even watch AJPW? Lucha will be difficult too due to even a smaller size of this board, might do one side of the bracket is WWE and the other is indies/global. Just pit the WWE guys against each other so no hurt feelings arise. Maybe they don't have a solid 32 in the field but WWE will have close to that.

Aires beating Cena last year was such a joke.

Bullshit. Aries made people buy a TNA PPV. He was, most likely, the last act that made people think TNA had a chance to step up from the dregs they were in. He had a great year, and his rise was more entertaining that year then any Cena match. And, as Matt just mentioned, it's not just in-ring, character also is included. Or Sheamus would have been in the final 4 last year over Bryan to begin with.

• Like 2