DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: SUPER PORKY

RIPPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHmsegTI9o0

God damn it. I don't have time to watch this lucha. I have OTHER lucha I need to watch. It's recent and topical though.  The coolest thing about watching Porky is that he's more liquid than solid. It's like watching someone trying to fight the ocean. 

I love Rey here trying to use body punches. He's more likely to lose his hand that way than actually do any damage. The MMA stylings probably are a huge boon to Porky since they don't involve a ton of actual motion. Is there a wrestler in the history of ever that you would less want to pin you into the corner so he can have his way with you with headbutts? The suddenness of the submissions are fairly cool here. Ok, I change my mind. Even worse than the being in the corner is eating a dive from Porky. 

I think this is a relatively slight match but I kind of love the minimalist psychology. Rey is able to outquick him and lock in a rear naked choke, which is a move where Porky's natural advantage is unable to do much against. In the second fall, Porky's ready for him and girths him into the corner taking him out so he can lock on the cross arm breaker. He stays dominant at the start of the third fall going for the armbreaker again. Rey gets the rope, ends up outside and gets dived on but of course that takes so much out of Porky that Rey can recover and go for the choke again. Porky uses superior skill to block it but gets just pummeled as a cost. Rey starts to punch himself out a bit though, letting Porky get close enough to hit a belly to belly. He gets the mount and starts pummeling back, but can't keep it up. Rey ends up on top of the beached whale and punches endlessly. Porky won't give up. The second has had enough comes in to save him but costs him the match and the hair. Post match is the shaving and a ceremony for the recently deceased El Brazo that's fairly touching.

It's a match that accomplished what it set out to do effectively enough which given Porky's current state is pretty impressive. That's all I've got time for here.

Mistico, Super Porky, Valiente vs Averno, Mephisto, Rey Escorpión

CMLL on Fox Sports (Mexico): 2013-10-05

taped 2013-09-27 @ Arena Mexico

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0t3QJ_6kc8

Damn it, Phil. What part of "I have other lucha to watch." was not clear? I haven't been able to see a match off the set in a week+. I have no clue who any of these guys are. Mistico is Mistico II who was Dragon Lee? I get that. I know I should know who Averno is, but uh, sorry. I love that they introduce him as both Super Porky and Brazo de Plata. Valiente has cool music and a good look. Mistico kind of looks like he could drive a car against the Mach 5. On of the things I love about lucha is that they just go out and say "this is a tecnico. It is on our graphic. We could absolutely do the Survivor Series 90 final battle for survival." They wear it on their sleeve. Aw man, I want to see Mephisto vs Goldust now. Winner gets to keep the Darth Maul look. Oh cool, they tell us who the captains are. That would have been useful in 1984.

Another great thing about Porky is there's just so much body mass to hit. You can just throw a random limp out and probably make it look like you're doing some damage. Hey! Mephisto's a dick. We're a minute into the match and he's going for Mistico's mask. I did like the way he used it to pull Mistico down into the tree of woe though. Argh that synchronized pepsi plunge/power bomb finish for the first fall was both pretty in the set up and nasty in the execution. I like how Rey and Porky just got to do their thing on the outside to set up the eventual match while it was going on too. Rey's a huge dick too, just punching away until he gets winded allowing Porky to try to beg off, then taking a deep breath and starting to punch again. Someone translate Averno's shirt for me. 

I both really dig and am frustrated by the chaotic nature of the camera work. I guess I'm used to one camera long shots from the 80s set, so it's cool to, out of nowhere, see Mistico getting posted crotch first on the outside, but it also creates a disjointed feeling. Maybe it's because i saw the blowoff match first but as Rey pummels Porky in the middle of the ring, I just want the poor bastard to fight back. It's almost visually unsettling for him to take such a beating, but really all he has to do is survive and barely roll out of the ring after the slam as his partners come flying in to get revenge. The trio of tandem two counts are fun and the  dives are just nuts. This stuff's effectiveness is one half execution and skill and one half pacing, as it is so very welcome after the mauling that Porky took and it leads into Porky's heroic return to the center of the ring vs Rey. The fans go nuts as he waddles into the mount and the DQ finish satisfies since I, for one, would rather see Porky beat the shit out of Escorpion than the tecnicos get the win. Really, the entire comeback segment was really satisfying.

Máximo, Stuka Jr., Super Porky vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Rey Escorpión

CMLL on Terra: 2013-10-04
taped 2013-10-04 @ Arena Mexico

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcGVSlXFIb8

Oops, was i supposed to watch this one first? It was taped after the other one which is what confused me. It seems like it might have aired first. Awesome, Stuka Jr comes out to Jump which is carny as hell and has a mask which is equal parts goofy and awesome. And hey! Ok this Maximo guy was Porky's second in the hair match. They really want me to figure out which tecnico is which in this one.

What the hell, Rey attacks Porky while he's just starting the dance and chokes him with a towel. Way to not give the fans their money's worth! What a heel. Crap, I have no idea which of the other rudos is which. Great 3 on 1 mauling on Porky inside the ring and the shots Rey was doing outside are probably some of the best I've seen in this series. Random Rudo is messing with Stuka's mask just like in the other match so maybe it's a thing. Rey's endless knees are solid too and I honestly don't know if he's trying to gnaw on him or if Porky's head is just so big that it keeps ending up in Rey's mouth despite his best efforts. They bring Porky in and just paintbrush him, pushing the ref away until they get disqualified. I like how it takes all of random rudo's body weight just to hold his legs down. 

I actually think that Rey looks the best in this match from what I've seen. He's just laying it in more when in the other matches he seemed to be getting blown up hitting Porky in ways that didn't look nearly as good as they do here. His stomps are nasty. The slaps are dickish. His punches are the best in this match. I like how this time the other tecnicos have to really work for the comeback. Stuka Jr's direction change dive was pretty cool and it led to the not quite as cool Maixmo one which came from Rey cutting Maximo off. And BOOM, there's Porky in the ring and yeah, okay, this is the most badass comeback too. He's just a beast with those punches and fully in control with the belly to belly. The splash gives him a decisive fall too.  Ha! and then his partners help him up off of Rey. They drive out the other rudos and they get to have some further justice be done.

I think this was my favorite match out the three for the Porky/Escorpion stuff at least. I like how the MMA element of the final match was so wildly different from these too.

Porky is one of those guys who you can get a room full of people to watch, even though none of us can understand a damn word the announcers are saying. Entertaining, and when shit hits the fan, he's a good brawler too.

Whomever came up with the wrestler of the day idea, top notch. Fun way to generate some discussion around here that doesn't involve who is sleeping with who (at least until EL DANDY gets to be WOTD).

Oh and Porky is one of my all time favorite wrestlers that I always forget about.

If someone asks me to say do a Top 10 I never think of him but if I am randomly going through Youtube and I come across a Porky match - I get really really excited

BdP is one of the best damn wrestlers I have ever seen live in the sense he was able to get the maximum reaction from the crowd with the least amount of effort (although he impressed everyone with his moves, selling and energy). People talk about "Memphis style" but BdPlato had so many fun sequences that got the audience involved that any aspiring worker could have swiped half of them and had enough to use for years (and I did). I praise his savage mestizo gods for being one of rassling's finest fat men who can GO (Murdoch, Vader, Dusty, Blackwell, et al...).

- ladies do love thee Super Porky,

RAF

Speaking of Tiger Mask and Porky

Young, slim Brazo de Plata is a mindfuck if you aren't expecting it

Love that running clothesline he did near the start. He looked really fun when he wasn't bogged down with doing Sayama's match... makes you wonder how he might be today if he hadn't blown up 200 pounds with smaller wrestlers getting stuck in his rotational pull.