DVDVR Message Board

Was there a thread on the GLOW documentary?

JMFabiano

The girls were all very good but the sensationalizing of GLOW's success, no McLane and the lack of explaining the POWW exodus really hurt it.

GLOW was not that successful. I'm sure they made some money on syndication deals but their touring shows died. They also couldn't have done that well on TV, or else they would have stayed on. Their magazine only had a few issues and they only had a few VHS releases, so I have no idea where the money would have come from, especially since I believe the Rivera shows were free.

As I said, you can't do a GLOW documentary without McLane. I've tried to get in touch with him myself to no avail. Honestly, if I could interview anyone, I'd probably pick him. I get the sense that he's a really private person and he's really shy/embarrassed/mad about GLOW, which is probably because...

Not mentioning POWW's formation was a big miss. McLane formed his own promotion(seemingly due to creative differences) taking almost everyone of note from the original first two seasons. It would be the equivalent of dropping everyone on RAW and then going with people who haven't even debuted on NXT yet. The POWW group grabbed all of the good wrestlers, characters and personalities, leaving little left on the GLOW roster.  They mentioned on the doc that McLane wanted to focus on the wrestling. Well, the problem was while few of the GLOW girls like Ninotchka were good, as a whole they were all completely awful. You can't have a wrestling oriented organization with awful workers.

Ninotchka, Fiji and Big Bad Mama were the highlights of the movie. Ninotchka was always the best all around GLOW girl so it's not surprising. She's still pretty fine. I never saw much of Mama and Fiji was really good at her female face Andre role.

Little Egypt was the one who made the movie possible. She contacted as many GLOW girls as she could through facebook and set up a reunion, which led to the movie.

I really wish they could have found Little Fiji and Spanish Red somewhere. They were my favorites. Next to Ninotchka, Red was probably the second best overall. After that, probably Mt. Fiji, Matilda, Susie Spirit, Attache and then it all goes downhill.

I got the DVD from Amazon after watching it on LOGO - Corgan's commentary is amusing in part because he takes it so seriously. You'd think GLOW led to women being able to vote or something. It was goofy camp wrestling taken less seriously on its own show than it was treated on Married...With Children, which is saying something. I've rented a few full ep DVDs from Netflix, and it really feels like what a WWE wrestling show would be with just the divas - only a bit worse ring-wise and maybe better personality-wise. The commentary is absolutely horrible - some of the worst ever, since everything is heel Cole-esque in the sense that you can't take anything going on seriously.