DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

While the best way to grind levels post-game is Hard Mode, Hard Mode cuts off using items for anything, so using Materia is the only option, but there's no way to replenish it (since Benches only restore HP in Hard Mode and the boxes aren't plentiful enough and even then there's only a chance if them having a shard), I need to grind for the MP Absorption  Meteria, so that's in Normal (since Guard Scorpion kicked my ass in Hard Mode).

So, I did notice some enemy balance issues in certain areas, namely, enemies in certain areas abused the maps which screwed you up since it was areas you didn't have Barrett or Aerith for distance attacks (like climbing the pillar).

With this game having a hard level cap of 50 and being able to Max out all the Materia you get (like multiple copies of all the magic stuff, plus the linked stuff and ability stuff), I don't know how the hell they're balancing Part 2 out since they can't just reset to zero and it you took the time to grind everything to max, you're gonna smoke the baseline (I'm assuming the baseline is gonna be about the minimum you need to finish the game, so around Level 35ish)   if the save carries over.  And I can't see them not carrying save data over.

22 hours ago, Raziel said:

With this game having a hard level cap of 50 and being able to Max out all the Materia you get (like multiple copies of all the magic stuff, plus the linked stuff and ability stuff), I don't know how the hell they're balancing Part 2 out since they can't just reset to zero and it you took the time to grind everything to max, you're gonna smoke the baseline (I'm assuming the baseline is gonna be about the minimum you need to finish the game, so around Level 35ish)   if the save carries over.  And I can't see them not carrying save data over.

Both of the .hack game series did this, and yeah, you just start with the baseline "What's the level of the last boss of the previous game and start there" and just have folks realize that if you massively overpowered yourself at the previous game, you'll be overleveled but potentially undergeared for the beginning of the next one. I have no problems with this. 

Someone help me out here...What is the general feeling about FF15? I don't remember much about it from when it came out and rather than rely on YouTube videos I'd rather hear from you all that might have played it. I ask because my wife's friend suggested that my daughter (turning 10 on Monday) would like it.

So is FF15 good and is it too complex for someone who is 10? My daughter is currently into Animal Crossing, but she's playing through Breath of the Wild again at the moment even though she needs help with some parts of it. She'll basically play most stuff except for sports games and is more into games that have feminine heroes in it.

So, FF15...

It has 2 really glaring issues, and 1 is that combat is boring.  You can directly control 1 person at a time out of the 4, you can do some commands, but for the most part you're just going to be doing stuff with Noc and occasionally dual techs with the others.  But they used a weird combination of enemy scaling and massive HP increases to extend it, and most combat devolves into "hold O and occasionally move directions" pretty quick.  Then you get into the Day/Night cycle and camping, which starts getting complicated (as some fiends only come out at night, and most are way overpowered early).  

The other issue is the story feels like the game isn't finished (even with the DLC).  For the Party characters, it moves decent, but the side characters don't get enough time to make an impact when it feels like they're supposed to, and they did a piss poor job with Luna.  There wasn't near enough time given to her for the impact you were supposed to get from her.  And then there's the Chapter 13 fiasco, where the game introduces a whole bunch of stuff without ever really explaining it and has a total tonal shift.  

I mean, for someone not really getting into the story 15 is fine for the driving around/side stuff, but the deeper combat won't pass a 10 year old, and there's a massive lack of female characters in it, especially for a Final Fantasy game.  

I'd steer you more toward either 12 (OG or Zodiac Age) or 13, since they're better stories, 12ZA has better combat, 13's combat can be autopiloted, 12 is wide open, 13 is linear as an arrow, and both have strong female leads (Ashe and Fraan for 12, Lightning and Fang for 13).  

• Like 1

I mean... Make her play VI?

There's a window with kids where you can sneak in the earlier games. If you miss that window, it becomes a lot harder to ever do it. My now 18 year old played Chrono Trigger before he played a lot of other current gen stuff (maybe when he was 12) and because of that he can go back and play a SNES game like Link to the Past or Super Metroid or FFVI where he might not have been able to otherwise. It's the same with old anime (he's watching Yamato now on his own and no way would he be if I hadn't had him watch Robotech years ago) or black and white movies. 

It's not like going from Animal Crossing to FFVI is going to be a big graphical leap down or anything.

• Like 2

I tried getting her into SNES games with my Super Nintendo Classic and aside from Legend of Zelda and Secret of Mana, she's not all that into old looking games.

The other ones my wife and I thought about getting my daughter were Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or even just getting FF7 because even if my daughter doesn't like FF7, I'll probably still play it at some point. Then again, I'll also wind up playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

• Like 1

Also, the other suggestions were good too regarding 12 or 13.

On the other hand, I may not get her any of these because she has more than enough games anyway and is always bouncing from Animal Crossing to Minecraft to The Sims to Breath of the Wild.

And while she isn't into the old look of SNES games, Celeste is one of her favorite games. It's one of my favorite games too, but I never expected my daughter to like it.

I would second the recommendation for 12, especially the Zodiac Age update.  IMO it's the best of the modern era (post PS1) FF games, with the only real knock against it being that the "main" character really ending up being mostly a sidekick.

3 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

I would second the recommendation for 12, especially the Zodiac Age update.  IMO it's the best of the modern era (post PS1) FF games, with the only real knock against it being that the "main" character really ending up being mostly a sidekick.

You mean the Main Character wasn't Ashe?

23 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I mean... Make her play VI?

There's a window with kids where you can sneak in the earlier games. If you miss that window, it becomes a lot harder to ever do it. My now 18 year old played Chrono Trigger before he played a lot of other current gen stuff (maybe when he was 12) and because of that he can go back and play a SNES game like Link to the Past or Super Metroid or FFVI where he might not have been able to otherwise. It's the same with old anime (he's watching Yamato now on his own and no way would he be if I hadn't had him watch Robotech years ago) or black and white movies. 

It's not like going from Animal Crossing to FFVI is going to be a big graphical leap down or anything.

Yeah, while my kids are currently playing Lego Marvel, on PS3, I have a SNES and RetroPie set up and they play the shit out of SMB3 and the Sonic Games, so it's just a matter of taste and what you walk them into first.  

As for the 10 year old playing FF7R, the story gets a little heavy at points, but at the worst you can switch it into Classic or Easy mode and not worry about the difficulty (classic is damn near auto-pilot)

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

You mean the Main Character wasn't Ashe?

That's why I put the quotes.  ?

(Since of course the intended main character was supposed to be Vaan according to all the media leading up to the original version...)

I worked at a Borders in the summer of 1999 when I had just graduated from high school and I got a Vagrant Story strategy guide with my discount and one of my co-workers gave me lots of grief about it and how the main character was probably a hobo. I hated weapons breaking. I always hate weapons breaking. That's all I can remember.

For XII, at the time I hated the random chest issue (especially in end-game/bonus dungeon places; ridiculous and infuriating), the fact that all of the side quests were just monster hunts instead of something with more plot/world/character development, the money system, and the fact the license board was so easy to max that you could build all the characters into anything quickly. I'm pretty sure the re-release fixed that last bit by offering a bunch of different boards. 

While I'm making gripes I've made on the board previously... the biggest issues with X are the fact you can't skip cutscenes, the fact that stuff that isn't a cut scene moves so slow because you're waiting for the characters to move in between dialogue (Basically how cinematic it all is at the expense of control/gameplay/time), that so many things are locked behind mini-games, and Tidus being annoying. 

I've only played the main XIII (I keep starting Lightning returns and failing to get far), but my gripes there would again be the lack of true side quests and I guess not really being able to talk to people. That you're on rails for so long isn't the end of the world. 

IV, V, VI, IX are better than all of them.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

Well this all gives me a lot to go off of, but I think my decision is even harder now. I'm almost just leaning towards not overspoiling her for her birthday and just sticking with everything else we got her. Maybe as a reward for doing something big or working hard on something I'll give her the choice of getting FF12 or FF7 or even Xenoblade Chronicles. The shitty thing with the latter is that I rarely see it sell for less than $60. It's been out for 2 years or more now and it's still full price, but that's more of an issue for all Switch games.

Octopath Traveler is another option I suppose, but I'd really like to get her into Final Fantasy games. Maybe 12 really is the best route especially since it isn't that expensive so if she doesn't dig it then it's not a big loss and I'll still play it anyway.

Or 7. A lot of you seem to really be digging 7 a lot, I'm starting to get the itch the more I see from you all and from online ads, and I do have a certain fondness for 7.

Decisions decisions...

Octopath is a very good game with very uninteresting characters. Every character in Final Fantasy VI is infinitely more likeable and better defined than those of Octopath. 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Octopath Traveler is another option I suppose, but I'd really like to get her into Final Fantasy games. Maybe 12 really is the best route especially since it isn't that expensive so if she doesn't dig it then it's not a big loss and I'll still play it anyway.

Or 7. A lot of you seem to really be digging 7 a lot, I'm starting to get the itch the more I see from you all and from online ads, and I do have a certain fondness for 7.

Decisions decisions...

The 7 Remake is very very good, but keep in mind it's a Remake/Reimagining, so there are some changes.  

I went ahead and bought 7. My daughter usually wants me to sit and watch her play games so that she can pass the controller off to me...So if anything in FF7 gets too rough, I'll be there with her some of the time.

And for me, it's been so long since I played FF7 that I remember so little about it now and I played through it twice.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

And you dont have to worry about explaining  Aerith’s death to  her yet.

I'm not even worried about that. She's seen Gamora die (and then come back to life), she's seen Black Widow die, and she's seen Iron Man die.