DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

3 hours ago, Casey said:

If you do some digging, you'll find prices that aren't super outrageous or anything. I've found quite a few that are from good ranked sellers for around $70(ish).

Actually, a couple of the chain stores have copies in stock, but are only making them available for store pickup.

We're going to hit Walmart for some groceries later and I'l pick up a copy then.

This game luls you into such a false sense of security with giving you some hard normal fights....

Then smacks the ever loving shit out of you with a real boss with a KICK ASS SECOND ARRANGEMENT OF THOSE WHO FIGHT FURTHER!!  Fuck this game is great.

The side "merc" quests are ok.  Outside of that, the padding ties in at least and I'm not mad at the extra "bossish" fights (like the Turks and Roche).  I am having a bit of an issue with the thirst level of the female characters toward Cloud, but eh.  

I'm just hitting the Wall Market, so Honeybee Inn shenanigans are incoming.

I have the VR simulator unlocked so I can go after Shiva and Fat Chocobo, but I'm thinking I should wait until I have a 3 person party instead of 2 (Aerith's a magic machine, but I'm not sure I can take out the summons without an extra person).  

Only gripe about combat/materia is that they give you SOOOO fucking much materia and so varied and SO LITTLE SLOTS!  It's like they kept the slots comparative to what you had in the Original, but load you up with as much matiera as you'd have in Disc 3.  That's my one dissappointment, is that you can't do much with all the combos you have.  I'm sure that'll get deeper in later Episodes though.

Which leads me to wondering, how are they handling carryover to next episode?  

Edited by Raziel

I did Shiva OK with just Cloud and Aerith (after thinking I was meant to do it solo and faceplanting hard), keeping your distance at the right times and popping Ifrit and Limit Breaks when you can should do it

Rude was kind of like a heavyweight version of Ricochet lol, those extra fights were fairly enjoyable, moreso Reno

I would hope they'd do carryover like the Witcher DLC, where you keep what you've got if you played the first one, but they give you a default suitably leveled loadout to start if not

Yeah, Shiva wasn't as bad as I thought, because I remembered I had Irfit. 

Fuck that fucking Hellhouse.  That was the hardest fight in this game so far.

The whole Honeybee Inn sequence might be one of the greatest things committed to a video game.

Edited by Raziel

I've about 90 minutes into it, so I've met the Aerith and had the first real PTSD Nibelheim flashback. Holy shit. Just holy shit. 

(my power was out all day yesterday otherwise I'd've been another 10 hours into it)

My only concern at the moment is they had Barret make a real cult-leader like speech at the beginning of chapter 2. I'm'a a little worried, but I'll see what happens when I finally get back to the Seventh Heaven.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 8:11 AM, Raziel said:

For years I said that Nobuo Uematsu's magnum opus was Final Fantasy X's soundtrack, I was wrong, it's THIS soundtrack.  

I agree.  It's always been my opinion that Those Chosen By the Planet is arguably his best work.  No music he's ever composed sets the stage like that track does.

Edited by J.T.

There's some really fantastic music work in this game, especially the way things blend into one another, like when area music kicks into a harder arrangement for battles.  And like:

The Hell House got me, playing normal battle music for stage 1 then laughing at you when it turned into stage 2 and they snuck in another arrangement of "Those Who Fight Further" into it and you realize that yes, you're in a fucking boss fight.

The Boss fights are NOT fucking around.  

The combat system is really good once you get used to it and learn how to pop around, switch between characters, and figure out the way to deal with everything.  

I'm finding a distinct lack of grinding.  I don't know if it's that I just need to go further away to respawn the mobs, and so far I'm not falling behind any enemies (although here in Chapter 9, I'm starting to notice some stuff getting harder), and I've done every side mission so far, but I'm also way short on money (can't keep up with armor upgrades, still missing a couple pieces of Materia (like Revive) ,so I'm wondering if I'm just not "grinding" right.

• Like 2

I'm trying to be patient and not just buy this right now. My backlog is so big, and I'm trying to chip away at some financial stuff. Plus, I know this will inevitably be on a flash sale through Sony for like $45 within a month.

The real test will be if I make it to this weekend without the FOMO purchase.

• Like 2

I just started late last night and am into Chapter 3. I love what they did with the aftermath of the Reactor explosion. Even knowing the truth behind it it still kind of hits seeing all of those poor bastards so miserable in and pain.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I heard someone say they are changing some of the plot points. While I can understand tweaks here and therez hard to believe they might change one major plot point...

Reveal hidden contents

can they really not kill Aerith?

Absolutely can't. Not unless this remake is supposed to dump everything that came before in the trash, which has not been my understanding. 

Considering what they've done so far, there's a zero chance they're not gonna do it.  Hell, they already dropped a hint (and looks like they already rendered most of the scene).  

The only really MAJOR change I've seen is

The truth as to why Shinra was letting Avalanche blow up the first 2 reactors and a better explanation as to why they decided to drop the plate on Sector 7.

Actual no joke spoilers this time. I recommend avoiding until you finish the game.

A lot of people are going to dislike the ending, it's going to be the most divisive thing about the game. It takes a super-hard left from the traditional story it followed up to that point. I kind of feel like they were trying to cover their bases in case they don't actually get to make a part 2, as unlikely as that seems.

I will say that I'd actually be shocked if they're still planning to kill Aerith. Even if she dies I feel like they're gonna pull some Kingdom Hearts Bullshit. What they pulled with Barrett makes it pretty clear we're gonna get weird. The whole Plot Ghosts thing is giving them carte blanche to do some really crazy bullshit.

Spoiler

From everything seen, this is an "of two minds" thing.

On the one hand- if they are trying to remake FF7, you kind of have to kill Aerith to get it (since it's such a big part of the game that you can argue us putting it in spoilers doesn't apply: "Aerith dies" is basically video gaming's answer to "Rosebud was his sled": the one spoiler which is so famous, and so big a plot point, that if you love the medium, you already know the spoiler by now. 

...on the other hand...

FF7 is such a big game, and such a big moment- that by that same token, Aerith dying is a gut punch every Final Fantasy fan knows is coming and is fully prepared for. It's a gut punch we've already steeled ourselves for, and so rather than the 1997 reaction of "Oh my god, did that just happen? C-can I use a Phoenix Down on her? Did...did she really get killed? She's not dead, right? RIGHT???", fans will think "this scene was amazing. I HAVE to see how this is handled in this game...can the PS4's graphics manage to outdo how "Advent Children" handled the death scene?" 

In movies, we already saw how the 1998 shot-for-shot remake of "Psycho" was an abject failure- they did everything exactly like the original, and as a result it was guaranteed to fail, simply because there was none of the gut punch in the 1998 version. You knew the twists going into the movie- it promised to be a shot-for-shot remake after all. Because they changed nothing, it could not possibly be as good as the original "Psycho" simply because everyone knew what was going to happen- and in "Psycho", the shock MADE that movie.

With all of that in mind:  if the creators of FF7 Remake REALLY wanted to make Remake as good or better than FF7...wouldn't the single best way they can do it be to have Sephiroth kill a different character in this game? If everyone has steeled themselves for the "Aerith dies" gut punch, are already expecting all the manly tears they will shed when Aerith dies in this game, are fully prepared and honestly, a little excited to see just how the game handles one of the most iconic scenes in video gaming history...and so paradoxically, the only possible way for FF7 Remake to draw out that same reaction from the player that FF7 got in 1997 and truly make the fan get that same gut punch reaction would be "Okay, this is it, end of the first disk on the original game...this is the time it happens, Sephiroth is there, it's time fo-HOLY SHIT DID SEPHIROTH JUST KILL TIFA INSTEAD???" beat. "...oh my god, did that just happen? H-how could they make that big a change? C-can I use a Phoenix Down on her? Th-they're going to kill Aerith instead of her, right? RIGHT???"

They built up Biggs, Jesse, and Wedge enough that even knowing their deaths are coming, it still hurt.  I'm actually amazed they saved as many NPC's in Sector 7 as they did.  

Everything with the Whispers and Red's "Here's what the deal with them is" pretty much points to that they are gonna kill Aerith, and it's still gonna hurt.  It's something that's SO ingrained in the story that there'd be a massive backlash if they did anything different.  The move itself in 97 took balls to do, balls that not many devs would even steer into, so pulling back or doing a switch out would cheapen the entire thing, because the whole point of her death was making Holy work so that the meteor didn't destroy the world.  NOT killing her kinda cheapens that.  Her changing her "destiny" to live is would cause Sephiroth to win and the vision in the Shinra planetarium to come to pass, so ergo, she has to die in that sacrifice.

I do dig them hitting us over the head with the hammer that Cloud is a Sephiroth clone instead of just slyly hinting.

• Like 1

God damn this Whack-a-mole fight in Hojo's lab, fuck every fight in Hojo's lab, this is getting ridiculous...

*Jenova fight happens and rolls into the redone Elevator fight into the Motorcycle chase*

1282786204310.jpg?1318992465

THAT JENOVA MUSIC DURING THAT FIGHT OMG UEMATSU AND HAMAUZU ARE FUCKING GODS!