DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

I tried the free demo. Got as far as the first Boss fight, and... not for me. You tell it to use a potion and instead the guy takes damage and doesn't do it. Then then menu is greyed out and you can't do anything. Feels like it's trying to be both turn-based and real time at the same time, and that doesn't work. Not for me, anyway. It's why I didn't love Dragon Age as much as some people did. Couldn't get my head around the combat.

Edited by AxB

Yeah, anything but straight attack uses ATB points, which attacks fill.  It takes a bit of getting used to, and the enemies can cancel you pretty easy.

But yeah, there Classic mode which runs it old school.

• 4 weeks later...

See, this new trailer for the game (which launches on April 10 for PS4—although many stores in Europe and Australia are now selling the game early thanks to the coronavirus pandemic) is full of spoilers. Not just 23-year-old spoilers, but spoilers for the remake, which is full of brand new twists and turns. So if you’d like to remain unspoiled, stay away from this trailer.

Was just about to post that. I'm watching it anyways, but I know others will be bothered.

EDIT: Wow, I knew there would be some rewriting for new story and whatnot but damn. They are definitely not following the original to a slavish degree despite having so much of it still present. There is a lot of shit there that is being told early and a shit ton more characters involved. Wonder if they will really just stick us with the original cast as far as party members go. 

Edited by Eivion

I now have both Syncros and Awakenings for Rydia, Ultimecia, AND Lightning, plus a Syncho for Terra. Given the large number of Awakenings I picked up this fest and the deployment of the Record Boards, I'm definitely ready for at least 5 elements of Odin to get the multi-elemental resistant accessories and so I can turn most of my other ones into rainbow crystals and free up my inventory, and probably even to take on some of the 6* Magicites. 

I mean, just saying.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:24 AM, Eivion said:

Was just about to post that. I'm watching it anyways, but I know others will be bothered.

EDIT: Wow, I knew there would be some rewriting for new story and whatnot but damn. They are definitely not following the original to a slavish degree despite having so much of it still present. There is a lot of shit there that is being told early and a shit ton more characters involved. Wonder if they will really just stick us with the original cast as far as party members go. 

Reviews for it have been pretty glowing so far. I watched the front part of a Giant Bomb quick look. The IGN Video review I watched said it took about 30ish hours to complete.

• Like 1

I cannot stress enough how much pleasure I take from knowing Nobuo Uematsu rose from whatever illness it was that tried to strike him down to come in and work on re-orchestrating this soundtrack, because it has elevated it to places I honestly never heard when I played the original. Square even at their worst tend to absolutely dominate on the music front, but even then, somehow I wasn't expecting it to be *this* good.

Also, no spoilers here, but I am super happy about the way they handled and expanded the whole famous sequence with the dress. It was so fucking great. Watching it on a fairly sizable stream, chat was absolutely rolling.

This is, easily, the horniest mainstream video game ever made not bearing the name "Witcher".

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Anyone get a physical copy today?  They seem hard to come by.  I probably should have pre-ordered.

I'll probably go the eBay route and just pay scalpers prices for the deluxe edition.

My older bother bought his deluxe edition off of Amazon some time last weekend and it won't arrive until Tuesday. I'm guessing if you wanted a physical copy the day of release then you had to have ordered at least a month ago. My sister went the digital route so I assume she downloaded her copy today though I have no idea if she started playing yet. I assume I shall hear form her soon as she called me earlier this week right after she finished the demo.

7 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Anyone get a physical copy today?  They seem hard to come by.  I probably should have pre-ordered.

I'll probably go the eBay route and just pay scalpers prices for the deluxe edition.

If you do some digging, you'll find prices that aren't super outrageous or anything. I've found quite a few that are from good ranked sellers for around $70(ish).

8 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Mine will supposedly be here tomorrow, altho I don't remember asking for anything other than standard postal shipping.

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I cannot stress enough how much pleasure I take from knowing Nobuo Uematsu rose from whatever illness it was that tried to strike him down to come in and work on re-orchestrating this soundtrack, because it has elevated it to places I honestly never heard when I played the original. Square even at their worst tend to absolutely dominate on the music front, but even then, somehow I wasn't expecting it to be *this* good.

Watching the "making of" videos SquareEnix put out has been a treat. Masashi Hamauzu gets literal heart eyes just talking about Uematsu, it's great. I can't wait to hear what they've done.

For years I said that Nobuo Uematsu's magnum opus was Final Fantasy X's soundtrack, I was wrong, it's THIS soundtrack.  Just everything it amazing, the way the music just seamlessly mixes into each song during battles is fantastic. 

Far as the game proper, It's definitely built on FFXV's engine, but with a bunch of improvements, like being able to control your party's actions.  I'm not sure about how they're handling summons yet, but I only have the 1 from pre-ordering so I haven't gotten more in depth that that.  I'm digging the weapon mod system and thinking that since all weapons get SP from leveling that it may focus more on upgrading a smaller set than constantly buying new ones, but I could be off there.  Digging that there's way more materia and it levels faster, with a bunch of it applying different stat and ability upgrades as well as just plain magic.

Far as what I thought about time, like I said, I could casually do the Midgar section of OG in around 3:30.  I'm 4 hours in with the sidequests so far and I'm only where I would be 30 minutes into OG, so yeah, they did some great expanding.

I'm doing this first round of sidequests seeing the residents of Sector 7 and, man, this is gonna be heartwrenching later.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

If you do some digging, you'll find prices that aren't super outrageous or anything. I've found quite a few that are from good ranked sellers for around $70(ish).

Actually, a couple of the chain stores have copies in stock, but are only making them available for store pickup.

We're going to hit Walmart for some groceries later and I'l pick up a copy then.

This game luls you into such a false sense of security with giving you some hard normal fights....

Then smacks the ever loving shit out of you with a real boss with a KICK ASS SECOND ARRANGEMENT OF THOSE WHO FIGHT FURTHER!!  Fuck this game is great.

The side "merc" quests are ok.  Outside of that, the padding ties in at least and I'm not mad at the extra "bossish" fights (like the Turks and Roche).  I am having a bit of an issue with the thirst level of the female characters toward Cloud, but eh.  

I'm just hitting the Wall Market, so Honeybee Inn shenanigans are incoming.

I have the VR simulator unlocked so I can go after Shiva and Fat Chocobo, but I'm thinking I should wait until I have a 3 person party instead of 2 (Aerith's a magic machine, but I'm not sure I can take out the summons without an extra person).  

Only gripe about combat/materia is that they give you SOOOO fucking much materia and so varied and SO LITTLE SLOTS!  It's like they kept the slots comparative to what you had in the Original, but load you up with as much matiera as you'd have in Disc 3.  That's my one dissappointment, is that you can't do much with all the combos you have.  I'm sure that'll get deeper in later Episodes though.

Which leads me to wondering, how are they handling carryover to next episode?  

Edited by Raziel

I did Shiva OK with just Cloud and Aerith (after thinking I was meant to do it solo and faceplanting hard), keeping your distance at the right times and popping Ifrit and Limit Breaks when you can should do it

Rude was kind of like a heavyweight version of Ricochet lol, those extra fights were fairly enjoyable, moreso Reno

I would hope they'd do carryover like the Witcher DLC, where you keep what you've got if you played the first one, but they give you a default suitably leveled loadout to start if not