DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

The decline in popularity of Squeenix properties in recent years can be directly connected to a lack of blitzball. No one, and I mean NO ONE, would be shitting on either XII OR XIII if they had blitzball.

• Like 2

Nah. I shat on FF 12 and FF 13 mainly because I didn't want to spend 5 fucking hours in one battle. Or months making the party anything respectable against foes with a HP of 1 trillion and nothing but one-hit kill shots. Fuck that. haha

• Like 1

Besides, the best mini-game ever, regardless of game, generation, or genre is Blitzball in 10. Lord knows I've punched in twice as many hours in blitzball tournaments than the random battles.

Said it before and I'll say it again; A fully fleshed out tablet/iPad version of Blitzball would do great numbers.

• Like 2

Besides, the best mini-game ever, regardless of game, generation, or genre is Blitzball in 10. Lord knows I've punched in twice as many hours in blitzball tournaments than the random battles.

Said it before and I'll say it again; A fully fleshed out tablet/iPad version of Blitzball would do great numbers.

I'd buy that shit in a heartbeat. Blitzball Online, anyone?

• Like 2

I'm just mad I can't find my physical copy of the game because I feel like loading all my spells and GFs on Seifer, piss about on Dollet for a few hours, and make the game a fucking JOKE by the time he leaves and gets replaced by useless-ass ADHD poster child and precursor to the self-photo movement Selphie Telmitt, but I can't justify dropping $10 on the PS Store to DL it on my console. Thanks, D_n_D.

I own a physical copy but because it's some crazy-ass version with a weird serial number that only fucking idiots own, it doesn't work on my PS3, I had to download a digital version to tide me over when I'm feeling nostalgic. Just imagine the resigned disappointment that came about when I added funds to my wallet for that purchase. And recently, I had to factory reset my PS3 so I lost all my saves which means I'll almost certainly start the game again when I'm hungover.

I'm just mad I can't find my physical copy of the game because I feel like loading all my spells and GFs on Seifer, piss about on Dollet for a few hours, and make the game a fucking JOKE by the time he leaves and gets replaced by useless-ass ADHD poster child and precursor to the self-photo movement Selphie Telmitt, but I can't justify dropping $10 on the PS Store to DL it on my console. Thanks, D_n_D.

You jest, but her in-cut-scene suggestion of "Blow It To Smithereens With a Rocket Launcher" was a way more practical idea (and more in line with the tactical thinking you'd expect from PROFESSIONAL SOLDIERS) than the bullshit train jumping minigame players ended up having to do during that phase of the game.  Would've been a more fun minigame, too.  Stock FF party roster Perky Airhead Girl that she is, I'm discovering as I play through the game again she often comes off as the Shakespearian Fool (i.e. the only one talking any sense) in some of the game's more tortured leaps of logic to set up the next set-piece of game play.  And her ideas on how to chop the Gordian Knot are no-sold by the "sane" members of the team every time.

Selphie's rocket launcher plans are flawless when you think about it which means it almost couldn't be motioned by anyone in the rest of that game. A FFVIII-2 would see at least 4 instances of Selphie looking right into the camera like Oliver Hardy as her idiot teammates conspired the most ridiculous plans imaginable. 

You jest, but her in-cut-scene suggestion of "Blow It To Smithereens With a Rocket Launcher" was a way more practical idea (and more in line with the tactical thinking you'd expect from PROFESSIONAL SOLDIERS) than the bullshit train jumping minigame players ended up having to do during that phase of the game. Would've been a more fun minigame, too. Stock FF party roster Perky Airhead Girl that she is, I'm discovering as I play through the game again she often comes off as the Shakespearian Fool (i.e. the only one talking any sense) in some of the game's more tortured leaps of logic to set up the next set-piece of game play. And her ideas on how to chop the Gordian Knot are no-sold by the "sane" members of the team every time.

Selphie's rocket launcher plans are flawless when you think about it which means it almost couldn't be motioned by anyone in the rest of that game. A FFVIII-2 would see at least 4 instances of Selphie looking right into the camera like Oliver Hardy as her idiot teammates conspired the most ridiculous plans imaginable.

You, sir, are the Ben of video games.

• 4 weeks later...

This made my day and almost redeems these dumb games.

http://kotaku.com/squares-16-bit-final-fantasy-xiii-retrospective-is-jus-1511460116

It's also fairly frustrating. Why can't they just make an old school FF game? I gotta imagine it would cost a fraction of what FF XIII cost to make and would earn them so much good will from fans.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up Lightning Returns on Friday. This game is kicking my ass. I'm on day 5 already and I've only been able to push the total number of days up to 8. I haven't even finished the first main quest they present you with. I'm at the very end, but Noel keeps kicking my ass. I guess I really haven't gotten the hang of doing the sidequests to level up.

I really dislike how many of the garbs have certain abilities locked on certain buttons and there's nothing you can do about it. It fucks with the system I had set up to be able to keep things straight when I'm cycling through schematas in the middle of battle.

I think I'm going to end up either starting over or having to do another playthrough to get everything right.

I picked up Lightning Returns on Friday. This game is kicking my ass. I'm on day 5 already and I've only been able to push the total number of days up to 8. I haven't even finished the first main quest they present you with. I'm at the very end, but Noel keeps kicking my ass. I guess I really haven't gotten the hang of doing the sidequests to level up.

I really dislike how many of the garbs have certain abilities locked on certain buttons and there's nothing you can do about it. It fucks with the system I had set up to be able to keep things straight when I'm cycling through schematas in the middle of battle.

I think I'm going to end up either starting over or having to do another playthrough to get everything right.

I haven't finished XIII or XIII-2, so I'm waiting for this to drop in price, which if this is like XIII-2, it will pretty quickly.

I actually started on Easy level and am having no problems.  For some reason Squeenix recommended to reviewers to first play on Easy to get used to the gameplay changes.  So...it almost sounds like Easy should be Normal, Normal should be Hard and Hard should be Very Hard.

I had no idea. Yeah, I think I'm going to be restarting this. And playing on Easy. Losing an hour for having to leave a battle is balls. Especially when it's a boss fight. Like, I get using it as a punishment for fleeing a fight, but when you get beaten to hell and you have no more options but to fall on your sword...come on. The other day I lost two battles to Noel, then the clock hit 6:00am, and I got beamed back up to the Ark and now I can't get back to that fight for another 14 hours of in-game time because the gate to his location is closed.

Balls, I say.

Just as a followup, from http://kotaku.com/one-easy-tip-for-playing-lightning-returns-final-fanta-1520661938

Boo! Hiss! Easy mode is for newbies and communists! Sure it is, but sometimes it just works better. Maybe Normal Mode difficulty was determined by some gaming mastermind. Perhaps they meant to say Normal, Hard, and Nightmare, but changed their minds at the last minute. Whatever the case was, this is one of those times.

Even Square Enix thinks so. From the reviewer's guide that came with my copy of the game:

Please note that as the game features a more challenging and strategy-oriented battle system, we highly encourage the first play-through to be played on the "Easy Mode".

I did not read the reviewers guide when I first played through the game, and my experience was worse for it. Dealing with a story that wasn't capturing my attention was worsened by struggling to master a combat system weighed heavily on trial-and-error, especially considering the consequences of the 'error' portion.

I started playing FFXIII again, so I can get it finished. I am in Chapter 5. I forgot how frustrating the mechanics of this game can be and that I had to reteach myself how to actually play it.  Also, not being able to control your party members commands can be frustrating especially when you're having to cycle through Paradigm shifts to find the right one.

I just got destroyed by a feral behemoth.

• 2 weeks later...

What was really annoying about the 13 system was that they brought back that never not missed thing about the battle being over as soon as the leader of the party got killed. Doesn't help screaming at the fucking medic to heal.

• Like 1

What was really annoying about the 13 system was that they brought back that never not missed thing about the battle being over as soon as the leader of the party got killed. Doesn't help screaming at the fucking medic to heal.

Yeah, the game is not as much predicated on the attacks (Auto-Battle is normally the quickest way to get things done) due to the pacing not really letting you figure out strategy like a true turn-based game.

It is predicated on how quickly you can find the right paradigm, which sometimes can take a minute for you to remember the placement of the combos.

I was gonna comment on how FFX is the FFVII of the PS2 era, but then I remember there wasn't a better FF game for that system than X.  

I liked X, but I'm gonna pass on the HD pack, since I don't have the time with my backlogue to get to the Dark Aeons, which is the only thing I haven't done on X.  

• 3 weeks later...

I hated FFXIII at first. I decided to give it another shot and 40 hours later I'm on chapter 11 an really enjoying the battles. Not my favorite but at least the fights have been mostly challenging. I feel like most final fantasies are a great RPG trapped in there somewhere. FF9 is a great example of an awesome story, amazing production for its time, interesting systems and mechanics... however there is no chance of any of the enemies killing you so all that other stuff is kind of pointless. I played FF9 a few years ago. I got to the second disc avoiding as many fights as possible to hopefully make the next boss challening only to end up beating the boss with little thought required.. and stealing all their stuff. Tried playing FFX, I'm 6 hours in and I would have literally had to have fallen asleep with my nose on the X button to have died in battle. Great stories and graphics but its either cakewalk or overpowered superboss. So for all of its flaws I'm enjoying FFXIII just because its a JRPG that actually has a good challenge without being cheap. (except for the eidolon battles which are not fun at all :P ). For FF 7-10 its like you have been given adamantium, freddy krueger machete gloves to cut paper with.