DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

But I don't particularly give a shit about Final Fantasy. It's just that 7 was always lauded as 'the best game ever' since I was a teenager and now I'm an adult I've never cracked it it's this challenge that haunts me

If you don't give a shit about Final Fantasy then there is really no reason to play it. If you actually cared about the series then sure. It was a good game for its time with decent characters and story. Its not as good as  say IV or VI, but worth checking out. The best game ever talk was always ridiculous and came from those who were not used to rpgs, Japanese style or otherwise. Its important for introducing a new generation of fans to rpgs, but there are certainly many games better than it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

A whole bunch of people that haven't revisited 7 in 20 years are going to be incredibly mad on social media when that thing finally comes out.

Spoiling a 20 year old game (and a certain death) will annoy a lot of people most likely. 

I fired up the PC version of VII last night, and... I got past the first boss but aren't really inclined to keep going.  I'll probably wait and see how the Remake is gonna come out.  

the Steam Version of IX, on the other hand, I ran into mods that upped the resolution on the backgrounds to bring it even with the foreground sprites (thus making everything less jarring) and switched the font back into PSX classic font, making the Steam version way more playable, so I don't have to keep pulling out my PS3 to play it.

I burned out without finishing 9 which is on me for trying to do 4, 7, 8 and 9 back to back. But when you get by the general Japanese "female characters need to be flirted with" weirdness that is just ultra-prevelant in all JRPGs, it felt like an amazing game. I should really go back to it at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Allow me to reiterate how fun FFRK is.

I'm currently fighting Zalera and three shadow fiends from FFT, in a FFVI style battle with ATB, with Sephiroth, Aerith, Golbez, Garland, and Cloud (My dark physical team just happens to be VII heavy;  just fought the Juggernauts from XIII with a team with Sora, Selphie, Bartz, Vincent, and the game's basic character).

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I'm going to wait till a decent sale, but I can't lie, they may have managed to sell me on just getting that Midgard chapter. Like I probably would have gotten it anyways, but that has me excited.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm still going to wait until the entire game get's remade instead of a 60 hour version of the first 15 hours, 

but that "Those Who Fight Further" arrangement is straight fire.

The music is excellent, but that silent, final shot is what sold me. Holy shit that's amazing.

I'm not the biggest 7 fan, but I will say it very much looks like "the game they wanted FF 15 to be but it didn't quite get there", and everyone I have heard who has had a chance to play the game at conventions has raved about having fun with the combat system. Sounds great, to be honest.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:58 AM, D.Z said:

Picture of 8's HD Remaster because if I'm quoting a thread from June the least I can do is not quote a big picture

Currently replaying the HD Remaster of 8 (have it on PS4 and Switch because I'm kind of obsessed with it.)

In practice, the game's remaster...doesn't look as awe-inspiring as the FF7 full remake, but it looks at least on par with the PS2-era Final Fantasy games' look- at least character wise. Background-wise, it depends on how far you get in the game: The more detailed backgrounds look amazing, but the less detailed ones look just as bad or worse.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Currently replaying the HD Remaster of 8 (have it on PS4 and Switch because I'm kind of obsessed with it.)

In practice, the game's remaster...doesn't look as awe-inspiring as the FF7 full remake, but it looks at least on par with the PS2-era Final Fantasy games' look- at least character wise. Background-wise, it depends on how far you get in the game: The more detailed backgrounds look amazing, but the less detailed ones look just as bad or worse.

Do you know, or can you tell, if they did any new translations? 

Finally got a character to the beginning of Shadowbringer in FF XIV. This writing is AMAZING. At the end of Stormblood you think you know what's going on in the Garlean Empire. HA! The post Stormblood quest lines throw all of that into chaos. The Domen story is incredibly dark. And poor Thancred just keeps being the plot's whipping boy. This is now my new standard of MMO writing, BioWare beware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Finally got a character to the beginning of Shadowbringer in FF XIV. This writing is AMAZING. At the end of Stormblood you think you know what's going on in the Garlean Empire. HA! The post Stormblood quest lines throw all of that into chaos. The Domen story is incredibly dark. And poor Thancred just keeps being the plot's whipping boy. This is now my new standard of MMO writing, BioWare beware.

Shadowbringers is honestly a tour de force in what a modern MMO expansion can be. Honestly all their expansions are so strong and even from early on in Heavensward you can see the writing has taken a significant turn upwards where all the secondary pieces on the board are so much more interesting and have more depth to them.

One of the things that has been super cool about jumping in with the game this deep in has been being able to very clearly watch how the dungeons/trials/bosses evolve over time and build on each other. How they try and build new superbosses that build on everything you've learned before and it just keeps getting more and more wild the farther you go, until you become comfortable standing in a tornado of fireworks. So many of the big bosses in this game are fucking amazing.

• Like 1