DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I bought the digital deluxe edition with Christmas money a year or two back.

Yeah, I almost bought the deluxe version at launch, but availability wasn't there, and the only reason I didn't go digital at the time was due to Amazon Prime.

Now, I pretty much go digital for anything I know I won't trade in, and I'm pretty much trying to have less physical discs in my house.

I traded in my FFXV copy for a digital copy of the Royal edition at Gamestop today. I'll get the download code at lunch tomorrow.

I bought it since it was a good deal at the time and I had the money. Usually I just get the regular edition of games. I knew there would be DLC coming though and I think that covered most of it.

• 7 months later...

Necro because Royal Edition when 50% off on PSN so I picked it up.  I'm digging it so far, although I just got the car so I'm only an hour or so in, since I went around and did some hunt sidequests and started learning the combat system and farming.  I'm hoping how to make better magic comes along since it seems I'm on a rail until Chapter 2.

I'm loving 15 so far, the whole open world thing and can take my time.  I'm in chapter 3, but I'm now getting bombared with Imp soldier drops when I'm doing other shit and getting annoyed because I'm taking serious damage now while Level 18.  I think I really need to learn the intricies of the magic, equipment, and combat systems (since you can change loadouts mid-battle, I'm guessing that makes a difference.)

Downloaded the Royal Edition. Was kind of grossed out that the game started w/ a tutorial instead of some evocative opening scene. Then the game glitched during the third part of the tutorial and I couldn't continue.

I haven't played a new Final Fantasy game since X (although I'm probably good for XII when it hits Switch). The series was a big favorite of mine growing up, FFVI is my go-to answer for favorite game of all time. I generally distrust modern AAA anything so last night's experience was a real kick in the nuts.

The tutorial is optional, but recommended, because the other option was to wedge the tutorial into the first few fights instead and put it on rails then just tossing you in like it did.  And don't worry, the game proper starts up with a big opening scene like the rest of the games.  

Far as the bug, that's not indicitive of the game, as I'm 10 hours in and haven't hit anything bad yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, My "I'm almost finished the game" review of FFXV.

I loved this game up until Chapter 9, then the whole story takes a massive hard turn off the rails in a hurry and hits the fast forward button.  I'm overall dissappointed with how then just almost swerved for the sake of swerving and did almost zero setup to what the final third of the game was, just kinda pulled it out of nowhere.  And worse, unless you scour the dungeon areas, you zoom right past the lore explaining what the heck is going on, and even then it's not that clear.  And I might've cared about any of the major twists if they were in any way either hinted at or we spent more than 30 seconds (or 10 minutes in Luna's case) with them.

Combat was a joke.  I mean, yeah I did a ton of sidequests and leveled, but 90% of the fights boiled down to "Hold O, occasionally move, hold Square when prompted to parry, occasionally warp strike, toss in a link move to speed it up a bit".  The summons would be neat if they even gave you the faintest hint of the requirments to preform them.  

This really feels like half a game, where the first 8 chapters were paced nicely, fun with the driving and exploring and sidequesting, but the final 3rd was a mess, and combat really felt like an afterthought, as most of the time I barely needed to use the magic system, and the best straight up sword for Noctis had overly easy requirements to upgrade and get.  With this being the 3rd main line single player FF in a row that was underwhelming (The base version of XII was bleh, I haven't been able to play Zodiac Age yet to see if that fixed the issues I had with it gameplay wise, doubt it fixed the story issues), I highly doubt another FF will be on my radar again anytime soon.  I'll swing back to wrap it up and it looks like the Platinum is pretty easy to get, but for now, it's off to dig further into my pile of shame.

21 hours ago, Raziel said:

(The base version of XII was bleh, I haven't been able to play Zodiac Age yet to see if that fixed the issues I had with it gameplay wise, doubt it fixed the story issues

You would be correct in that the story is still a convoluted mash of Ashe's revenge and Basch's guilt and Balthier's heroics and Vaan's existing. The Zodiak system did make the combat something you occasionally had to think about, instead of never really think about, and is still the best part of the game. ?

That at least sounds promising, as I'm growing ever more frustrated at Squeenix because I wish they'd put as much effort into gameplay and story as they do into making it look pretty.  The bug I got in the Imperal Throne room first time I entered the area up the elevator was unexcusible that it made it past QA.

• Like 1

I pulled 10/33 on the Golden Week pull last night. New USBs for Faris (wind imperil chase on thief attacks), Nabaat (XIII, which would have been great before I finally defeated 4* Magicite Siren), and Yuffie (Clear Tranquil), with a burst for Leon (II), and LMRs for Wakka, Cloud(25% wind-doublecast), and someone else. A dupe Marche USB and General Leo (VI) BSB. Good haul all around though nothing game changing. I'm debating diving Faris which will help with the V torment theoretically but I don't know.

None of you care.

• 5 months later...

HOLY FUCK IT'S OUT FOR XBOX ONE~!

oh, and yeah it's available on Nintendo Switch or something.

I thought I had outgrown JPRPG's but I think they may have outgrown me.  That fucking Job / License Board system looks like it requires a Ph.D to figure out.

As much as my OCD is intimidated by the Gambit system, I am marking out for the fucking airships.

This may be the first FF game I have legit bought in over a decade.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

HOLY FUCK IT'S OUT FOR XBOX ONE~!

oh, and yeah it's available on Nintendo Switch or something.

I thought I had outgrown JPRPG's but I think they may have outgrown me.  That fucking Job / License Board system looks like it requires a Ph.D to figure out.

As much as my OCD is intimidated by the Gambit system, I am marking out for the fucking airships.

This may be the first FF game I have legit bought in over a decade.

It's actually pretty intuitive, thankfully. And the gambit system is amazing. FF XII is a probably the one game that I love to start up but only have finished like maybe twice. There is tons to explore and do.

More to come in June, release date in another 2 years.

Also, wonderful, either XIII or XV's system.  Because they weren't bad and boring enough.

Okay. Real talk. I've attempted to play that game about three times since 1997. First time was when it was released. It was my first RPG and I didn't get it at all, I sucked and it bored the hell out of me.

Second time was at uni in 2007, I got all the way to the airship and the PC disc was scratched and I couldn't go any further.

Third time was through Steam and my gameplay just petered out as I had better things to be doing.

Do I really, reeeeeally need to complete this game? It has become my white whale

33 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Okay. Real talk. I've attempted to play that game about three times since 1997. First time was when it was released. It was my first RPG and I didn't get it at all, I sucked and it bored the hell out of me.

Second time was at uni in 2007, I got all the way to the airship and the PC disc was scratched and I couldn't go any further.

Third time was through Steam and my gameplay just petered out as I had better things to be doing.

Do I really, reeeeeally need to complete this game? It has become my white whale

No. There are at least three better Final Fantasies?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dogwelder said:

• Aeris and Barret's reskins are GLORIOUS~!
  • They avoided putting Tifa in the trailer.  If she's not wearing the hot pants and suspenders with her trademark knuckledusters, I will be sorely disappointed.  She can still smash people in the teeth and be super hot at the same time.
  • Aeris Ressurection quest or GTFO
  • I am not sure if the new combat format will make the Weapon fights more infuriating or less infuriating.
Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:
  • Aeris and Barret's reskins are GLORIOUS~!
  • They avoided putting Tifa in the trailer.  If she's not wearing the hot pants and suspenders with her trademark knuckledusters, I will be sorely disappointed.  She can still smash people in the teeth and be super hot at the same time.
  • Aeris Ressurection quest or GTFO
  • I am not sure if the new combat format will make the Weapon fights more infuriating or less infuriating.

If it's XV's system and is "Mash O:The Game" with an occasional dodge, more infuriating because those super fights in XV took forever.  If it's XIII, then it's "Spam X: The Game" and that'll be more infurating.  So. I dunno.

12 minutes ago, Raziel said:

If it's XV's system and is "Mash O:The Game" with an occasional dodge, more infuriating because those super fights in XV took forever.  If it's XIII, then it's "Spam X: The Game" and that'll be more infurating.  So. I dunno.

I'm not so much concerned about the fights themselves as I am about the prep work.  On average it took me about fifteen minutes or so to thwack each WEAPON, but the fucking shit you have to do to be ready for the encounters is what drives people to alcoholism.

I'd prefer that my classic RPGs be a little more straight forward. Micromanaging minutiae may pack on game hours, but it isn't always fun.

The exception to that is probably FF Tactics.  The grind to get the really good weapons and summons for my people was a pain in the ass, but I enjoyed the extreme power curve I had on final boss at the end of the game.  I had Ramza so geared up that the game engine had Ultima move AWAY from him at her max speed on every turn.

But that is game logistics for a final boss fight.  In this case, you are doing that for every WEAPON as well as Sephiroth.  No Bueno.

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

No. There are at least three better Final Fantasies?

But I don't particularly give a shit about Final Fantasy. It's just that 7 was always lauded as 'the best game ever' since I was a teenager and now I'm an adult I've never cracked it it's this challenge that haunts me

4 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

But I don't particularly give a shit about Final Fantasy. It's just that 7 was always lauded as 'the best game ever' since I was a teenager and now I'm an adult I've never cracked it it's this challenge that haunts me

So, looking at the battle system, the game will almost certainly be worse to play than the original version.

My comment stands. 

No. 

Go pick a more fulfilling challenge, like reading Finnegan's Wake or playing Disgaea or something. 

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

So, looking at the battle system, the game will almost certainly be worse to play than the original version.

My comment stands. 

No. 

Go pick a more fulfilling challenge, like reading Finnegan's Wake or playing Disgaea or something. 

10-4 buddy. Brothers Karamazov has been sat on my shelf since Christmas, still not plucked up the courage for that one!

• Like 1