DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

On 12/13/2016 at 7:58 AM, Matt D said:

I restarted FFT for the first time in a long time. I'm up to the Dormer Slums (the 4th story battle) and I forgot how annoying the game could be when it comes to grinding/leveling while making sure not to overlevel Ramza.

Two of you know what I'm talking about. I think my gameplan right now is to just not take him with me for a few random encounters to build up my nameless/faceless goons to ~level 5 or 6, then move on with the plot and once I get some actual name characters that I want to use in my party for much of the rest of the game, jettison the goons and do the same with the named characters, leveling them without Ramza for a while. That way my random encounters won't be higher leveled and they can carry Ramza to some extent. Does that make sense? It's been a while.

EDIT: Ok yeah, that doesn't work. It's on Highest Level of any party member. I think I'm done for now. From what I remember, the random encounters are better later in the game because you have better skills/deal but it's such a headache early on until you get there, combined with the stress of potentially losing party members forever. 

I'm enjoying FFXV but I need to ask who though tthe control system to interact with objects was a good idea.  Every interaction is used by the X button on the PS4 but so is the jump button and man is that infuriating.  Also I can't understand why the controls from the chocobo are so different from when your just walking around.  Minor annoyances but they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

17 hours ago, Shadow said:

I'm enjoying FFXV but I need to ask who though tthe control system to interact with objects was a good idea.  Every interaction is used by the X button on the PS4 but so is the jump button and man is that infuriating.  Also I can't understand why the controls from the chocobo are so different from when your just walking around.  Minor annoyances but they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I have only thrown a couple of hours into the game thus far and hope to really log some time with it over the weekend, but the jumping problem is definitely the one frustration for me. Also, trying to figure out how much I need to grind leveling early. There's not many encounters, and if you get stuck roaming around at night, there's always a level 30 Iron Giant that makes you run far, far away. I'm on chapter 2, and I'm roaming around Hammerhead doing Beast hunts, and trying to fully absorb elemental sections.

18 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Amazon has FF XV for $35 today if you don't already have it.

Yeah, I posted the link in the deals thread.  I didn't necessarily plan on getting the game yet, but it's hard to pass that up.

It's funny that my wife really wants to get World of Final Fantasy after trying the demo.  It's a cutesy style with chibi versions and everything, and there's a Pokemon element where you can imprison enemies.  So she wants that, but I'll gladly take FFXV and beat the tar out of some fools.  Should be a fun time.

Some notes:

1) The frequency of imperial drop ships is quite frustrating. They especially like to show up if you're in the middle of another battle. Yesterday was the first time that I was able to wipe a couple of them out without running for my life just through warp attacking with a great sword and a well-time blizzard spell.
2) I'm not in love with magic and healing being solely consumable. Prompto or Ignis seem like they should be the ideal healer, casting Cure or Cura in tough situations. Instead, you have to use resource management. Ditto, elemancy in this game. I'm sure that unlocking more stuff on the magic tree will make that easier as well as pairing consumables via crafting, but I feel like I need to spend a couple hours this weekend stockpiling flasks/potency of magic.
3) I did the hunt tied to the chocobo farm as a sidequest where you have to take out Deadeye. That was maybe one of the more unique experiences I've ever had in a Final Fantasy game, and it certainly utilizes the transition to a more open-world action-based RPG well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm downloading the deluxe edition of FFXV. Why is is going to take such an ungodly amount of time?

They also just released the patch 1.03 DLC.  Get that while you're at it. If you have the season pass you can download the holiday pack + which has the Ring of Resistance: a protective piece of jewelry that renders the entire party resistant to magical friendly fire.  That will be very useful to you starting out.  

One other tip is that when you go to any Crows Nest Diner you can play a game called Justice Monsters Five.  If you hit the bumpers during the game you will eventually get a slot machine where you can get treasures (it looks like a block of wood tbh.)  I've found that early in the game if you play it until you get to 80 treasures you get a Platinum Bangle which increases their hit points by 700.  If you're willing to get six of them, two each for Ignus, Prompto, and Noctis and put AP into getting a second equipment slot, it makes the hunts so much more fun as you're not worrying about healing the lower health characters every five seconds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing that not a lot of people on this board are playing this, but I haven't had a chance to touch this in a few weeks and I started it back last night. I am only in Chapter 3 with my characters around level 17. I understand that the imperial drops become much more nightmarish after this chapter due to higher levels and the addition of mechs.

Does anyone have a recommended level for leaving the chapter/some XP/AP/Gil grinding recommendations to do this chapter that isn't super cheesy.

Right now, I'm just trying to do as many side quests and hunts as possible. My last hunt was a lot more resource intensive than I wanted it to be because I'm still not great at combat.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally finished XV. Once you get to chapter 12 it's linear as all hell. It almost feels like they front loaded it with the side-quests and characters, only to leave the later levels with not a lot.

Loved the music options though.

dont get me wrong, it's a gorgeous game, with good intricate game play bits, but I just wished for more consistency throughout the game. Better than XIII, doesnt come close to X or XII

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Not that I have the system or time now, but just putting it out,

Squeenix lowkey dropped Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age on PS4 last night.

I knew that was coming soon.

I was going to buy that at launch, but I have such a backlog right now, that I might wait for a price drop. $50 is a bit much at the moment.

I preordered it months ago, thinking it would be the game to get me through the summer until Destiny 2 came out.

Then I bought a Switch and Zelda last Friday, and, well...not sure when I'll get around to it now.

• 4 months later...

Just finished XV for the first time. When you choose to take a picture with you I chose the picture of cup noodles I saved from that commercial quest. It really made a joke of the whole ending when they look at the picture right at the end. It was funny but talk about breaking the immersion. 

Game was disappointingly easy but still an alright experience overall.

• Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, RIPPA said:

Has Xavier ever played the FF Victory Fanfare on his trombone after Kofi or Big E scored a pinfall?

I am old and my memory isn't what it should be.

• 2 months later...

I'm fairly annoyed. I never bought the DLC for FFXV. With the Royal Edition coming out, I've debated just upgrading to that copy of the game wholesale (my copy of FFXV trades for like $11) so I could just easily get everything. However, Square has yet to release the price of the RE update. (Most are assuming $20, but the backlash with that initial announcement has people thinking Square could go $15).