DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

• 2 months later...

I played a little bit of XIII this weekend to get me back into Final Fantasy mode before XV releases. I'm debating if I'm buying that game at launch or not, and if I am going to get the Deluxe version that comes with Kingsglaive or whatever it's called. Is anyone else picking up XV next week?

As for XIII, I forgot how non-sensical the story could be in this thing, and it takes awhile to get back used to properly using the Paradigm system in this game. I'll probably finish blowing through Chapter 7 tonight and a good bit of Chapter 8.

20 hours ago, Chaos said:

As for XIII, I forgot how non-sensical the story could be in this thing, and it takes awhile to get back used to properly using the Paradigm system in this game. I'll probably finish blowing through Chapter 7 tonight and a good bit of Chapter 8.

The story doesn't get to making sense until they're all together. And even then it's one of the weaker plots, like FF VIII.  Once you get the hang of the Paradigm system, however, it's really fun to just figure out all the best ways to kick everything's ass.

20 hours ago, Chaos said:

I played a little bit of XIII this weekend to get me back into Final Fantasy mode before XV releases.

I'd have played XII myself.  That's the most immersive FF I've played in recent memory and the story actually made sense.

And, y'know, I'm a Skies of Arcadia mark so air pirates being in the story really helped.

32 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I'd have played XII myself.  That's the most immersive FF I've played in recent memory and the story actually made sense.

And, y'know, I'm a Skies of Arcadia mark so air pirates being in the story really helped.

Yeah, I'm just stubbornly trying to finish this one. I have some version of every one between 4 and 13 not counting the MMOs.

On 11/21/2016 at 11:16 AM, Chaos said:

I played a little bit of XIII this weekend to get me back into Final Fantasy mode before XV releases. I'm debating if I'm buying that game at launch or not, and if I am going to get the Deluxe version that comes with Kingsglaive or whatever it's called. Is anyone else picking up XV next week?

I'm kind of holding out till Christmas since I suspect I might get it as a gift from one of my siblings. If I don't I know where some of my Christmas cash is going. I have seen Kingsglaive. Its nice enough film.

I really need to go back and actually beat/replay XIII. I don't remember much of the story itself, but up to the point I played I recall actually liking the characters' journey if not the characters themselves(I hated Snow & Hope). I thought it would be one of the first things I went to when I got a PS3 of my own several years ago (I played my sister's game), but I instead opted for trying out all the franchises I had little familiarity with like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, ME, DA, Fallout, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

If that FF Collection rumor is true, they have my money.

If the FF Collection is real, I'll probably finally buy a PS4 (I mostly play retro games on N64 and Super NES.  Last game system I bought was a PS2).

I pulled Shadow's SSB on the Lucky draw last night, which was annoying enough that I didn't do anything else I needed to do with the game last night. Nothing against Shadow and it's really my first Ninja SSB but I'm pretty good on FFVI synergy and characters and woefully low on mythril for the festival in a couple of weeks. It's my own fault for splurging a few days ago after a frustrating night and ending up with yet another fist for Zell. I really needed multiple rainbows to inspire me on though. To be fair, I got FIVE BSBs on the Black Friday lucky draw with only one dupe (Squall<dupe>, Locke, Tidus, Faris, and Seph), which used up all my luck for the rest of the year.

Yup if that FF collection is real I'll pretty much have to get a PS4. I'm still on the xBox 360 and have been debating on which next console to get, the first nine FF's in one package, will make my decision much easier. I love to replay the early games so much, and I haven't played most of the early japan only releases at all.

General Leo becomes recruitable tonight in FFRK. It's weirdly satisfying because it brings me back to 1996 and going online and reading 30 different ways to potentially get him to come back to life in FFVI and obviously none of them working.

28 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Is this the sort of thing that's going to require a second mortgage or something?

Because, I mean, I'll do it. I'm just asking for planning purposes.

It sounds like it's probably going to be at least a $300-400 investment once you factor in the XIII Collection (Probably 60), XII: Zodiac Age (Currently priced at $50), Part one of VII (Probably 60), and then the remastered collection the original nine games which I could see costing around $100.

On 12/7/2016 at 8:55 PM, Matt D said:

General Leo becomes recruitable tonight in FFRK. It's weirdly satisfying because it brings me back to 1996 and going online and reading 30 different ways to potentially get him to come back to life in FFVI and obviously none of them working.

God yes. That was when I first had the Internet in my home and I just remember trying so many ways to revive Leo. That was when I learned that things on the Internet weren't always true :( I think that has to be the greatest gaming myth of the 90s, it was everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

God yes. That was when I first had the Internet in my home and I just remember trying so many ways to revive Leo. That was when I learned that things on the Internet weren't always true :( I think that has to be the greatest gaming myth of the 90s, it was everywhere.

That or reviving/keeping Aerith alive. I'm also partial the full toy soldier collection supposedly leading to an 8th party member in FFVII.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2016 at 7:58 AM, Matt D said:

I restarted FFT for the first time in a long time. I'm up to the Dormer Slums (the 4th story battle) and I forgot how annoying the game could be when it comes to grinding/leveling while making sure not to overlevel Ramza.

Two of you know what I'm talking about. I think my gameplan right now is to just not take him with me for a few random encounters to build up my nameless/faceless goons to ~level 5 or 6, then move on with the plot and once I get some actual name characters that I want to use in my party for much of the rest of the game, jettison the goons and do the same with the named characters, leveling them without Ramza for a while. That way my random encounters won't be higher leveled and they can carry Ramza to some extent. Does that make sense? It's been a while.

EDIT: Ok yeah, that doesn't work. It's on Highest Level of any party member. I think I'm done for now. From what I remember, the random encounters are better later in the game because you have better skills/deal but it's such a headache early on until you get there, combined with the stress of potentially losing party members forever. 

I'm enjoying FFXV but I need to ask who though tthe control system to interact with objects was a good idea.  Every interaction is used by the X button on the PS4 but so is the jump button and man is that infuriating.  Also I can't understand why the controls from the chocobo are so different from when your just walking around.  Minor annoyances but they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

17 hours ago, Shadow said:

I'm enjoying FFXV but I need to ask who though tthe control system to interact with objects was a good idea.  Every interaction is used by the X button on the PS4 but so is the jump button and man is that infuriating.  Also I can't understand why the controls from the chocobo are so different from when your just walking around.  Minor annoyances but they shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I have only thrown a couple of hours into the game thus far and hope to really log some time with it over the weekend, but the jumping problem is definitely the one frustration for me. Also, trying to figure out how much I need to grind leveling early. There's not many encounters, and if you get stuck roaming around at night, there's always a level 30 Iron Giant that makes you run far, far away. I'm on chapter 2, and I'm roaming around Hammerhead doing Beast hunts, and trying to fully absorb elemental sections.

18 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Amazon has FF XV for $35 today if you don't already have it.

Yeah, I posted the link in the deals thread.  I didn't necessarily plan on getting the game yet, but it's hard to pass that up.

It's funny that my wife really wants to get World of Final Fantasy after trying the demo.  It's a cutesy style with chibi versions and everything, and there's a Pokemon element where you can imprison enemies.  So she wants that, but I'll gladly take FFXV and beat the tar out of some fools.  Should be a fun time.

Some notes:

1) The frequency of imperial drop ships is quite frustrating. They especially like to show up if you're in the middle of another battle. Yesterday was the first time that I was able to wipe a couple of them out without running for my life just through warp attacking with a great sword and a well-time blizzard spell.
2) I'm not in love with magic and healing being solely consumable. Prompto or Ignis seem like they should be the ideal healer, casting Cure or Cura in tough situations. Instead, you have to use resource management. Ditto, elemancy in this game. I'm sure that unlocking more stuff on the magic tree will make that easier as well as pairing consumables via crafting, but I feel like I need to spend a couple hours this weekend stockpiling flasks/potency of magic.
3) I did the hunt tied to the chocobo farm as a sidequest where you have to take out Deadeye. That was maybe one of the more unique experiences I've ever had in a Final Fantasy game, and it certainly utilizes the transition to a more open-world action-based RPG well.

• Like 1