DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

That disappoints me a good deal if true. That said, DQ VII for the 3DS should mitigate some of that disappointment. Still I was really hoping to be playing a big new rpg next month. I suppose I could always go back and finally finish XIII though I would probably have to restart it after being away for so long.

• 4 weeks later...

I skimmed through some of the Gameplay videos for FFXV. It looks like they're going the FF12 method of having you build the characters how you want to, which I never like. I kind of like having character builds having certain definitions associated beforehand. 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2016 at 9:37 AM, Chaos said:

I skimmed through some of the Gameplay videos for FFXV. It looks like they're going the FF12 method of having you build the characters how you want to, which I never like. I kind of like having character builds having certain definitions associated beforehand. 

Which is odd, considering that everyone complained about that part of FF XII, and the international version did away with it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

Which is odd, considering that everyone complained about that part of FF XII, and the international version did away with it.

Some people are old school and like the idea of characters having specific jobs.  It takes the headache out of building when you know what a character is supposed to be good at when you already have a hard specification.

I like being able to build the way I want to, but I am a completionist with OCD, so sometimes open building allows for too much freedom.

It took me close to two hours to design my Commander Shepard's facial features.  Can you imagine how many attempted playthroughs it will take me to experiment with spells and tactics and limit breaks over five or six player characters? :) 

This is why it takes me so long to beat a game.

And I will probably rage quit when my designated black mage or designated tank gets killed permanently three hours into the storyline.

22 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

I understand trying to modify the battle systems and what not to fall more in line with how people play RPGs today, and I'm okay with adapting to that if it feels organic and smooth gameplay-wise as opposed to just being clunky, which I felt like XIII's battle system failed at in many ways. I have always liked somewhat defined character roles being made for me in my squad-based single player RPGs.

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Some people are old school and like the idea of characters having specific jobs.  It takes the headache out of building when you know what a character is supposed to be good at when you already have a hard specification.

I like being able to build the way I want to, but I am a completionist with OCD, so sometimes open building allows for too much freedom.

It took me close to two hours to design my Commander Shepard's facial features.  Can you imagine how many attempted playthroughs it will take me to experiment with spells and tactics and limit breaks over five or six player characters? :) 

This is why it takes me so long to beat a game.

And I will probably rage quit when my designated black mage or designated tank gets killed permanently three hours into the storyline.

I get that, but as I said above, I just don't feel that's what Final Fantasy should be. I think some of the better final fantasy games have done a good job at defining characters as a Black Mage, White Mage, Warrior, Thief, etc. and incorporating that into a character's story arch. I think Vivi is a fantastic example of that in Final Fantasy IX. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I played a little bit of XIII this weekend to get me back into Final Fantasy mode before XV releases. I'm debating if I'm buying that game at launch or not, and if I am going to get the Deluxe version that comes with Kingsglaive or whatever it's called. Is anyone else picking up XV next week?

As for XIII, I forgot how non-sensical the story could be in this thing, and it takes awhile to get back used to properly using the Paradigm system in this game. I'll probably finish blowing through Chapter 7 tonight and a good bit of Chapter 8.

20 hours ago, Chaos said:

As for XIII, I forgot how non-sensical the story could be in this thing, and it takes awhile to get back used to properly using the Paradigm system in this game. I'll probably finish blowing through Chapter 7 tonight and a good bit of Chapter 8.

The story doesn't get to making sense until they're all together. And even then it's one of the weaker plots, like FF VIII.  Once you get the hang of the Paradigm system, however, it's really fun to just figure out all the best ways to kick everything's ass.

20 hours ago, Chaos said:

I played a little bit of XIII this weekend to get me back into Final Fantasy mode before XV releases.

I'd have played XII myself.  That's the most immersive FF I've played in recent memory and the story actually made sense.

And, y'know, I'm a Skies of Arcadia mark so air pirates being in the story really helped.

32 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I'd have played XII myself.  That's the most immersive FF I've played in recent memory and the story actually made sense.

And, y'know, I'm a Skies of Arcadia mark so air pirates being in the story really helped.

Yeah, I'm just stubbornly trying to finish this one. I have some version of every one between 4 and 13 not counting the MMOs.

On 11/21/2016 at 11:16 AM, Chaos said:

I played a little bit of XIII this weekend to get me back into Final Fantasy mode before XV releases. I'm debating if I'm buying that game at launch or not, and if I am going to get the Deluxe version that comes with Kingsglaive or whatever it's called. Is anyone else picking up XV next week?

I'm kind of holding out till Christmas since I suspect I might get it as a gift from one of my siblings. If I don't I know where some of my Christmas cash is going. I have seen Kingsglaive. Its nice enough film.

I really need to go back and actually beat/replay XIII. I don't remember much of the story itself, but up to the point I played I recall actually liking the characters' journey if not the characters themselves(I hated Snow & Hope). I thought it would be one of the first things I went to when I got a PS3 of my own several years ago (I played my sister's game), but I instead opted for trying out all the franchises I had little familiarity with like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, ME, DA, Fallout, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

If that FF Collection rumor is true, they have my money.

If the FF Collection is real, I'll probably finally buy a PS4 (I mostly play retro games on N64 and Super NES.  Last game system I bought was a PS2).

I pulled Shadow's SSB on the Lucky draw last night, which was annoying enough that I didn't do anything else I needed to do with the game last night. Nothing against Shadow and it's really my first Ninja SSB but I'm pretty good on FFVI synergy and characters and woefully low on mythril for the festival in a couple of weeks. It's my own fault for splurging a few days ago after a frustrating night and ending up with yet another fist for Zell. I really needed multiple rainbows to inspire me on though. To be fair, I got FIVE BSBs on the Black Friday lucky draw with only one dupe (Squall<dupe>, Locke, Tidus, Faris, and Seph), which used up all my luck for the rest of the year.

Yup if that FF collection is real I'll pretty much have to get a PS4. I'm still on the xBox 360 and have been debating on which next console to get, the first nine FF's in one package, will make my decision much easier. I love to replay the early games so much, and I haven't played most of the early japan only releases at all.

General Leo becomes recruitable tonight in FFRK. It's weirdly satisfying because it brings me back to 1996 and going online and reading 30 different ways to potentially get him to come back to life in FFVI and obviously none of them working.

28 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Is this the sort of thing that's going to require a second mortgage or something?

Because, I mean, I'll do it. I'm just asking for planning purposes.

It sounds like it's probably going to be at least a $300-400 investment once you factor in the XIII Collection (Probably 60), XII: Zodiac Age (Currently priced at $50), Part one of VII (Probably 60), and then the remastered collection the original nine games which I could see costing around $100.

On 12/7/2016 at 8:55 PM, Matt D said:

General Leo becomes recruitable tonight in FFRK. It's weirdly satisfying because it brings me back to 1996 and going online and reading 30 different ways to potentially get him to come back to life in FFVI and obviously none of them working.

God yes. That was when I first had the Internet in my home and I just remember trying so many ways to revive Leo. That was when I learned that things on the Internet weren't always true :( I think that has to be the greatest gaming myth of the 90s, it was everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

God yes. That was when I first had the Internet in my home and I just remember trying so many ways to revive Leo. That was when I learned that things on the Internet weren't always true :( I think that has to be the greatest gaming myth of the 90s, it was everywhere.

That or reviving/keeping Aerith alive. I'm also partial the full toy soldier collection supposedly leading to an 8th party member in FFVII.

• Like 2