DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

Meanwhile, I still have the original on my PSX and am still debating getting the PC Port on the PS4 for $11 just because easier to access and I don't have to set up my PS2 to run it. Also, trophies (easy ones at that)/

The things we do for convenience.

Meanwhile, I still have the original on my PSX and am still debating getting the PC Port on the PS4 for $11 just because easier to access and I don't have to set up my PS2 to run it. Also, trophies (easy ones at that)/

The version on the PS4 also comes with a theme that has a lot of the old game's sounds when you move around the screen, and plays a piano version of Aerith's Theme in the background.

Yes, there's something in my eye...

• Like 1

The sad thing is, Cloud wasn't exactly emo in the actual game; he was just a guy trying to be a hero until he goes catatonic, and when you get him back, he seems to understand who he really is, and in process DOES become a hero.

Too bad Squeenix forgot about all of that when they started the Compilation...

...No offense, but do you actually expect anyone who goes through what Cloud went through would be happy at all? 

He had post-traumatic stress disorder in Advent Children not to mention multiple personality disorder in the game proper. Even in the past scenes in Final Fantasy VII when he was a kid, he was still a pretty unhappy kid. He didn't just forget that he lost 4 years of his life, thought he succeeded in his dreams only for him to realize that no you are still a failure, and how many people died just him living out his fantasy. It would have been absurd for Cloud to be remotely happy in any sort of follow-up of FFVII even if he helped save the world and got to be with his dream girl. He has to deal with the unhappy memories of the people he lost(his mother, his hometown, his only friend, and someone he promised to protect). He didn't overcome anything. He simply put aside his issues during the crisis ad fought to save the planet. When the issue was resolved, all there is left is guilt that you can only put aside as long as you aren't reminded of it. He still has to face Aerith's mother and say that he nearly her foster daughter. He still has to deal with the weight that he watched his entire town get torched and he previously thought he was too good for those people. He still has to live with the fact that his actions indirectly caused a section plate to be dropped on an entire populace(Denzel).

Look, I will admit that the compilation fucked up a lot of shit like Zack's death being melodramatic instead of brief empty death that has Cloud crawling to his dead friend's body(I am okay with him needing an entire army to take him down, pulling the old "well I am going to talk to you while I am riddled with bullets"), Dirge of Cerebus, Genesis, Yuffie being playful with the man who is razing or razed her hometown, Genesis,  reducing Tifa to damsel of distress, Genesis, Sephiroth being completely obsessed with Cloud, and motherfucking Genesis. But one thing that the Compilation gets right is Cloud Strife character post-FFVII.

The version on the PS4 also comes with a theme that has a lot of the old game's sounds when you move around the screen, and plays a piano version of Aerith's Theme in the background.

Yes, there's something in my eye...

Excuse me while I install this theme immediately.

They also announced the FFVII remake is going to be an episodic release too as they don't want to leave anything out and couldn't do it justice as 'one game'. Pretty bold move but great for someone like me who doesn't have the time to just solidly play through anymore

They also announced the FFVII remake is going to be an episodic release too as they don't want to leave anything out and couldn't do it justice as 'one game'. Pretty bold move but great for someone like me who doesn't have the time to just solidly play through anymore

Only Square Enix can make me hype for the game that I wanted for a decade and suddenly make me lose interest in a day.

• 3 months later...

It looks like Final Fantasy XV has leaked its release date and will release on 9/30, which I think was reported a few months ago as well.

Squenix is also going to release a playable demo tonight, which I think unlocks an exclusive summon for completing.

Since I didn't play the other demo, I'm excited to see what this looks like.

Its a little late, but that is my birthday month so its nice to know what I'll be spending that money on already. Also happy to hear there will be another demo as I didn't check out the first one either.

20 hours ago, Eivion said:

So for FFXV they are doing an anime (first episode is on Crunchyroll), a moblie game, & a film that takes place during the game (with Sean Bean). They are going all in on this one.

They have to, at this point. Between it being so many years in the making, as well as the gaff last year saying they didn't need any women in the game because cooties or something, they're desperate to get folks to think of it well.

3 hours ago, JLSigman said:

They have to, at this point. Between it being so many years in the making, as well as the gaff last year saying they didn't need any women in the game because cooties or something, they're desperate to get folks to think of it well.

I don't disagree. I'm still interested, but the lack of playable women and general story changes along with the ridiculous time frame its taken to get here has definitely hurt a lot my interest. Its particular annoying when you can remember that there was also a female lead who was more than likely going to be playable before all the big changes.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm still boggled no one else is playing Record Keeper.

What is Record Keeper, again?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Eivion said:

I think I will just wait for the remaster.

I think some of the mechanic changes between Japan and US in this one would make it worthwhile to play the PS2 one. I wish I had a decent PC, so I could play my copy through an emulator. There have been some wonderful graphic upgrades for this through that medium.

I crashed hard against Proudclod in the VII U+ dungeon last night. Two Beam Cannons hit me out of nowhere and only Ramza was left with way too many hit points to go, but then I pulled Lightning's BSSB Overture before bed and that should be a total game changer.

20 hours ago, Eivion said:

The mechanic changes are what have most of my interest. The leveling/job system was one of the biggest things I disliked.

Agreed. Hopefully it'll help with some of the ridiculous grinding for ability points that you had to do to survive late game.

I never got to the "late game" part of 12.  It's easily my least favorite entry of the post-Nintendo franchise.  

-The grinding even in the early parts was ridiculous, you always had to go kill wolves for three hours straight before you were strong enough to beat whatever the next boss was.  And having both traditional experience levels and the goofy checkerboard ability/equipment system seemed needlessly overcomplicated.  

-I was never fond of the MMO-style combat engine, which let you practically ignore the game entirely in the jobber fights and do everything on autopilot, while suddenly requiring an FF Tactics level of pinpoint strategy whenever you ran into something tough.  It simply didn't feel like Final Fantasy, and I was both unsurprised and relieved when they just went back to the standard turn-based combat for 13.  

-Why were so many of the locations just a grid of straight lines?  Running around any level in modern Final Fantasy shouldn't feel like I'm being stuffed into the bland canned environments of Metal Gear Solid 2.  But it's been a continual problem in the franchise's more recent installments.  This started in 10, which innovated the unfortunate trend of not having a world-map screen and skimping on the whole "exploring an unknown world" aspect which made the SNES and PS1 games so much fun.  Admittedly, 12 was nowhere near as bad in this area as 13 would be (like 80% of that game is running down an endless progression of straight hallways), but it's still irritating.  

-And finally, 12 had probably the weakest story and least memorable characters since the NES days.  They might as well have given Vaan the name "Aladdin Skywalker", and the entire story was never even about him.  He was just the guy who happened to tag along with the real main characters; and besides Fran and maybe Basch, I didn't give much of a damn about any of them.  And jesus, guys, can't we do anything other than "a rag-tag group of rebels fights against yet another evil empire" storyline for our main plot?  At least 10 had all the weird socio-religious philosophical bullshit plus Godzilla stomping around, and 13 had all the tearjerker melodrama with people being arbitrarily turned into statues; 12 just has... uh... more optional sidequests than actual main quest?  Even after submitting to pure brand loyalty and spending dozens of hours on the damn game, I still don't entirely see the point.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jingus said:

I never got to the "late game" part of 12.  It's easily my least favorite entry of the post-Nintendo franchise.  

-The grinding even in the early parts was ridiculous, you always had to go kill wolves for three hours straight before you were strong enough to beat whatever the next boss was.  And having both traditional experience levels and the goofy checkerboard ability/equipment system seemed needlessly overcomplicated.  

-I was never fond of the MMO-style combat engine, which let you practically ignore the game entirely in the jobber fights and do everything on autopilot, while suddenly requiring an FF Tactics level of pinpoint strategy whenever you ran into something tough.  It simply didn't feel like Final Fantasy, and I was both unsurprised and relieved when they just went back to the standard turn-based combat for 13.  

-Why were so many of the locations just a grid of straight lines?  Running around any level in modern Final Fantasy shouldn't feel like I'm being stuffed into the bland canned environments of Metal Gear Solid 2.  But it's been a continual problem in the franchise's more recent installments.  This started in 10, which innovated the unfortunate trend of not having a world-map screen and skimping on the whole "exploring an unknown world" aspect which made the SNES and PS1 games so much fun.  Admittedly, 12 was nowhere near as bad in this area as 13 would be (like 80% of that game is running down an endless progression of straight hallways), but it's still irritating.  

-And finally, 12 had probably the weakest story and least memorable characters since the NES days.  They might as well have given Vaan the name "Aladdin Skywalker", and the entire story was never even about him.  He was just the guy who happened to tag along with the real main characters; and besides Fran and maybe Basch, I didn't give much of a damn about any of them.  And jesus, guys, can't we do anything other than "a rag-tag group of rebels fights against yet another evil empire" storyline for our main plot?  At least 10 had all the weird socio-religious philosophical bullshit plus Godzilla stomping around, and 13 had all the tearjerker melodrama with people being arbitrarily turned into statues; 12 just has... uh... more optional sidequests than actual main quest?  Even after submitting to pure brand loyalty and spending dozens of hours on the damn game, I still don't entirely see the point.  

I remember my frustration with 12 also being that it wanted you to determine what builds your characters have, and I don't mean from an A or B perspective. You could honestly turn any character into a tank, healer, black mage, etc.

Yeah, that was annoying too.  "I'm just gonna have EVERYONE be an archer and rain death upon the enemy from afar" is an odd thing for the game to let you do.  And once you gain enough points, pretty much everyone ends up having identical powers no matter what.  

Oh, and I should probably clarify: when I say my least favorite entry of the post-Nintendo franchise", I mean the mainstream entries in the series, not spinoffs or sequels (12 still beats crap like Dirge Of Cerberus and X-2) and not the MMO entries, which I've never played.  

...jeez, after all that bitching, I feel like I should say something positive about the game.  It's not awful, I've played much worse, but it's so bland and nothing-happening that hardly any positives stand out.  Uh... it had really pretty lighting effects, I guess?  Those shimmering lens-flaring crystal lamps were cool to look at.  But when that's the best thing I've got to say about a FINAL FANTASY main series entry, yeesh, that ain't so good.  

I don't think I've likedand FF game since 9 from a story standpoint (or gameplay standpoint at that). Hell I don't think I've been excited for an FF entry since 10 (which really was a disappointing game for me). Maybe I'll give XV a shot.

(Wait.. I did like FF XIV a bit but I like some MMOs and the fact with one of the races you could basically make Raoh from Hokuto no Ken, well how could I hate it?)

James