DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

They should have stopped there.

Dimensions is fun, but the way they dole out classes is frustrating due to the JP mechanic. You're left at points of the game where you're hesitate to spend your JP on jobs you don't really want lest you waste perfectly good AP. I guess that's the game's way of keeping you moving so you don't grind, but come on, we all grind. Were I them I would have made the random battles a little easier too since you burn through a lot of HP. I suppose that's a sign of good balance, that you're almost out of MP by the time you hit the tent/cabin/save point in dungeons, but most people are playing this on a mobile device so auto battle is often on.

• 2 weeks later...

I am many, many hours into Dimensions now and if anyone is a fan of FFV, especially, they should play it. There are a lot of fun call backs, both in the usual ways (oh, look. There's a gold hairpin and Cid), and in more thematic ones, like having twins from Mysdia at one point. It's an extra level of in-game references. The class system is pretty good, but I find the way they release classes to you frustrating. The game is split between two parties and into chapters. With each chapter (which lasts a few hours certainly, usually with a side dungeon to get a summon) you end up teamed up with a character in a class and at the end of that chapter, you get that class. What is nice is the F-Abilities, which are what define where you level up your team more than anything else. If you get Monk to Job level 17 and Dark Knight to Job level 14, for instance, you might be able to unlock a special attack that you can use with any class. I can't say that the jobs are all that balanced though. Some "dancer, thief" are pretty rough, and given the way the JP system works, you have to be sort of choosy about how you're going to advance guys. There were times where I was in classes I didn't really want to advance in (and spending one-time use points in them) because I didn't want to lose out on AP but I also didn't have the job I wanted.

Still, it's well worth playing and even the twenty bucks it costs for anyone who is an old school final fantasy fan. I imagine a lot of people here would get way more enjoyment out of it than XV whenever it comes out.

Dropped off the videogame wagon during the N64 years and didn't play nearly as much, so my FF knowledge is limited to 1, 4, 6, Mystic Quest, and FF Adventure for Gameboy as well as the Advance remakes of 4 & 6.

Liked FF4A way more than FF6A for the amount of extras added...even the spoony bard could kick some ass.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I play it, but it doesn't really have its hooks in me the way it does with some people.  It's a pretty solid little time-waster, though.

I tried the FFXIV free trial and was so pleasantly surprised that I ended up buying and subscribing.  It's not materially different than most MMOs, but the amount of thought and polish that goes into the design is really remarkable.

I also started a new game of FFX and, boy, I had forgotten about how terrible all of the voice acting is.

What's Record Keeper? A paid online game? If so, me no gusta.

I'd been playing a game of FFIV, the Gameboy Advance version, aaaaand... promptly erased my save by accident when I was already halfway through the fucking game. ARGH. I wanted to restart, but just couldn't, hopped rails over to a new round of FFVI instead.

I also started a new game of FFX and, boy, I had forgotten about how terrible all of the voice acting is.

I've never thought it was that awful. Yeah, Tidus is a whiny bitch (who never just does the smart thing and insists that anyone answers his questions) and Wakka's accent is cartoonish; but it's the written dialogue which is problematic, not the people speaking it. The entire cast is made up of talented, experienced voice actors who you've heard in a hundred other things. (And the infamous "laughing" scene gets WAY too much shit, people seem to ignore the fact that even the other party members were really uncomfortable with how weird Yuna and Tidus sounded while they were exorcising their inner demons.)

Compare it to truly awful performances throughout history. The voice acting in the first Resident Evil, now holy shit, THAT'S bad. "Don't open... that door!!!" It doesn't even sound like human beings talking. By comparison, FFX sounds like the cast of The Avengers reading Shakespeare.

Record Keeper is a free mobile game.  I forget exactly what the framing device is, but you're collecting characters from all the FF games and taking them through battles.  It's pretty darn good, as F2P games go.

Record Keeper is a free mobile game.  I forget exactly what the framing device is, but you're collecting characters from all the FF games and taking them through battles.  It's pretty darn good, as F2P games go.

There is a pay element but you don't need it for most of the content. I know of people who have dropped thousands of dollars into the thing but I haven't dropped a cent and I enjoy it a lot.

Record Keeper is a free mobile game.

Ah, that explains why I haven't heard of it. I've had the same ancient flip-phone for countless years now, and it's so primitive that it can't even run Tetris, let alone any modern phone games.
  • Like 1

My wife and I have been playing FFXIV for about nine months now and it's pretty awesome.  If you're looking for a fun MMO, highly recommended.

It's really good!  It doesn't feel nearly as grindy as WoW did, and the quest writing is much better.  And, except for chat, it plays really well on PS4.

Relaying FFVI for the foreverth time, it strikes me that this game is much more open-ended and vague as to exactly when you have to grind. Lots of poorly-balanced games go more like "at level 8 you'll totally die in the castle, at level 9 you'll have a fair challenge in the castle, at level 10 you'll squash every enemy in the castle and one-shot the boss". FFVI isn't like that at all; it's got the finely-tuned balance of a Hattori Hanzo sword. The combat and the enemies are so exquisitely designed that the challenge raises in the tiniest increments... and you often don't know you're in over your head until you're halfway through a dungeon and suddenly you realize everyone has low HP and you're almost out of healing items. It's such a subtle process, it's hard to even describe, but it's unlike practically any other game I've ever played.

I've had the same ancient flip-phone for countless years now, and it's so primitive that it can't even run Tetris, let alone any modern phone games.

JLSigman likes this

I think you've actually seen the phone in question with your own eyes, Jenn, that's how long I've had the damn thing.
  • Like 1

I play the thing on my tablet for what it's worth.

the idea behind it is that you have to (using an ATB with sprite graphics) run through all the different final fantasy worlds, and you can obtain characters from all of them. I'll be doing a Tidus event later with some combination of Locke, A Bard, Lenna, Warrior of Light from FFI, and Kain later. Or something.

Right now I'm working on a Locke dungeon which runs through most of FFVI up to the escape from the floating continent and I've got my team of Locke, Cyan, Celes, Terra, and Lenna up against Nepala with doom cast on me. (There is synergy bonus if you use the characters in their worlds, but I only four FFVI characters have been released so far).

My wife and I have been playing FFXIV for about nine months now and it's pretty awesome.  If you're looking for a fun MMO, highly recommended.

Is FFXIV still monthly subscription based?

I played a few minutes of the PS4 Beta way back when, and it seemed like something I wanted to put some time into.

All I want are updated graphics, a better translation of the original Japanese script (IMO it suffers from the weird word choices that make the original FF Tactics nearly incomprehensible), and making Vincent and Yuffie not be optional.,

That's it. I want the same story, same people, same weirdness, same crazy openword stuff, same Legendary Weapons, etc.

I do want the option to shorten summons.

Because I can only imagine that spending the whole 60 minutes it'll take to cast Knights of the Round with Quatra-Magic linked along with two mimics will get old after the 20th time.

If we can toss in the no 9999 damage barrier, then awesome as well.

I still am of the "leave it as it was with updated graphics" opinion. I am not sure how I feel with it having voice acting now, even.

I don't care if it ages well for most. It's my favorite game of all time. I actually debated doing a clean run of it this weekend. (It's been years since I last touched it).

It seems like a massive waste to just update a game to add new graphics. They should put in twenty new side quests, a job system, four new optional bosses, a million new bits of materia and weapons, and a secret optional character who is General Leo from FFVI.

You can play the thing today if you want. What's the point of playing it with prettier graphics? 

• Like 2