DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

Um... me? The sort of coordination-less monster whose cerebral palsy makes the simple act of handwriting into a mild form of torture, and can't even begin to fathom the idea of playing a video game system which REQUIRES you to be constantly tapping the screen with a damn pen. I need an ordinary controller and nothing else, period. Fuck a buncha stylus and Wiimotes and "jesus, N-64 developers, do you think every kid in America is actually the guy from The Dark Backward" and everything else which pretty much automatically disqualifies us cripples from PLAYING the damn games.

I am not a handheld gamer is my reasoning. I haven't been probably since middle school. I rarely play games on my cell phone. It's not my thing. I am more of a sit down in front of my TV and space out kind of guy.

I only really have time to play games when on the bus for my commute now. I have no idea how some of you people fit it into your life. The FF remakes on the GBA/DS were a lot of fun for someone who had played through a lot of those games a dozen times.

I only really have time to play games when on the bus for my commute now. I have no idea how some of you people fit it into your life. The FF remakes on the GBA/DS were a lot of fun for someone who had played through a lot of those games a dozen times.

The DS lite with Chrono Trigger in the DS side and FF VI in the GBA slot would have made 13 year old me weep tears of joy.

There are a fair amount of DS games that don't really use the touch screen. 

"Fair amount" and "don't really" ain't exactly filling me with confidence here.  If a game uses a touch screen AT ALL then I won't play it, period.  Total dealbreaker.  

Can't wait for the reviews on FF7, 8, 9 and X Jingus.

I smashed through them all as a teen but recent replays in my mid 20's has changed my feelings on all of them.

Its such a strange feeling actually going back and looking at these characters through different eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm up through the big boss fight/exposition dump and reveal at Zanarkand in Final Fantasy X HD.

It is GORGEOUS. Everything looks so much crisper on my flatscreen TV.

The music is still pretty hit and miss, tho. I'm leaning towards "Wish they hadn't remixed/redone it" with only a couple of exceptions.

• 4 weeks later...

Poor abandoned thread... well, I have recently done a playthru of 9, so I might as well write some stuff. I'm still ambivalent on this one, because it seemed like the company wasn't sure what direction they were going in. Chocobo Hot and Cold is still kinda annoying, nowhere near as fun as the other minigames offered in 6,7, & 10. The card game seems pointless, arbitrary, and doesn't ever reward you with anything worth having. The airship is given to you insultingly late, considering how much the plot and cutscenes hang on airships; it's kinda like that unfair feeling you get when the Decepticons can fly but the Autobots can't.

The storyline is depressing (really, all of the FF series tend to lean hard on Game Of Thrones style heel-dominant tragedy, is the entire country of Japan just that depressed?) and the romantic relationships in this one are kept so superfluous that you almost wish Zidane would just go ahead and shack up with Eiko, for all that Dagger gives a shit about him. Your teammates are constantly bitching at each other, there's barely any sense of camaraderie here. Steiner never accepts Zidane, Vivi is probably gonna die real soon, and let's not even talk about what all happens to Freya. The annoying villains Keep~! Getting~! Away~! FUCK YOU ZORN AND THORN, I'MMA NAIL YOU TO THE CROSS while the badass likable villains practically kill themselves, or just go on suicide runs against stupidly overpowerful opponents.

The "other world" is a HUGE missed opportunity: imagine if they'd gone FF6 here and actually let you explore a new planet? Or at least give us FF4, where we can run around in two different pocket-sized Other Worlds. There's no exploration, but they pretend there is! They give you two other giant empty continents that turn out to have nothing but one friendly city and one boss dungeon apiece, and it's a bitch and a half to drag yourself over the rocks to get there in the first place. What the fuck? The stupidly hard-to-find Chocobo Paradise contains: a few items that by now you have no use for, and a practically unbeatable secret boss that doesn't give you jack shit worth having even if you do miraculously manage to slay him. And even the ending sucks, a lame practical joke that suggests all our heroes are sadistic pranksters and also leaves a huge plot hole as to how the hero survived. AND it's got one of those "oh hey, what's up? Nice to meet you, I'm your previously-unmentioned final boss" things that make no damn sense.

And the way the party is constantly switched around at arbitrary times, a LOT...

(pant, pant, pant)

Okay, there are good things too. The ability system is really fun, once you gain enough of them; it's neat to set up your characters so that they are specifically invulnerable to whatever the enemy is packing. The game doesn't rush you, it doesn't have many of those annoying timed challenges that hurt some of the other installments. The character's abilities are nicely balanced, so that you don't have much of a problem with lopsided "that one guy you want to always have in your party" or "that one joke character you never want to use". Even Quina can become a freakin' badass if he/she/it gains enough blue magic tricks from eating enemies. The grinding is pretty enjoyable, as these things go. And thank god they give you a nice huge item basket, so you don't have to worry about throwing something out just to make room. Finally: it was nice to have a Final Fantasy game that at least pretended to be somewhat medieval/steampunk, rather than all its other kin which just went full futuristic technology.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally restarted LIGHTNING RETURNS for lack of anything else to play at the moment, and you know what? It really is a much better game on Easy mode. It's so much more fun to play when every common enemy battle isn't a life or death struggle, and your HP regenerates on the world map so you don't have to run for your life to a store after every battle (so you can actually save your gil to buy OTHER stuff), and even when a fight does get hairy, you can actually escape without losing a precious hour.

I don't even know what to make of that trailer.  Is this game going to be an ARPG? Is it all QTEs?  Is the game about a bunch of bro's road tripping to find Emo-hair McMopington's girlfriend?

Much like the game I think my interest in the game is still "In Development"

I finally restarted LIGHTNING RETURNS for lack of anything else to play at the moment, and you know what? It really is a much better game on Easy mode. It's so much more fun to play when every common enemy battle isn't a life or death struggle, and your HP regenerates on the world map so you don't have to run for your life to a store after every battle (so you can actually save your gil to buy OTHER stuff), and even when a fight does get hairy, you can actually escape without losing a precious hour.

Yup, and I still have no clue why Squeenix did the difficulty levels that way.  It makes the game FAR less frustrating the first time through playing it on Easy, and it sets you up so that New Game+ makes the harder levels actually playable.

Whoa, I just beat the fuck out of Caius. Most of the guides say you're not supposed to be able to beat him at the point in the game I'm at, but I gave it a shot. First time out, he squashed me pretty good, but I noticed that I made a serious dent in his HP by spamming overclocks and heavy slash when I was near death.

So next time up, I maxed out one of my schemas to have the highest possible strength rating and just started the fight spamming overclocks and heavy slash and it WORKED. He was finished before he even got off the Mega Flare he opens the fight with.

Badical.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...