DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

14 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Also, the first part is about to be on Steam, which means I need to buy it again.

It's live, and on sale for $49.69 (nice....) through July 7th, but it's also about 100GB to download, so plan accordingly.

• Like 1

They're killing the English version of Final Fantasy Record Keeper, which came as a big surprise and people are pretty upset, I suppose myself included. Been playing it for seven years and there was a pretty good community around it, etc. It ran six months behind the JP version so there were translators and guide-writers and it wasn't hard to stay up on content even if you were F2P. The game itself had a graphical/battle aesthetic of "What if every FF game was actually FFVI?" which hit my nostalgia and preference sweet spot. Also, because of the 6 month leadtime, a lot of the preparation tended to be pretty strategic. That's one reason why it was a hit. People were preparing for three or four months down the line. The game closes down on 9/29, and I'm hoping to be able to knock out the big realm content remaining for FF1-15, Tactics, Type 0, and then the Core characters. I only have a few left, so I should be able to do it. I'm definitely not in the market to replace it with a new mobile game (especially another gacha one). There was such a sink cost mentality with this after years and years that it'll be somewhat freeing for it to be gone. I think everyone just assumed the JP version would go down first and then six months later the English one would.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Going through FF15 right now and I'm 40 hours in, at level 49 and I just started chapter 4. I kept getting distracted doing hunts and fetch quests. I feel like I've done this wrong but that's the risk with open world games right?

I am digging the world although the combat can get a little hectic when you're out in the open world (you could have made the trees go opaque or something when the camera is facing them).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Finished off FF15 last night. I have the bonus dungeons to do but that's not super important or anything. I did finish off the Adamontise fight but I used the Ring of Lucii to one shot it. Took about 10 minutes of trying for it to work. I finished off the game at level 99 and killed Ardyn before he could finish his monologue which I thought was funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

As a predominantly XBox user I've always been bummed the FF7 Remake didn't end up on XBox. But what did end up on XBox is the PSP Crisis Core Remake. I picked it up this week and so far I am enjoying it. It's cool to expand on this world I spent so much time in 25 years ago. Really wish The Remake would end up on XBox. I don't even need it free on Game Pass. Just make it available to purchase and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

As far as Crisis Core the only complaint I have is it seems like you never get a party. You just get Zack. Wish there were more playable characters.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Playing a little FFV. Fourth time starting it? Never beat it. All these new job classes on the GBA version and I can tell half of 'em are junk.

It's got me thinking - I'm not really on board with the FF7 Remaster stuff at this point in time. Like, I only beat Crisis Core two years ago and I'm sure I'll get around to it once the whole thing's completed. But I am going to be watching with no small amount of interest when the Cat Sith name pronunciation bomb drops. If every bewildered millennial who didn't bother to learn it's pronounced "Ket Shee" loses their minds about it, I MIGHT jump on the series. Anything else and I'm waiting for a $20 compilation of every chapter on PS6.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 1

To piggy back off of your last point, so many AAA games seem like a better wait and see option all the time now. Would I have enjoyed FF15 as much had I got it when it first released and before all of the updates and expansions? I only played the Royal Edition so my view is way different than someone who played it in 2016.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a little annoyed that this one is going to be M for mature and part of that are sexual situations and nudity. My daughter was really wanting to get it to fill the void until FF7-R2 comes out. Since she started expressing she might be queer, she gets really uncomfortable or totally turned off by anything sexual in games, TV, or movies so now she's not really interested in the game. I'm sure she's not the only one. Me personally, I don't know if FF needs sexual situations and nudity in it. I get that this is their stab at Game of Thrones and all, but Game of Thrones and FF don't seem like a decent marriage to me.

I'll probably still get it and maybe she'll give it a spin too if it looks good enough to her.

Just now, Craig H said:

I'm a little annoyed that this one is going to be M for mature and part of that are sexual situations and nudity. My daughter was really wanting to get it to fill the void until FF7-R2 comes out. Since she started expressing she might be queer, she gets really uncomfortable or totally turned off by anything sexual in games, TV, or movies so now she's not really interested in the game. I'm sure she's not the only one. Me personally, I don't know if FF needs sexual situations and nudity in it. I get that this is their stab at Game of Thrones and all, but Game of Thrones and FF don't seem like a decent marriage to me.

I'll probably still get it and maybe she'll give it a spin too if it looks good enough to her.

I kind of agree with this as well. I've always enjoyed the FF games being a serious T or Campy T rating and never felt an M rating was needed. I also am not sure how I feel about the combat going more Devil May Cry for this one with 100% character lock. I get they've been trying to find the right balance on the combat since FFXII, but I thought the happy medium between action and turn based was fine. I actually enjoy the combat in both FFXV and FFVII-R. 

• Like 2

I thought the combat in FF7-R was so much fun and aside from FF14, it's maybe my favorite combat ever in a FF game. Especially with Tifa. That's when shit gets so much fun and you're just a combo machine. 

One of these days I'll have to actually play FF15. I've had it downloaded and ready to play on my PS5 for about forever now, but still haven't jumped into it.

• Like 1

love FFXV. My only gripe about the game is the combat in areas with a lot of trees/shrubs since the camera can get in the way and that based on certain weapons it's too tempting to use spam the warp feature. But for me it's a great balance of combat and story and gives you enough leeway to explore and progress the story. Maybe the room got a little dusty during the final campfire scene.

I want FFXVI but based on the history of FFXV, they're going to tweak and make changes to the game so it'll probably be better to hold off. What's the consensus on 13? I wasn't a fan so I dropped off until a friend told me to check out 15 since it was part of the PS5 collection. 

6 hours ago, Chaos said:

I kind of agree with this as well. I've always enjoyed the FF games being a serious T or Campy T rating and never felt an M rating was needed. I also am not sure how I feel about the combat going more Devil May Cry for this one with 100% character lock. I get they've been trying to find the right balance on the combat since FFXII, but I thought the happy medium between action and turn based was fine. I actually enjoy the combat in both FFXV and FFVII-R. 

If you look beyond the graphic style, the early FF games contained some dark shit. FF VI had mass murder (Kefka poisoning the Doma castle) and fucked up human (sorry, esper) experiments, for example. If you would try to do the same game now just with up-to-gate graphics, I assume you would end up at the M-rating level (I am not familiar with the US rating system, admittedly).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Robert S said:

If you look beyond the graphic style, the early FF games contained some dark shit. FF VI had mass murder (Kefka poisoning the Doma castle) and fucked up human (sorry, esper) experiments, for example. If you would try to do the same game now just with up-to-gate graphics, I assume you would end up at the M-rating level (I am not familiar with the US rating system, admittedly).

The trick is going back to pixel graphics then.

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

The trick is going back to pixel graphics then.

I mean there is Octopath Traveler. Also later versions of DQXII had a pixel mode. OT has sold 3 mio copies, FFXV 10 mio. Though I assume FFXV cost infinitely more to develop.

Edited by Robert S

15 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

What's the consensus on 13? I wasn't a fan so I dropped off until a friend told me to check out 15 since it was part of the PS5 collection. 

13 is where the fandom really splits hard. I liked it, did not like 13-2 and never even tried Lightning Returns. Some people didn't like 13 but liked 13-2. Re-reading some guides reminded me there's a lot of "hidden" mechanics in the game in regards to weapon upgrading that annoyed a lot of people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robert S said:

I mean there is Octopath Traveler. Also later versions of DQXII had a pixel mode. OT has sold 3 mio copies, FFXV 10 mio. Though I assume FFXV cost infinitely more to develop.

FFXV also had the advantage of being one of the first massive games of that generation. 

23 hours ago, Robert S said:

This reminds of the Kamen Rider shows in Japan where the shows are dark as hell but there's guys in big metal suits and bright colors so you can pass it off as a kids show. 

Hrmm, so you only play as Clive...and companions are only controlled by AI. 

I think this won't be a day 1 purchase for me. I'll have to see just how well AI controls your companions.

On 4/13/2023 at 8:49 AM, JLSigman said:

13 is where the fandom really splits hard. I liked it, did not like 13-2 and never even tried Lightning Returns. Some people didn't like 13 but liked 13-2. Re-reading some guides reminded me there's a lot of "hidden" mechanics in the game in regards to weapon upgrading that annoyed a lot of people.

yeah, I forced my way through 13, and never finished 13-2.  I wasn't thrilled by the systems in 13 and unlike 12 and 8, the story didn't really make up for the mechanics not being great.

I know I'm in the minority that hated 15.  The open map was fine, but some of the big plot hits were seriously underserved, the DLC's were necessary to fill in the gaps, and there was a massive lack of explaining things.  I dug the world traversal and there was a lot of potential in the mechanics, which is what kept me playing even if when it became obvious that they painted-by-numbers the story and didn't bother explaining anything.

Visually I'm digging 16, but nothing I'm hearing about mechanics or story is hooking me.  I'm more waiting to see what happens in FF7R2.  

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

yeah, I forced my way through 13, and never finished 13-2.  I wasn't thrilled by the systems in 13 and unlike 12 and 8, the story didn't really make up for the mechanics not being great.

I know I'm in the minority that hated 15.  The open map was fine, but some of the big plot hits were seriously underserved, the DLC's were necessary to fill in the gaps, and there was a massive lack of explaining things.  I dug the world traversal and there was a lot of potential in the mechanics, which is what kept me playing even if when it became obvious that they painted-by-numbers the story and didn't bother explaining anything.

Visually I'm digging 16, but nothing I'm hearing about mechanics or story is hooking me.  I'm more waiting to see what happens in FF7R2.  

I always wonder (even though I am QTing you, just in general) how many people that didn't like FF XV played it at launch vs. when it was all done with DLC, patches, new ending, etc.  My brother played it at launch and beat it, but told me it wasn't very good so I skipped it. I played it three years later or so after it was in its 'final' condition and I loved it so much I platinumed it, which was the first platinum I ever got. But I never played it at launch, didn't follow along with the complaints of it, the drama, the bad original ending, etc. and just dove in when it was all done. I told my brother to replay it but he was still annoyed about its condition at launch and never did.

That's one reason I am not jumping on XVI at launch. I am going to wait at least until Christmas and see how its doing, since they did so much to "fix" XV after launch I don't really trust them to have it fully ready.

• Like 1