DVDVR Message Board

Final Fantasy Omnibus

Chaos

Hard mode has no item use, and benches don't restore MP, so yeah.  It's hard (The Scorpion Bot still kicks my ass)

You might be conflating things.  Tifa was this nice in OG.  Cloud is pretty much the same as he was in the Original, and he was worse in Advent Children.  And to be fair, there's a pretty good reason he's cold to everyone.

I mean, he *is* a clone of Sephiroth with 2 other personalities and sets of memories imprinted over that all in conflict with each other, plus in this game add in Sephiroth and Aerith's uncanny foreknowledge pulling him way more actively than it was in the original...

Edited by Raziel

Yeah Tifa was always a generally nice person, and Cloud was always a bit rough. I do think something about the voice acting here makes him come off a little worse than he should. That said not sure what he did to piss anyone off at Aerith's house. Its the mom who comes across rather poorly to me. He wasn't particularly mean tot he Sector 5 kids either save for maybe one moment.

Glad to see I'm not the only one bothered by the ridiculous amount of materia provided. Its actually annoying just because of how overwhelming it can be. Has to be at least 3 times the amount yo found in the Midgar section of the original game.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Cloud always sounds like he's rolling his eyes when talking to the kids almost like he'd rather they be dead. His response, even to kids with no money, is "I have a price." And when he could do something for free he, he still winds up charging 3 gil. He couldn't be bothered to find that little girls cats and then when the girl actually rewards him he doesn't say shit. He's a dick to Mog when they first meet and is almost a bully in the way he talks to Mog. Cloud says something like, "Oh yeah? You gonna use your 'magic' for that?" Again, he can't be bothered to just be pleasant. Everyone is a bother to him even when he's getting rewarded pretty handsomely. Also, if he doesn't want to help, then don't help. No one is forcing him to help Avalanche or those kids or whatever. 

A lot of this too is the voice actor for him. The voice acting just makes Cloud look like a little bitch. Everyone else so far is fine in the context of this is how characters in anime sound.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dammit, I fucked myself over on this. It wasn't until chapter 14 that I learned on the map screen that hitting R2 would bring up ALL of the quests throughout the game. I had been trying to do every single side quest to get a trophy for that. I learned that my first time through Wall Market I missed out on 2 quests and failed another.

And then while bored at work today I decided to check to see if any other Elemental materia was available and there is...but only if you complete every single side quest from the start of the game up through chapter 14. So that sucks.

I'm also at Chapter 16 now and my Elemental materia is still at level 1. For whatever reason it's taking forever to level up.

It kinda sucks that I'm so close to the end and part 2 of this is probably going to be another two years away. While it definitely feels like there's a lot of filler in this, I loved what I've played so far. Getting to the end of this game is really going to hammer home everything that is still left out there to cover. It's incredible this has all been just Midgar. There's going to be so much more to cover and I wonder how many parts this will have. 

You actually can't complete all the sidequests your first time through, Chapter 14 has 2 sets of sidequests that trigger on one event.  But if you're in Chapter 16, there's a good place coming up to grind some AP.

That's good to know. I found that the arena in Wall Market was a really good place for grinding EXP and AP. It quickly allowed me to master all of my weapons abilities to get the Skill Master materia from Chadley. It was also really easy on Normal mode. I think the worst part was just using the nail bat for Cloud or the claw for Barrett. I probably should have kept doing that arena to level up the 12 magic materia types, but I got bored and wanted to move in.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished FF7R on normal mode and I don't think I'm going to go back and do a hard mode run. The game is seriously fantastic aside from a couple issues I had with the end game. Also, maybe it was just me, but I never felt underleveled and none of the fights were hard aside from my first time through fighting Leviathan. The Hell House that got mentioned earlier was incredibly easy. I beat that my first time through because I had a bio materia equipped. Poison spells on the house annihilate it. Leviathan was hard the first time because I'm trying to hack and slash with Cloud. Doing the Assess on it and seeing it's vulnerable to lightning attacks made me figure, ok, just give Barrett the elemental and lightning materias, along with some other beefy stuff, while Cloud and Tifa buff my health, heal, revive, and put barrier on me. After that you simply just shoot the thing down.

The rest of the game was very easy. I would have liked to have had a chance to set materia for everyone AFTER going through the portal at the very end. It just looked like only Cloud would be going through, so I had him stacked full of materia and everyone else had empty slots. That didn't even matter though. I wound up plowing through all of the end game bosses.

The ending is a major WTF. I still keep thinking about it all with how meta it got. On the one hand I'm super bummed because I really, really just wanted to play a remake of FF7. This isn't a remake of FF7. This may as well be Crisis on Infinite FF7s, which is also pretty cool. Where I get concerned is that this storyline they've setup seems overly ambitious for them to successfully pull off and have it make sense. I'm fully preparing myself for there to be no follow up to Sephiroth's 7 seconds comment, and even for some of the wilder shit you see in the closing cinematics to not be followed up on, like...

Spoiler

Zack Fair being alive now

I hope they do pull it off and don't just do some bullshit anime crap and hand wave everything away to instead just have some cool cutscenes to get people talking.

I'd suggest, if you had time, just doing a 2nd run through (you can do it on Normal, and you're WAAAAAAAY the fuck overleveled for early game Normal Mode stuff), just go go back and see that there were so many clues to where they were going before they smacked you over the head with it once you ended up in the Portal and against the Harbinger.  

Yeah, we got Nomura'd.  I'm thinking the 7 seconds is going to be THAT scene.  I don't think anything's gonna get handwaved and we're right where we're supposed to be, mostly because it's a Nomura game and he's not really one for dangling plot lines.

• Like 1

I think I noticed where some of those clues were throughout the game. I guess we're getting into more spoilery talk, but I kinda felt early on that Aerith was "not of this world" or rather, had some sort of memory from FF7. If I get bored enough I'll maybe do another play through. I finished the game at level 41 on everyone so getting up to 50 shouldn't be hard.

The whole story is still incredibly ambitious. Maybe the biggest story I've seen in a video game. My daughter is just at the beginning of chapter 16 on her run and I now almost feel like say, ok, let's pause on where we're at with this and play the entire original game. I already got excited seeing Cait Sith when the plate drops, but...

Spoiler

I marked out for Red XIII. I then got super excited seeing the original FF7 endgame scenes, cutscenes of Meteor being cast, and other stuff.

I think I want her to experience all of that and the sadness of Aerith's death so that when she gets to the end of FF7R, it all makes more sense for what's happening. She should be able to understand it and for the stuff she doesn't understand it'll be easy to explain. Also, I'd just love to go back through FF7 and Crisis Core again...Just not Dirge of Ceberus. I like Vincent Valentine, but I doubt THAT game will be relevant in this grander story.

The biggest bummer about all of this is going to be the wait for the next part in this story. It's probably 2 years away at best, but maybe I'm wrong. I just now wonder what that second game is going to be. When I first thought this was an actual remake, I figured that the next part would be getting the airship, doing all of the stuff outside of Midgar, maybe giving more story to the weapons, having a really cool 30 minute fight against Emerald Weapon, seeing what Knights of the Round looks like when it's re-made, Yuffie, Vincent, etc.

Also, the combat system for FF7R is one of the best I played. Early on it kinda sucked, but I was eventually chaining combos together with Tifa (who is ultra OP), giving commands to Barrett on the fly to use his abilities, switching over to Cloud to chain a combo together, and then switching back to Tifa right when Starstorm is ending to do the next thing with her. It's so much fun.

Tifa is such a fucking BEAST in this game, especially when you start figuring out out to layout the command shortcuts and learn that Divekick is an animation cancel that you can use to chain stuff together (then getting into Stagger increasing).  Cloud's a self healing beast if you have the right materia loadout and Countestance.

Storywise, yeah, I've seen stuff with Nomura who's said "yeah, we just went all in with the "Remake" part where we're changing up significant stuff".  A lot of how successful this is gonna end up is how they handle things going forward.  Are we brand new here on out?  Are the whispers coming back?  

Given that Sepiroth seemed to be actively using them, plus how we got the subversion of the final encounter of OG7, I'm guessing the whispers will be back, since Sepiroth almost seems to be making sure things happened as they were because he ultimately WON, and Aerith got monkey pawed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think I want her to experience all of that and the sadness of Aerith's death so that when she gets to the end of FF7R, it all makes more sense for what's happening. She should be able to understand it and for the stuff she doesn't understand it'll be easy to explain. Also, I'd just love to go back through FF7 and Crisis Core again...Just not Dirge of Ceberus. I like Vincent Valentine, but I doubt THAT game will be relevant in this grander story.

And even if he is, Dirge is a 5 hour game plot chock full of nonsense so that Nomura's crush Gackt can have some lines stretched out into a 12 hour game full of ridiculous puzzles and nonsense. The soundtrack's pretty good, tho, Masashi Hamauzu never disappoints. 

Alright. Original FF7 purchased on PSN. Time to take that deep dive with my daughter before she finishes FF7R. I put almost 50 hours into my playthrough of FF7R, she's gotta be at 40, and I think I remember FF7 taking less than 40 hours. We should be able to knock FF7 out over the course of a month.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is there a good resource for playing FFXIV on PS4? I tried to start it a couple of weeks ago after finally getting my account able to play the trial (I was frozen out of the trial due to setting up a Beta Console login years ago). I created a character, picked a server, and started to walk the world and talk to some of the characters in the first town but the interface stuff seems clunky especially since the game feels like it's running in a web-browser window.

I know control play is popular in the PC space, but it seems like there's extra hurdles on PS4.

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Is there a good resource for playing FFXIV on PS4? I tried to start it a couple of weeks ago after finally getting my account able to play the trial (I was frozen out of the trial due to setting up a Beta Console login years ago). I created a character, picked a server, and started to walk the world and talk to some of the characters in the first town but the interface stuff seems clunky especially since the game feels like it's running in a web-browser window.

I know control play is popular in the PC space, but it seems like there's extra hurdles on PS4.

I found a good article for you, the short version is you may need to tweek some settings to get it to feel less clunky.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I started back on the FF7 Remake, and I'm up to the Airbuster fight, which basically annihilates me in phase 2. Party is at LVL 17 and I've fought everything in my path, so I feel like I'm properly leveled. 

4 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Square E has trademarked Ever Crisis, First Soldier, and Shinra Electric Company. Whole bunch of us are hoping and praying this means they'll finally re-release Crisis Core (possibly bundled with Before Crisis, the weird mobile game).

Probably sticking a bunch of Core stuff in FFVIIR-2.  I mean, storywise, Pt 2 would start off with the "How Seiphroth went batshit" flashback anyway.

12 hours ago, Chaos said:

I started back on the FF7 Remake, and I'm up to the Airbuster fight, which basically annihilates me in phase 2. Party is at LVL 17 and I've fought everything in my path, so I feel like I'm properly leveled. 

You're not even at the HARD stuff yet...