DVDVR Message Board

Talk Is Jericho

BrianS81177

You know what, for some reason, I completely overlooked all of the shit Chavo has seen in his life. How he doesn't have PTSD is beyond me. Or maybe he does. God...That guy has seen some shit in his day.

I go back and forth on the concussion thing. It didn't help and was probably a factor, but the whole "blame the concussions!" might be people trying to make themselves feel better.

Guys like Mick Foley and Tommy Dreamer are almost certainly way more fucked up with brain damage than Benoit was, but you know there's not a chance in hell of them ever doing anything like that. Guy had something up with him, even beyond the physical issues.

i'm guessing no two brain things work the same, so if you have a guy who has some problems due to brain damage, they could manifest themselves in worse ways if there's other factors. Sorta like how a Junior Seau might went up going out one way but some guys like a Jim McMahon handle it a different way

• Like 1

Very intense conversation Chavo and Y2J had. How often do you get to hear something like this from the horse's mouth so to speak? Deserves more love. Got a lot of respect for Chavo.

I was bawling like a baby listening to him talk about finding Eddie.  Haven't listened to part 2 yet.

On a lighter note, I loved Chavo hulk hoganing World War 3, when Jericho said it was a 60 man battle royal, and Chavo corrects his saying it was 90 men.

It was 90 men, brother! I threw out all 89 of them by myself with one arm!  And every one of them died the next day, brother!

My theory has always been that he killed his wife in a fit of rage, realized what he had done and killed his kid so he wouldn't have to grow up where his mother was murdered by his famous father and all that would go with it.

Seems likely, but I don't think that's mutually exclusive from concussion issues. The rationale that would be going on in his head under the circumstance you laid out is still quite fucking twisted.

i'm guessing no two brain things work the same, so if you have a guy who has some problems due to brain damage, they could manifest themselves in worse ways if there's other factors. Sorta like how a Junior Seau might went up going out one way but some guys like a Jim McMahon handle it a different way

For all its flaws (and it had many) Ring of Hell made a great argument that he was a deeply screwed up guy long before the concussions and even before he got into wrestling.

My impression after listening to the interview is that Benoit was a really strange, weird guy.  They described him as someone with almost no emotion. Someone who would frequently disappear and fall off the face of the earth for months at a time. And this was coming from people who were his best friends.

Who knows what caused him to snap, but that type of behavior isn't normal.  

Not entirely sure why anyone would say Foley or Dreamer would necessarily have more head trauma than Benoit. There's definitely evidence that sub concussive head trauma adds up, and he dropped that diving headbutt a couple hundred times a year. For all the stupid shit he did, Dreamer worked once or twice a week at most for the vast majority of his career, and while Foley took a lot of head trauma, I don't know that he took more than Benoit either.

I also think a lot more than concussions or steroids were going on.

It just seems pointless to try to figure it out. To quote "Paid in Full".. niggas get shot everyday, B.

But seriously, murder is a daily occurrence in America. Granted, killing your wife and kid ain't exactly the norm, but how many news stories do you see of a kid wiping out his whole family with dad's gun? Or dad or mom killing themselves and the kids over something stupid like debt?

There are a million reasons why people do this insane shit. It's just as likely that it's Eminem and Grand Theft Auto's fault than it is concussions or steroids or drugs or the rigors of the road. Maybe Benoit was just always fucked up and he didn't go over the edge, so to speak, until the incident.

So anyway....

Charlie Benante and Mike Portnoy on this week. i like that Jericho's having a lot of music guests on too, I was afraid there would be a lot of wrestling overlap between him and Austin.

Chavo Jr. really mixes up the facts when he tells a story.  I'm not outright saying that he isn't telling the truth about what he knows or doesn't know about Benoit but then...I probably should?  We shouldn't expect him to have photographic memories of his entire career and those of his friends or family but he seems to dance around certain things and confuse the facts about others.  He did it a lot on the MLW interview a few months ago too.  He was talking about a couple of (at the very least...probably more) significant tragedies that happened to his close friends and family so I don't doubt that it would be hard to be more consistent when he recounts them.  

I mean...World War 3 had 90 guys???  Anybody could search a second and find out that isn't true.  And there is probably other stuff that is more significant but who really would want to call him on his inconsistencies?  

Jericho seems more honest in the simple fact that his stories tend to stay the same no matter how often he tells them.  He just likes to hammer lame jokes into the ground over and over again too much.

I don't usually listen to his musical guests.

So anyway....

Charlie Benante and Mike Portnoy on this week. i like that Jericho's having a lot of music guests on too, I was afraid there would be a lot of wrestling overlap between him and Austin.

I like that he's doing metal stuff too. He's really a natural.

One of the greatest pieces I've audio I've ever heard is from around 2006, Jericho was on Eddie Trunk's radio show with Scott Ian and Sebastian Bach when Axl Rose randomly decided to text Bach and drive over to the studio to join them on the air. They all proceeded to swap stories for the next hour and a half or so. There's also a Mike Piazza cameo in there somewhere. Jericho fit in perfectly and told a really funny story about Axl denying him an autograph when he was younger.

I'll have to dig that up. I have it on one of my computers.

• Like 2

For all its flaws (and it had many) Ring of Hell made a great argument that he was a deeply screwed up guy long before the concussions and even before he got into wrestling.

It was terrible and nonsense. No great arguments, nothing.