DVDVR Message Board

Talk Is Jericho

BrianS81177

The Bray Wyatt cameo was what it was, but holy hell that was worst time to segway into an ad for underwear.  He acted all serious and spooked out, then just switched gears completely.  It was maddening to me.

Loved the Chael episode, especially loved Jim Norton's one.  The tribute to Robin Williams was so heartfelt, and Norton talking about depression and how wonderful Robin was was so damn great to listen to.  Highly recommended.

I finally wised up and skipped Jericho's intro. I enjoyed part one of the Batista interview as he came off as very mellow and humble through the whole thing. It was also interesting hearing him talk about how it was bullcrap and not believable that WWE did not want Daniel Bryan to sell his injuries the night after Wrestlemania.

I also liked that they spent a lot of time just focusing on their shared interests in general as opposed to going wrestling heavy. It was a quick, easy interview.

Favorite part of the Batista interview was him and Jericho cracking on Vince's insistence on using anachronistic words in promos. 

Also, it's funny how  wrestlers are getting more and more perplexed by the schizo reactions of live crowds. I think we're basically seeing what happens when live crowds buy tickets to see babyfaces that they pretend (?) to hate for over a decade.  

Yeah, everyone needs to go listen to today's podcast. Jericho was absolutely the right guy to do the interview. It was great. I can't wait for part 2. I also can't wait til these guys get Vince. Hunter had great stories. It almost makes me want to go back and watch his documentary on the Network. Was that half as good as this?

• Like 1

HHH was great.  I like the story of the incredible growing Scott Hall.  Really good stuff.  When the interview was over I was so bummed.  Can't wait until Friday.  I think Jericho was the right guy for the HHH interview too.  HHH really seems to be relaxed and off the cuff.  Nothing comes across as forced or the company line.....yet.  

The Kliq related stuff was nothing we haven't heard before in various iterations, but the WCW related stuff was gold.  Loved the story about his first night in and people are telling him, "just use this Terra Ryzing name for one night, we're working on a great new gimmick and name for you, this is just a dark match that nobody will ever see".  Then sure enough they air the match on Worldwide and Hunter is like "wtf" and gets told, "don't worry about it, nobody watches those shows anyway" lol

Also loved WWE's first attempt at his gimmick name, something like Sherman Dupont Helmsley :lol:

Fun listen that totally breezed right by.  They didn't cover a ton of ground on this one, I'm interested to hear Hunter's take on some of the post-attitude era stuff, because a lot of the 90's stuff and talking points are common knowledge already

The Kliq related stuff was nothing we haven't heard before in various iterations, but the WCW related stuff was gold.  Loved the story about his first night in and people are telling him, "just use this Terra Ryzing name for one night, we're working on a great new gimmick and name for you, this is just a dark match that nobody will ever see".  Then sure enough they air the match on Worldwide and Hunter is like "wtf" and gets told, "don't worry about it, nobody watches those shows anyway" lol

Also loved WWE's first attempt at his gimmick name, something like Sherman Dupont Helmsley :lol:

Fun listen that totally breezed right by.  They didn't cover a ton of ground on this one, I'm interested to hear Hunter's take on some of the post-attitude era stuff, because a lot of the 90's stuff and talking points are common knowledge already

I think one of the interesting things in this was how much ass Hunter let himself show; by that I mean, he really made himself look very insecure and humble during his early career, which isn't necessarily something I think we would have seen just a few years ago (I could be wrong). But there was a real sense of human vulnerability there. 

As a guy who's been trained, worked some matches and now mostly refs shows I've traveled with guys and I love hearing them tell random stories about the "biz" and learning and stuff. I love even more hearing top guys like HHH talk about getting started and being on the road and things like that. I often forget these top level dudes know of all the same guys we talk about and at one point or another had a level of fandom that we have. They learned to bump, learned to talk, learned the rules of the locker room all of the same things these guys I see on the local Florida indy's going through.

I don't think HHH came across as vulnerable as much as he was just following the rules and trying to learn his craft better and figure out his spot. I thought I was going to roll my eyes when he told the story of asking Eric for a one year deal instead of a two year deal and that he wanted too prove his value instead of just taking the first offer. I could have seen him go in the direction of saying he was going to be one of the biggest names in the buisness-uh but he was humble and wanted to learn and earn/prove his spot. Of course, he also wanted to prove he would be worth more money down the line.

Hearing HHH talk about getting his first gimmicks and stuff is real interesting to me. I know he probably doesn't have much say in the way of new guys gimmicks OUTSIDE of NXT, but it's funny he was saddled with some super whacky names much like Scotty Goldman.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode. I think jericho did a really good job on this letting HHH tell his story. I'd love to hear Austin and HHH talk because I think Austin would talk more about the wrestling side of things and learning to work but this was a great show none the less.

I also love how on the road he wanted to talk the buisness with guys but dudes like man mountain rock were already jaded and angry. It seems the guys who don't hate the buisness and are workers are the ones who do well.

• Like 1

Fuck, I'm so torn between hearing the HHH ones now or wait until the plane ride next week.  Glad to read it's great so far.

Really love the Batista interview.  If they had a way to translate how great he is outside of WWE into something for him on TV that would be great.  I'm really hoping he returns, but am just so damn happy for his success.  Between Guardians and the Bloodsport remake he's sitting pretty right now.