DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

Okada has way more ring psychology than people give him credit for. I've seen a lot of people write him off as all style, no substance but he's actually really smart in the ring. Example: in his match against Ibushi, he managed to make that botched top rope-hurracanrana spot not look like a complete disaster by falling off the top rope so it looked like Ibushi meant to dropkick him off of the turnbuckle.

Hurrah for the return of the Liger/Sasuke 'what do you do when your opponent botches a springboard rana' measurement of ring psychology.

Reminds me of a 90s Mutoh match where he lost his footing when racing up the turnbuckle for a moonsault and decided to try and convince the crowd it was deliberate by going full-on botch and throwing himself over to the outside. You know all those dojo beatings have paid off when wrestlers take that kind of bump on a split-second whim.

I don't think he had announced the tumor but I'm guessing he knew or had an idea. The point of Liger losing though was to throw people off and make them think anyone could win the tournament

James

True but the announcement of the tumor came pretty much right after the JCrown tourney that it kind of makes sense. I think a lot of people Liger to go to the finals based on the fact he made the big speech at Skydiving J that led to the JCrown event.

James

I gotta think that Liger is one of the least selfish wrestlers ever.  I know for a chunk of time he was either the one running the Jr. Division or just had a big hand in it (especially the tournaments), so him putting over wrestlers from smaller promotions on a semi-regular basis is still really awesome.  I mean yea he won the belt nine times in Japan, which is a lot, but most his reigns were short.  I still wish he had one last real run after 2000 as he was really hot for periods after that, but I guess he knew it was better to put it on a younger wrestler.  He's still one of my favorite wrestlers ever for a number of reasons.

• Like 2

Muta & Liger were both guys who really piqued my imagination as a kid. The looks and styles of these guys were so different from what I was used to. They obviously led me to puro.

I also loved when the NWA title was defended against Japanese opponents. It gave the NWA/WCW this global feeling that you did not get from the WWF.

Agreed that a good post-2000 Liger run would have been nice, but whenever you feel he deserved a bit more glory go to wiki and gawk at his gold haul. I just did and was reminded of of his delightful one-off MMA appearance. Was surprised to see him acquire his current double-gold at his age but then saw some photos and understood the appeal of having that iconic (and more importantly ageing-free) costume posing with gold inserted into the pages of any title's history books.

I'm hoping when he retures he ends up as a Gedo-style hype man.

Pretty neat little bit of info per Wikipedia that I never heard about: 

Keiichi Yamada was an amateur wrestler while studying in high school,[3] where in his senior year, he lost to Toshiaki Kawada in the finals of a national championship.

If that really happened that is really really cool. It really is crazy how many titles he's had and how many places he's worked. He was light-heavy champ in JAPW for christ's sake.

So anyone who has been to Osaka, I'm heading there in November for a week (going to go to the Power Struggle show as its in the time frame the discount flights were available), are there any good Puroresu shops in Osaka? Definitely want to grab some stuff while I'm over there. Also where is the Bodymaker Colosseum in terms of Osaka, if I booked accommodation fairly central, is it easy to get to?

So anyone who has been to Osaka, I'm heading there in November for a week (going to go to the Power Struggle show as its in the time frame the discount flights were available), are there any good Puroresu shops in Osaka? Definitely want to grab some stuff while I'm over there. Also where is the Bodymaker Colosseum in terms of Osaka, if I booked accommodation fairly central, is it easy to get to?

hit up Gordi. He lives there.

Pretty sure Miyahara left Diamond Ring and will be working AJP regularly though no one seems to know if he has a contract or not.

Addendum: According to purolove it looks like Miyahara joined AJP after today's main event.

Question, what Big Japan matches from 2013 should I give a shot?

another one for ya Dylan. I am very confident you'll enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKhSHTV67vQ

Good call Alan.  I liked this a whole lot more than the hyped June match (I liked the front half of that fine, but didn't care for the second half at all).  The work here wasn't incredible or particularly dynamic, but it was a simple, effective and consistent working of a theme.  I wish more matches out of Japan were like this

I'll post about it in here since I don't see a thread yet:

Anybody know if there's truth to the news I heard that NJPW is getting English commentary option for their iPPVs now?

And the team is Matt Striker/Mauro Ranallo?

Honestly, I love that team if it's legit.  So pumped

Muta & Liger were both guys who really piqued my imagination as a kid. The looks and styles of these guys were so different from what I was used to. They obviously led me to puro.I also loved when the NWA title was defended against Japanese opponents. It gave the NWA/WCW this global feeling that you did not get from the WWF.

I am pretty sure that a lot of us got into Puro because of Muta and Liger. Same here. Muta when I was little and Liger a few years later as I was growing up. 

Muta & Liger were both guys who really piqued my imagination as a kid. The looks and styles of these guys were so different from what I was used to. They obviously led me to puro.I also loved when the NWA title was defended against Japanese opponents. It gave the NWA/WCW this global feeling that you did not get from the WWF.

I am pretty sure that a lot of us got into Puro because of Muta and Liger. Same here. Muta when I was little and Liger a few years later as I was growing up. 

Definitely, that's how I first got into it. I thought the Great Muta was the coolest wrestler I had ever seen and I still think he is pretty cool. The NJPW/WCW Supershow helped alot too as did the PWI 500 which helped me discover wrestling in the rest of the world.