DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

No way AJPW merges with NOAH. F*ck business, we got ego's to worry about here.

What can you say though. We've been saying companies should have been merging for near a decade now and it hasn't happened. Business just keeps going down and down while promotions keep splitting. I really wouldn't be surprised if we are down to only a few promotions in another 10 years.

I don't see it happening either but stacks of money is being left on the table. Allow me to fantasy book a moment. NOAH invades, AJPW fights back. Akiyama & Co turn on AJPW. Muto and a few guys ride back on white horses to even the sides.

Looking over results and I'm not seeing much to be excited about in the BOSJ. Anything better than average so far?

Try Desperado vs. Kenny Omega from June 3.  Not MOTYC quality by any stretch of the imagination, but certainly better than average.

Also I haven't seen it, but you would have to assume Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Taichi from June 4 would have a spot where Taguchi swiveled his hips and then immediately took a microphone stand shot to the groin.  Five stars!

Looking over results and I'm not seeing much to be excited about in the BOSJ. Anything better than average so far?

Try Desperado vs. Kenny Omega from June 3.  Not MOTYC quality by any stretch of the imagination, but certainly better than average.

Also I haven't seen it, but you would have to assume Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Taichi from June 4 would have a spot where Taguchi swiveled his hips and then immediately took a microphone stand shot to the groin.  Five stars!

Taichi has been pretty fired up in the couple of BOSJ matches I've seen, and he's getting a decent reaction from the crowds too.

Taichi has been pretty fired up in the couple of BOSJ matches I've seen, and he's getting a decent reaction from the crowds too.

Apparently he cheated on his wife and New Japan will be suspending him for it after the tournament.  So with people paying more attention to him than usual, he's gone full heel, doing things in every match that really should get him disqualified - but I don't think that makes for good matches, it's really just a bunch of weapon shots and mask-ripping.

He won his first three matches and was the only undefeated guy in the tournament at that point, but the rest of the pack has caught up with him now.

He cheated on his wife and then when he dumped his side girl she posted screen shots of conversations with all the fetish things he is into to the media to see.

I just had a conversation yesterday about a couple of women in South Carolina who started a company called Side Chick Consultants.  People had a problem with these women making money off of such reprehensible behavior, but I say if you are going to be a side chick you should probably live by some sort of code. 

Everyone has one match left in the BOSJ group stage.  I dorked out and tallied up what needs to happen for each participant to be able to advance to the semi-finals.  Spoilered for length.

Block A

Kushida: Advances to the semis if he beats Liger.

Ricochet: Advances to the semis if he beats Bushi.

Bushi: Advances to the semis if he beats Ricochet OR if Liger beats Kushida.

Liger: Advances to the semis if he beats Kushida AND Bushi beats Ricochet.

Everyone else in the block is essentially already eliminated.

Block B

Omega: Advances to the semis if he beats Taichi OR if Taguchi beats Desperado.

Tiger Mask IV: Advances to the semis if he beats Shelley AND at least one of Taguchi and Taichi loses.

Desperado: Advances to the semis if he beats Taguchi AND Shelley beats TM4.

Taichi: Advances to the semis if he beats Omega AND either TM4 beats Shelley OR Desperado and Jackson both win.

Shelley: Advances to the semis if he beats TM4 AND Taguchi beats Desperado AND Jackson beats Romero.

Romero: Advances to the semis if he beats Jackson AND Shelley beats TM4 AND Taichi beats Omega.

Taguchi and Jackson are already eliminated.

Note that there are some scenarios where it's impossible to determine who would advance.  E.g. if TM4, Taguchi, Taichi and Romero all win their final matches, you get a 5-way tie for first in Block B with all 5 of the wrestlers involved having gone 2-2 against one another.  Since the tournament is worked, I'm assuming those scenarios won't happen :P

edit: Realized that I forgot there can be draws! *table flip*

Probably. I really wanted to see him head to New Japan, though.

That's all I've been hearing about since the guy made his debut 3 years ago. "I like the guy so I want him to be with the only Japanese wrestling promotion that I like." which has mostly been New Japan. He's not that good yet to even keep up with the top New Japan guys and with 3 years experience he would be at the bottom for a long time anyway which takes away from his appeal. Obviously the guy made the best decision he could make but because it's Antonio Inoki and IGF is not a liked promotion it's going to be looked down upon.

I'd rather he go somewhere that he can learn and grow, which I think is why New Japan would be a good choice since they tour the most, have a great dojo, and have some of the better wrestlers in Japan.  Wrestling in a promotion that puts on less than 10 events a year (and none so far this year) isn't going to help him improve.  And if you like to see his matches, IGF stuff tends to filter over to the States much slower than New Japan so you won't be seeing very much of him either.

I'd rather he go somewhere that he can learn and grow, which I think is why New Japan would be a good choice since they tour the most, have a great dojo, and have some of the better wrestlers in Japan. Wrestling in a promotion that puts on less than 10 events a year (and none so far this year) isn't going to help him improve. And if you like to see his matches, IGF stuff tends to filter over to the States much slower than New Japan so you won't be seeing very much of him either.

I just think Daichi Hashimoto knows what's best for him than people in other countries who just want to be able to see him wrestle for a promotion they are already watching. If New Japan was the best spot for him to land than he probably would have gone there. But we don't know if New Japan even offered him a spot. Nobody also knows what happened with ZERO1 as obviously shit went down that ended badly with that and he might have been blackballed by other promotions for all we know.

No one pretends to be saying what is best for him on a personal level.  It is just my opinion and preference.  Check the All Japan thread and us discussing NOAH and All Japan merging.  Fans can dream and discuss what they wish happened in the world, right? :)  He could have a girlfriend that won't let him tour for all I know.

• Like 1

And the Super Jr. semi-finalists are....

Block B: Alex Shelley & Ryusuke Taguchi

I had thought Taguchi was already eliminated!

It looks like I was working from bad info.  According to both http://www.puroresufan.com/njpw/ and http://keepingthespiritalive.tumblr.com/post/87888382670/njpw-bosj-xxi-day-6-results-for-june-5-2014, Kenny Omega was leading Block B with 8 points going into the final show.  But now somehow he has 6 points.  Shenanigans!

edit: Looks like it stemmed from an incorrect result given in the Kenny Omega vs. Nick Jackson match from June 5.  I've been told that New Japan had the result wrong on their own site, and the sites I linked were just copying that information.

That's all I've been hearing about since the guy made his debut 3 years ago. "I like the guy so I want him to be with the only Japanese wrestling promotion that I like." which has mostly been New Japan. He's not that good yet to even keep up with the top New Japan guys and with 3 years experience he would be at the bottom for a long time anyway which takes away from his appeal. Obviously the guy made the best decision he could make but because it's Antonio Inoki and IGF is not a liked promotion it's going to be looked down upon.

How about not making assumptions the next time you want to quote me? I actually like Inoki and IGF. I'd rather Daichi works for a promotion that regularly runs shows and he has the chance to improve.

How about not making assumptions the next time you want to quote me? I actually like Inoki and IGF. I'd rather Daichi works for a promotion that regularly runs shows and he has the chance to improve.

I didn't make any assumptions about you. It has nothing to do with you. I quoted you because you said something I have been hearing for years. I was not directly speaking to you. I don't know you so I wouldn't assume anything about you. Just the internet crowd that only really just cares/follows New Japan for the last 3-4 years. The same people that were upset he started with ZERO1 back in 2011. You do a search on Twitter and you get stuff like "Daichi Hashimoto has signed with IGF and this is both a terrible decision and a insult to his fathers legacy" and "Daichi Hashimoto has signed with IGF so much for his career being relevant" so people don't like that he went there. All I am just saying is there's more to it than he just picked IGF that barely runs just because. You can want anyone to go wherever but he probably picked IGF for a good reason. A reason we don't know the whole story of, just like we don't know the whole story about him leaving ZERO1 which there's definitely a story there.

All I am just saying is there's more to it than he just picked IGF that barely runs just because. You can want anyone to go wherever but he probably picked IGF for a good reason. A reason we don't know the whole story of, just like we don't know the whole story about him leaving ZERO1 which there's definitely a story there.

This is an attitude more people need to take in the real world when judging people and companies but it totally doesn't apply to the world of puro where 2019 will probably see Daichi's top and bottom halves of his body splinter in order to form Fall Japan and Pro Wrestling LOWER.