DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

All those matches were legit and that pissed off DDT who fired him after that. Yano is also really hard to get along with.

Legit as in they actually happened or they shot on each other? I assume the former. I can see that kind of booking pissing them off.

Yeah, shoots. I was talking to a friend in Japan who told me the story based on hearing it from Naoshi Sano talking about it with another wrestler at his bar while she sat there. He didn't think she knew Japanese when she does. He mentioned that all the matches were shoots and he got fired for it after they found out about it. She mentioned all the matches were fucked finishes because the wrestlers got to the point where they rather just end the match than actually get a shoot win. Off topic but Yano has one of my favorite themes called C7 from GO! GO!.

Akebono has surrendered the Triple Crown due to his ongoing health issues.

tumblr_n6e3yvRpgO1qj1jhno1_500.jpg

The plans seem to be Omori vs. ? (Doering/Suwama/Akiyama?) for the vacant title.

How much worse can it actually get for All Japan.  They're gonna main Omori vs. any of those guys for a vacant title? I like Suwama, Akiyama and Omori... but the sun's gotta be setting on that group, right?

So the picture took a while to load, so I had time to read that Akebono has health issues, and then the picture popped up and I went "Woah what the fuck happened to him?" Then I felt bad because because it was just Fuchi being old.

He's got problems with his heart and just recovered from pneumonia again, so he probably doesn't look too good right now.

Technically sound. Mutoh and Co. pushed him as a Heavy, even though he's on the small side. Most of his top matches were apart of tags with a partner who had more personality against even better opponents(like Daisuke Sekimoto). He's definitely worked on that and looks much more confident and fills up the ring with his personality more. Before he looked and acted like the guy who was totally eating the pinfall in tag matches. His strengths are definitely in how fluidly he moves, and executes his shit. His matches don't tend to have a lot of overkill and ridiculousness, which is a plus, but the build in his singles don't get super hot either. Of course, if he develops his personality more and connection with the crowd that'll change. He's been wrestling for 7 years now, and still seems eager to learn and improve himself. I think he's pretty much a Kaz Hayashi level dude.

• Like 1

the Akebono thing is a real bummer because he was really good in the role of monster champ. His matches with Go and Miyahara this year were something really special and really different to alot of puroresu these days. That said, his health seems so dodgy right now that I'm glad they've stripped him. Seems way too dangerous to have him out there wrestling right now. Give him the year to recuperate and see where he's at in January.

With AJPW losing him and NOAH losing KENTA, the ever growing lack of depth in the non-NJPW/DG feds is becoming more scary. All Japan, NOAH, Wrestle-1, Zero 1, BJW..... they're all really struggling. It's sad. I keeping hoping that even two of those feds would be smart enough to merge (any two, I don't care) but honestly I think another splintering is even more likely than a merge.

What the hell is Kazuyuki Fujita doing now? Is he still rotting in IGF? 

Oddly enough I think he showed up in All Japan recently and pointed his finger at people.  But yes he is still in IGF too I think, he wrestled there on pretty much all their cards in 2013 (they haven't had an event in 2014 yet).

the Akebono thing is a real bummer because he was really good in the role of monster champ. His matches with Go and Miyahara this year were something really special and really different to alot of puroresu these days. That said, his health seems so dodgy right now that I'm glad they've stripped him. Seems way too dangerous to have him out there wrestling right now. Give him the year to recuperate and see where he's at in January.

With AJPW losing him and NOAH losing KENTA, the ever growing lack of depth in the non-NJPW/DG feds is becoming more scary. All Japan, NOAH, Wrestle-1, Zero 1, BJW..... they're all really struggling. It's sad. I keeping hoping that even two of those feds would be smart enough to merge (any two, I don't care) but honestly I think another splintering is even more likely than a merge.

Seriously, I know it'll never happen, but it'd be swell if NOAH re-entered All Japan. If you don't count the freelancers and gaijin they usually hire, both companies have about 10-12 roster members. Together they'd have an actual, viable roster--though admittedly it would look a lot like NOAH from a few years ago, plus Suwama (and Akebono, if he's still able to wrestle). Maybe add Fujita to the mix.

All hot air, really. Most likely course of action is that they both keep struggling along, with more and more wrestlers becoming freelancers.

Seriously, I know it'll never happen, but it'd be swell if NOAH re-entered All Japan. If you don't count the freelancers and gaijin they usually hire, both companies have about 10-12 roster members. Together they'd have an actual, viable roster--though admittedly it would look a lot like NOAH from a few years ago, plus Suwama (and Akebono, if he's still able to wrestle). Maybe add Fujita to the mix.

All hot air, really. Most likely course of action is that they both keep struggling along, with more and more wrestlers becoming freelancers.

Aside from Fujita coming in, that's really not a bad idea. If NOAH shuts their doors tomorrow, I imagine a few would get scooped up by NJ, namely Marufuji and Sugiura. But, I could see AJPW scooping up the bulk of them, and the using Morishima and his boys as the new super heel group, with KENSO and a couple others joining in.

I was gonna point that match and a couple others out. He brought a certain charisma to the ring. He's also 10 years older now so he doesn't need to be booked as an unstoppable killing machine. Just a super tough vet.

I was gonna point that match and a couple others out. He brought a certain charisma to the ring. He's also 10 years older now so he doesn't need to be booked as an unstoppable killing machine. Just a super tough vet.

I think Ditch said it about him, but there's a certain tension to everything he does that gives you the feeling that it could end the match. There aren't many guys I can think of in pro wrestling that carry that kind of aura.