DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

Rikidozan lost to Lou Thesz a few times I know that. His career wasn't really that long. Only eleven years.

Edit: He's got a couple others(singles matches) it seems. King of Mask, Mr. Atomic, Red Scorpion, Mr. Who, The Destroyer, Zebra Kid(George Bollas), Leo Nomellini. Some of these weren't in Japan, so they don't really count the same. He did lose to the Destroyer in Japan though.

I'm watching the Eddie Gilbert Favorite Angles comp and I'm curious what was the deal with Eddie and Doug shooting on IWA (or WING or whatever it was) and pledging their allegiance to Baba? Was it just Eddie and Doug being Eddie and Doug or did they get a small AJ run? Did the Japanese fans even care who they were? I didn't think Eddie worked much in Japan.

I'm watching the Eddie Gilbert Favorite Angles comp and I'm curious what was the deal with Eddie and Doug shooting on IWA (or WING or whatever it was) and pledging their allegiance to Baba? Was it just Eddie and Doug being Eddie and Doug or did they get a small AJ run? Did the Japanese fans even care who they were? I didn't think Eddie worked much in Japan.

If I recall, they hated being the horror movie guys and were leaving to go to All Japan and then did that whole shoot promo and the whole deal was over and they didn't go.

From Purolove. This card looks pretty swell:

Tenryu Project "REVOLUTION ISM ~DRAGON SPIRIT", 13.11.2013 

Shinjuku FACE 
460 Fans
 - No Vacancy 

1. Makiba besiegt Fugofugo Yumeji (5:25) mit einer Running Lariat. 
2. Great Kabuki & Ryuji Hijikata besiegen Ricky Fuji Posted Image & NOSAWA Rongai (9:02) nach einem Seiken Tsuki von Kabuki gegen NOSAWA. 
3. Mitsuya Nagai Posted Image besiegt Ryuichi Kawakami Posted Image (16:25) mit dem Hyper Knee Kuga. 
4. Koji Kanemoto & Tatsuhito Takaiwa besiegen Jushin THunder Liger Posted Image & Dragon JOKER (15:58) nach einem Single-Leg Crab Hold von Kanemoto gegen JOKER. 
5. Arashi & Daisuke Sekimoto Posted Image vs. Kento Miyahara Posted Image & Kengo - No Contest (5:35)
5a. Arashi & Daisuke Sekimoto Posted Image besiegen Kento Miyahara Posted Image & Kengo (6:04) nach einer Powerbomb von Arashi gegen Kengo. 
6. Genichiro Tenryu, Yoshinari Ogawa Posted Image & Tomohiro Ishii besiegen Minoru Suzuki, Yoshihiro Takayama & Akitoshi Saito (14:54) nach einer Lariat von Tenryu gegen Saito.

Looks very grumpy. Who is Dragon JOKER?

If I recall, they hated being the horror movie guys and were leaving to go to All Japan and then did that whole shoot promo and the whole deal was over and they didn't go.

I have a VHS around someplace of a non-kayfabe video interview Eddie did on his career, circa 1993. I'm guessing it was (more or less) the original shoot interview. Anyway, in discussing the W*ING incident he says that the impetus for it going down was Leatherface (later Super Leather) AKA Mike Kirchner, a friend of the Gilberts, had to do some jail time. While he was inside, Eddie says, Roberto Rodriguez, who wrestled as Jason The Terrible (the Puerto Rico version, not the Calgary guy), had stolen Kirchner's Leatherface gimmick and sold it to a man. I'm guessing he meant the mask, apron and maybe the saw. The Gilberts were mad but let it go, until Jason The Terrible was booked to go over The Moondogs (also friends of Eddie and Doug) in a tag match, and THAT was when they decided to burn their bridges with W*ING. Eddie actually said that they had implored the promoter (Mickey Ibaragi maybe?) to not put Jason over and even to have his partner score the pin if the Moondogs had to job but it ended up being Jason, who they already despised, and that was that for them.That's what I remember from my one viewing of the interview tape about 19 years ago anyway! 

Does anyone think Nagata has a chance of winning the GHC from KENTA? I'm thinking that he's got a 50/50 shot. Nagata as champion creates some fresh matches, which KENTA seems pretty much out of (and really has been since September). He does a couple of token defenses against NOAH guys (Yone, Maybach, Sugiura), and drops it to Morishima.