DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

I watched the 5 on 5 Tug of War series match from the DDT Show at the beginning of the year and really liked it. Each individual match had a fun story and the overall arc was pretty neat. I really liked Takagi just beasting out and killing Irie.

Also, from the same show, I really like Hiroshi Fukuda's style. He's a little too skinny to look totally effective, but I really dig the way he wrestles.

I'm way behind on stuff, so I'll probably talk a lot about stuff that's over half a year old.

Corazon Japan Produce "5TH CORAZON WRESTLING", 17.09.2013
Shinjuku FACE
496 Fans - Super No Vacancy

1. SUSUMU besiegt Wanchuro (MAX Lucha Libre) (8:13) mit dem Dawn of the Dead.
2. NOSAWA Rongai (Tokyo Gurentai) & MAZADA (Tokyo Gurentai) besiegen Kikutaro (Akiba Pro) & Gabaiji-chan (Kyushu Pro) (12:58) nach einer Lariat von MAZADA gegen Gabaiji-chan.
3. Fujita "Jr" Hayato & Hayato Mashita besiegen KUDO & Kazuhiro Tamura (HEAT UP) (12:50) mit dem KID von Hayato gegen Tamura.
4. Ikuto Hidaka besiegt Menso~re Oyaji (15:55) mit dem Shawn Capture.
5. Yuji Nagata & Daisuke Sekimoto besiegen Yoshihiro Takayama & Yuji Okabayashi (20:03) mit einem Backdrop Hold von Nagata gegen Okayabashi.

That main event..... YOWZA!

I've seen my fair share of recent NOAH.For me, Kotoge seems a little sloppy and his pretty boy image is a little obnoxious, but he does work hard and seems enthused about his spot. Harada has been solid from what I've seen; his initial string of singles matches against Kotoge, Super Crazy and Marufuji were all pretty good, at least in terms of establishing Harada's character and showing off what he can do. Ohara I haven't seen yet.For what it's worth I thought Zach Sabre Jr's title match vs. Ishimori was a lot of fun. They still have a ways to go, but NOAH seems to be doing a decent job of filling the spots in the Jr. division left by the Burning guys leaving + KENTA/Marufuji/Nakajima turning heavyweight.

For as long as promotion have been running there, it saddens me that no one has ever rolled another wrestler down the lane. I haven't even seen the lanes during audience brawls.

BJW's had a few matches whear they brawled over to the bowling alley side. It's not that far from the room whear the wrestling is held

What is generally considered Tiger Mask Sayama's best performance? I've been watching some of his stuff this week since other than the DK series I've avoided it and he seems pretty far from great. I know the Dynamite series is lauded as amazing in some circles but I thought it aged horribly and I know it gets torn apart here so what is the quintessential Sayama performance I need to see? Do I have to go into UWF stuff?

For me, Kotoge seems a little sloppy and his pretty boy image is a little obnoxious, but he does work hard and seems enthused about his spot. Harada has been solid from what I've seen; his initial string of singles matches against Kotoge, Super Crazy and Marufuji were all pretty good, at least in terms of establishing Harada's character and showing off what he can do. Ohara I haven't seen yet.

For what it's worth, regardless of his image, Kotoge in real life is one of the sweetest and least obnoxious people I've ever had a drink with in my entire life. He's actually humble and shy outside of the ring. He and Harada both are just genuinely good human beings. When they were working for Osaka Pro, both of them regularly went out of their way to communicate with me and help me understand stuff like where and when the party or event was going to be. With my crappy Japanese, particularly in those first few years, I often would have missed out on the good times if someone hadn't gone out of their way to let me know I was invited. Kotoge and Harada were among those who always made sure I knew, and both of them have helped me out in other ways as well. I couldn't be prouder of their success in NOAH. As you said, those kids work hard and they love pro wrestling.They deserve all the success in the world. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

What!? Your Japanese is crappy? How long have you lived there? Has to be years by now.

A little over four years. I'm still far from fluent, but I can get by with my Japanese. I sometimes need help with the details, though. People like Kotoge, Harada, Asian Cooger, the bodyguard, Tigers Mask, Ebessan, Apple, Spider and my friends Kenji and Kae seem to understand this, and so there's always someone keeping me clued in. The first couple of years, I needed a ton of help, and I have to imagine it wasn't easy to communicate with me then, but someone always made the honest effort. I never even needed to ask for help, someone always offered it. I I'll never forget that, I'll always appreciate it. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I think Kotoge is by far one of the most entertaining wrestlers NOAH has right now.  I worry that his reckless style will get him into trouble, but he makes every match worth watching.  It's weird, I don't consider myself much of a fan of the skinny indie-looking young dude with demented high spots and whathaveyou, but damn it, Kotoge won me over with a combination of sheer viciousness and insanity.  He does contrived sports here and there, but there's always a focused sense on inflicting pain, which is so simple but sadly, so often lacking from lots of other wrestlers.  He has no qualms about taking a serious beating, either.

The fact that he dove in and already cuts promos is also worth noting.  Jeez, I truly wish more NOAH guys could do that.  I'm guessing nobody told Kotoge to do that, he just stepped up and did it...cause, you know, that's what wrestlers do.  

He's goofy, but he actually does most things right.  

• Like 2

The UWF series with Fujiwara smokes anything else I've seen from Sayama. For what it's worth I actually like recent fat Sayama. 

It's so weird, but I'm totally with you on chubby Sayama. He came back, was out of shape, and didn't look good, but you could see his heart was in the right place. Then slowly he started to get a little spring in his step, a little more win in the lungs, and he became a totally acceptable fat guy in a mask who can kick you in the back or twist your arm.

• Like 1

That's not the most beautiful one ever, but it's clean. Every one I ever saws Liger do was pretty rough, but it was new and he wasn't exactly loaded with leaping ability.

4/24/89, I think.

- Naoki Sano defeated Hiro Saito to win the Young Lions League.
- IWGP Tournament, First Round: Big Van Vader defeated Masahiro Chono.
- IWGP Tournament, First Round: Tatsumi Fujinami defeated Vladimir Berkovich.
- IWGP Tournament, First Round: Victor Zangiev defeated Buzz Sawyer.
- IWGP Tournament, First Round: Shinya Hashimoto defeated Riki Choshu.
- Benny "The Jet" Uriquidez vs. Shinya Asuka went to a five round draw.
- IWGP Tournament, Semifinals: Big Van Vader defeated Tatsumi Fujinami.
- IWGP Tournament, Semifinals: Shinya Hashimoto defeated Victor Zangiev.
- Wahka Eveleov defeated Masa Saito.
- Big Van Vader defeated Shinya Hashimoto to win the IWGP Title tournament with Lou Thesz as the special referee.
- IWGP Tag Team Champions Super Strong Machine & George Takano defeated Hiro Hase & Shiro Koshinaka.
- In his debut (with the Liger gimmick), Jushin Thunder Liger defeated Kuniaki Kobayashi.
- Salman Hashimikov defeated Bam Bam Bigelow.
- Shota Chochyashvili defeated Antonio Inoki to win the New Japan Martial Arts Title.