DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

I'm digging this Marufuji/Nakamura vs KENTA/Sugi match NOAH just announced. Even more so if it is leading to KENTA vs Nakamura.

Also Strong BJ challenging for the tag titles is cool. Hopefully that leads to Sekimoto and Okabayashi getting involved.

Great shots! What would I need to get a camera that can take shots of wrestlers in-air without getting blur?

Thanks! As Bald Bombshell wrote, a fast shutter speed is key to stopping action and minimizing blur. Because of the low light setting at wrestling shows (and most indoor events), a good, wide f-stop / aperture is usually also needed. The set up I use is pretty inexpensive as far as decent cameras go. If I could afford fancier lenses, I could get better shots, but oh well. 

I shoot a Canon 10D which was a high end digital SLR about a decade ago. You can pick one up now for a couple hundred bucks. I have a 50mm f/1.4 lens for it that I use almost exclusively. Again around $200-300 new I think. With that combo, I can usually get some decent shots and every once in a while I get something that I really like! Thanks again!

Quality shots with the 10d. I'm thinking about preordering the 70d. Nothing to do with Puro... But yeah...

70d looks pretty great! Enjoy it if you get one! 

One of these days I'll upgrade again. Then again, I've been saying I'll buy that 70-200 f/2.8 for about 15 years now and I still don't have it...ugh.

Hi all! Sorry I just sort of pop in here every couple of years and then disappear again. I moved to Japan last summer and it's been great. I have been terribly busy with things here, but I met up with a friend in Kobe yesterday for the Dragon Gate show. It was a blast! Really fun stuff. I hadn't been keeping up with DG recently, but I think I'm going to have to start. Anyway, we had pretty sweet seats, so I took a bunch of pictures. Most aren't anything too crazy, but hope some of you might enjoy them.

Dragon Gate - Kobe World Hall - July 21, 2013

Thanks!

Nice shots! I think we must've brushed shoulders on the way in. I'm still going through my pics... I must've shot about 300 before I decided to relax and enjoy the show.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Not really sure how big of an impact this will have but anything helps at this point and one final retirement run for Kawada would be somewhat of a boost atleast

From Puroresu Spirit

All Japan Pro-Wrestling announced that Toshiaki Kawada will be appearing, though not competing, at their upcoming Korakuen Hall show on July 28th. Kawada will be watching the show at ringside as well as being a part of an autograph session with the fans in attendance.

Suwama has been vocal as of late for a few former wrestlers to come back for the rebirth of All Japan, and Kawada has been on the top of list. Kawada has not competed in the ring since the summer of 2010 and made his first appearance in a ring in May of this year for Kobashi's retirement show.

With Akira Taue holding his retirement at the end of this year there has been much talk that Kawada would return to be apart of the Taue's final match. Then from I have seen it seems that Kawada has been putting on some weight again since dropping quite a bit during his time away. Does this mean that we could see Kawada return to the ring? I guess we may know sooner than later.

Nice shots! I think we must've brushed shoulders on the way in. I'm still going through my pics... I must've shot about 300 before I decided to relax and enjoy the show.

Posted Image

Wow, very cool! I wish I had known you were there. I'd have tried to find you and say hi during intermission. I tried to put my camera down as much as possible and just enjoy the show, but I kept seeing things that I wanted to shoot. It was a great night...hope you had fun!

Great picture, too! I can't wait to see more when you have a chance to go through them. I'm trying to figure out from the photo...I think if it showed a little more of the crowd outside of the frame to the left of your pic, I'd be able to see my seat! We were right around mid ring, about 5-10 rows up in that first area off the floor, in Section J. 

One last Kawada run would make me quite happy. This Taue retirement match would happen in AJPW or NOAH? I'd love to see Kawada in either company. He'd be my first, second, and third choice to take the belt from KENTA.

He looked pretty civilian last time I saw him, but if he gets back into shape and sticks to the ol' grumpy guy that kicks people, I'd be crazy happy to see him come back..

We want Tenryu, dammit.

I thought Tenryu was back? Is any of his promotions 2013 on youtube/DM?

Re-watched some of Lesnar's New Japan run recently. Viewed in a vacuum, a part from the massive stupidity of booking him as champ that bit the company in the ass. The matches he had were actually damn good. 

vs Nagata was a great angry slugfest

vs Nakamura was a really good Monster vs won't say die underdog match

vs Akebono is a super fun Monster vs Monster match with having to resort to dick heel tactics to win. One of the best Akebono matches i've seen really, mostly thanks to Lesnar because Bono freakin blew  up 30 seconds into the damn thing. 

vs Giant Bernard was good in more of a traditional way. Bernard is bigger then him but not as much as Bono so they kind of cancel each other out size wise. Instead they work the match around Brock beating up Bernard's injured arm and Bernard making big comebacks here & thear. 

Keiji Muto talked about his Wrestle-1 group. He noted that they don’t have a TV deal yet. He’s looking at not only running in Japan but to expand into Asia. He’s looking at Masayuki Kono and Kai as top stars, and Yasufumi Nakanoueno to be booked strong to attract women. He wants to use wrestlers from other promotions on his shows. He said that Masahiro Chono won’t be involved since he’s under contract with All Japan. The company has announced its debut show for 9/8 at the Tokyo Dome City Hall, followed by 9/15 in Nagoya, 9/21 in Kyoto and 9/22 in Ishikawa.

never quite saw the potential of Heart Throb Nakanoue but ok

Re-watched some of Lesnar's New Japan run recently. Viewed in a vacuum, a part from the massive stupidity of booking him as champ that bit the company in the ass. The matches he had were actually damn good. 

vs Nagata was a great angry slugfest

vs Nakamura was a really good Monster vs won't say die underdog match

vs Akebono is a super fun Monster vs Monster match with having to resort to dick heel tactics to win. One of the best Akebono matches i've seen really, mostly thanks to Lesnar because Bono freakin blew  up 30 seconds into the damn thing. 

vs Giant Bernard was good in more of a traditional way. Bernard is bigger then him but not as much as Bono so they kind of cancel each other out size wise. Instead they work the match around Brock beating up Bernard's injured arm and Bernard making big comebacks here & thear. 

Gonna rewatch all this myself

Not sure if this is the right place to post this since this is my first time using the new forum. Anyway, I made a couple of puro music videos a couple of years ago (I'm sure nobody remembers) and now I've made one highlighting Kobashi's career.

• Like 3

Keiji Muto talked about his Wrestle-1 group. He noted that they don’t have a TV deal yet. He’s looking at not only running in Japan but to expand into Asia. He’s looking at Masayuki Kono and Kai as top stars, and Yasufumi Nakanoueno to be booked strong to attract women. He wants to use wrestlers from other promotions on his shows. He said that Masahiro Chono won’t be involved since he’s under contract with All Japan. The company has announced its debut show for 9/8 at the Tokyo Dome City Hall, followed by 9/15 in Nagoya, 9/21 in Kyoto and 9/22 in Ishikawa.

I thought Sanada was supposed to be handsome young ace?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this since this is my first time using the new forum. Anyway, I made a couple of puro music videos a couple of years ago (I'm sure nobody remembers) and now I've made one highlighting Kobashi's career.

Great job! Thanks for this.

I thought Sanada was supposed to be handsome young ace?

Ryota Hama's winking at everyone.