DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

Loyalty. It's also not that important since they're running 6/8 man tag matches and someone has to take the fall.....

Naw, he wasn't in any 6/8 man tag matches. Here are the results I'm looking at (from purolove):

Tenryu Project "GENICHIRO TENRYU RETURN MATCH ~ REVOLUTION", 29.12.2012 (Samurai! TV)

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1,741 Fans - No Vacancy

8. Tomoaki Honma & Kazushi Miyamoto besiegen Seiya Sanada ajpw.jpg & Yasufumi Nakanoue ajpw.jpg(11:18) nach einem Turmeric Bomber von Miyamoto gegen Nakanoue.

9. Genichiro Tenryu Return Match: Yuji Nagata njpw.jpg, Hiroyoshi Tenzan njpw.jpg, Satoshi Kojima njpw.jpg & Manabu Nakanishi njpw.jpg besiegen Genichiro Tenryu, Minoru Suzuki, Takeshi Morishima noah.jpg & Yoshihiro Takayama (19:54) nach einem Armlock von Nagata gegen Tenryu.

Tenryu Project "R-3 ~ TENRYU PROJECT 9", 26.09.2012

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

600 Fans

6. 2/3 Falls Match ~ Reserve: Minoru Suzuki besiegt Kazushi Miyamoto (2-0).

Suzuki besiegte Miyamoto mit einem Gotch-Style Piledriver (3:59). Suzuki besiegte Miyamoto durch Referee Stop (Achilles Tendon Hold) (11:35).

Tenryu Project "R-2 ~ TENRYU PROJECT 8", 27.07.2012

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

607 Fans

7. REAL: Kensuke Sasaki diamondring.jpg & Kento Miyahara diamondring.jpgbesiegen Jinsei Shinzaki mpro.jpg & Kazushi Miyamoto (16:41) durch Referee Stop (Sasaki besiegte Miyamoto mit einem Goo Punch).

Main event for the earlier two (yes, he's the fall guy, but still main event), and second from the top on the Dec 2012 show. The 2/3 falls match with Suzuki is just perplexing.Just seems like weird placement. I'm guessing that he's a stand-in for Tenryu. And where does "loyalty" come in? Who is loyal to Miyamoto?

No, being booked in consecutive main events does. And if he's "a Tenryu guy," great, that makes sense, I've just never heard that before. Any idea why that's the case? Maybe Genichiro felt he owed the young 'un after smacking him around so much in AJ?

It wouldn't have struck me as odd if Miyamoto was a regular roster member, but those are the only three shows (on purolove, at least) that he's present for, and, as I said, he's booked in consecutive main events. Just weird to me, but oh well. Ryan's suggestion could be on point.

No, being booked in consecutive main events does. And if he's "a Tenryu guy," great, that makes sense, I've just never heard that before. Any idea why that's the case? Maybe Genichiro felt he owed the young 'un after smacking him around so much in AJ?

They also main evented the first Kings Road show against each other.

Speaking of All Japan, what can anyone tell me about Kotaro Nasu, who jobbed to Nishimura today? My extensive Googling of his name only revealed that he is 3 years pro and has worked for STYLE-E (which sounds really familiar but I can't remember what it is). 

Also I hope AJPW keeps bringing in Ryuji Hijikata. Better yet, steal Nagai and Tiger Shark away from the Tenryu Project/RJPW crowd and fill the undercard with grumpy Bati guys. 

Speaking of All Japan, what can anyone tell me about Kotaro Nasu, who jobbed to Nishimura today? My extensive Googling of his name only revealed that he is 3 years pro and has worked for STYLE-E (which sounds really familiar but I can't remember what it is). 

Also I hope AJPW keeps bringing in Ryuji Hijikata. Better yet, steal Nagai and Tiger Shark away from the Tenryu Project/RJPW crowd and fill the undercard with grumpy Bati guys. 

I have very little on him which I only got from Zedi.  But yea I also vote for "local guy to fill a spot", I have never seen his name tied to any of the larger promotions.

It's nice to dream. I'd love to see AJ go into full co-op mode with Tenryu Project. Best part would be that most of those guys have a history with AJ, and they could slightly bolster their greatly diminished juniors. And some of the six-man tags would be great, if Tenryu would defend the six man title there: Genichiro Tenryu, Arashi & Tomohiro Ishii vs Suwama/Doering/Chono, or a "classics" unit of Akiyama/Omori/Fuchi or something.

yeah i haven't watched much of the actual matches but the results are scary on paper. every show has at least one match that ends in a non-finish and then leads to an impromptu six-man tag. reminds me of old Heyman booking but without the charm that sleaze allows for. 

also, KAI vs Seiya Sanada, and the endless sequence of rematches it has produced. is ANYONE other than Mutoh interested in this "rivalry"?

Not that I don't agree it is a weird promotion, I am in the process of reviewing a third show now, that was just a house show with 400 people.  So I wouldn't put a ton of stock in it, probably them just doing something amusing for the crowd since it will never hit TV.