DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

So I'm curious about the birth of the 'Strong BJ'  element of Big Japan.  Was this something that was always part of the company and just over-shadowed by the death match wrestling or was it guys like Sekimoto who gave birth to the whole thing?

Dragon Gate used to work with a lot of groups, but I guess they've progressively gotten more isolationist since splitting with Ultimo years back.

When the company switched hands and changed name in 2004 they seemed to open up more and work with other promotions. At the start of Toryumon they worked a lot with Mpro but then around the end of 2001 until the change they didn't work with anyone that much. Ultimo Dragon and Yoshino entered the Differ Cup, they sent a 6man to an All Japan PPV and an outsider would come in to face Stalker Ichikawa but not much else.

After the change they've worked with most companies

So I'm curious about the birth of the 'Strong BJ'  element of Big Japan.  Was this something that was always part of the company and just over-shadowed by the death match wrestling or was it guys like Sekimoto who gave birth to the whole thing?

It's definitely a new thing. Back in the day BJW's secondary focus was on juniors wrestling -- Tajiri is their claim to fame in that respect. 

The junior division has been dead for years, i think Tajiri left in 98-99 and the title's not been used since 2002 (Homicide's still the champ isn't he?). the juniors now and for all the time i've been watching BJW is pretty much just indy boys chucked together for Mens Teioh to play with. They had some really fun matches between 07-09 and for me should have resurrected the title then.

They started calling it Strong BJ in 2009 when more of Sekimoto's trainees started to get to a decent level and Yoshihito Sasaki had signed the year before and the title was created in mid 2012. Before that it was Sekimoto vs the outsider, teams fighting over the tag belts or as the juniors are just a bunch of matches. They did have a Heavyweight title between 01-05 but it was pretty worthless.

Man, that belt was hella fun.

My favorite shit other than the Honda/Yamakawa glory days will always be the Sekimoto/Teioh tag run, though.

It's weird I barely watch BJW now (shit changed when purojitsu died), personally knowing Tommy and all. Guy even brought me back a bunch of t-shirts (I've yet to collect!) and random shit like a AJPW towel he found in a locker room somewhere on the road. The world's getting a bit smaller. Good times.

Well they always had plenty of non death match wrestling on their shows. As a major focus of the company, beyond the 01-03 period when the Heavy title was active, it didn't really get play until 2006 when Sekimoto 1st got popular beyond the core BJW audiance and decided he didn't want to do death matches any more. 

Daichi's definitely been bulking up in his absences. The shaved head definitely makes him look more serious. With his old look he looked like a 15 year old.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I choose to imagine they just greet each other and then just start chopping each other for the next hour straight while having a congenial chat.

• Like 2

Nobody mentioned this here and I just saw it in the crawl on Inside MMA:

"On October 14, 2013, Daniel, along with Rolles Gracie, Jr., made an appearance for professional wrestling promotion New Japan Pro Wrestling, issuing an open challenge for the January 4, 2014, Wrestle Kingdom 8 in Tokyo Dome event, which was later answered by Yuji Nagata and Kazushi Sakuraba, the latter known as the "Gracie Hunter" for his MMA bouts with members of the Gracie family."

Posted Image

I've never seen either Gracie do MMA before but the Sherdog message board post I stole this info off of had this. 

Posted Image

Flair flop!

because curiosity has gotten the better of me: anybody know who this "Mr. 450" is currently competing in AJPW?also (and sorry if someone's asked this already): all these WRESTLE-1 matches I read about on purolove.com that end with "No Contest als Desperado eingriff."...is "Desperado" some masked guy who keeps interfering in matches or something? 

This is by a wide margin the greatest thing that has ever happened.

There was a problem with the DDT Extreme Title match. Antonio Honda and Super Sasadango Machine both arrived to the building feeling incredibly tired. When the time came for the champion Honda to decide what the rules of the match should be, both he and Sasadango fell asleep in the ring. When it became time for the match to begin Amon Tsurumi made the decision himself and made it a Sleep Prevention Death Match where the goal is to make your opponent fall asleep for three seconds. A futon was placed in the ring and the lights dimmed as the match began. Sasadango gave Honda a Suplex onto the futon for a “two count”. Honda then put Sasadango in a Sleeper Hold for another “two count”. An energy drink was brought into the ring only for the spokesperson to Lariat both wrestlers and Hulk out afterwards. Honda got to the energy drink first and then knocked off Sasadango’s mask with a Diving Fist Drop, revealing him to be Muscle Sakai. Sakai recovered and hit Honda with a Missile Dropkick. He did one more but landed on top of the futon where he fell asleep. Honda gently pulled the duvet over Sakai for the “three count” and successfully defended his DDT Extreme Title. After the match Honda thanked the fans for coming to see the show or for watching it on Samurai! TV and said the match felt like he was in a dream.

Posted Image

Edit: For anyone that reads this and is curious, sasa dango is a kind of leaf wrapped sweetened rice flour dumpling(dango). It's popular in Niigata which is where Sakai is from.

• Like 1