DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

1. Other than what I can read from his Wiki, what are your thoughts on BUSHI? I am watching some stuff from All Japan where he teamed with Super Crazy

2. When a wrestler's name is capitalized (TAKA, CIMA, BUSHI, AKIRA) what is the reason behind that?

3. And  what is the back story for Mutoh and that damn Teddy Bear? LOL I guess it is his mascot. Why a teddy bear though?

Haven't seen his NJPW work, but BUSHI in AJPW was pretty average. He is an ok flier, but has little to no charisma and was never too impressive in the ring. I think he might have had one or two worthwhile matches while teaming with Super Crazy and that is about it.

2. When a wrestler's name is capitalized (TAKA, CIMA, BUSHI, AKIRA) what is the reason behind that?

Fuck, I used to know the specifics behind this but i've forgotten now. Traditionally it was something ppl did a lot when turning heel tho...

3. And  what is the back story for Mutoh and that damn Teddy Bear? LOL I guess it is his mascot. Why a teddy bear though?

Pretty sure it's because one of the sponsors he had made bears so they made a Mutoh version that became popular but I could be off

and were there any events in Japan before the Dome was built that were run in massive stadiums like that?

JWA use to run Stadium shows in the 60's. I know they drew up to 15,000 people in Kawasaki. Before the Tokyo Dome in place of it was Korakuen Stadium but I don't know if wrestling was ever held there. As far as the capital names like TAKA it's to show attitude and be cool.

All the All japan guys had animal versions of themselves, and they are all in likeness.  I think Mutoh was a teddy bear because he looks a bit like one?  I can't remember the others, but some of them were spot on and others less so.

I like how Hiro Saito was still in the "Young Lions" league in 1989. did that dude ever not look old and surly?also I think BUSHI is due for an unmasking/gimmick change.. never a sure-fire bet for rejuvenating a guy but I think in his case it can only help. I still vaguely recall his pre-BUSHI persona...he was called T28 or something, right? had like a break dancing gimmick? 

I like how Hiro Saito was still in the "Young Lions" league in 1989. did that dude ever not look old and surly?also I think BUSHI is due for an unmasking/gimmick change.. never a sure-fire bet for rejuvenating a guy but I think in his case it can only help. I still vaguely recall his pre-BUSHI persona...he was called T28 or something, right? had like a break dancing gimmick? 

yup he was a much worse Kzy. He was soooo bad then.

what was the first event held at the Tokyo Dome? and were there any events in Japan before the Dome was built that were run in massive stadiums like that?

If you mean wrestling, it was UWF's U-COSMO's show.

seems that was after the NJPW listed a couple of posts above

One of those little things that's always bugged me: has anybody else ever noticed/drawn attention to the fact that Suwama has made it to the finals of six different Real World Tag Leagues and never won? from 2006-2010 he was in the final every year, then again in 2012. different partner each year, always loses. just always seemed strange to me; it can't be deliberate, right? Suwama being "the guy who always just falls short of winning the annual tag team tournament and has a different partner every year" doesn't exactly have the same long-term payoff as, say, Nakamura not winning a G1 until 2011.

• Like 1

My guess would be that a win over "Suwama plus whomever" is a nice way to put over whichever team actually wins the tourney. Suwama is a genuinely good dude (Based on the one time I met him, anyway). It always seems to me that he has no problem putting other wrestlers over. If anything,he seems to love doing that. 

Posted Image

If the booking ever requires his team to just get destroyed in every match, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.  :lol: I've always thought that "standing on the apron, watching my partner dominate, tagging in, immediately getting demolished, being pinned, and apologizing profusely to my politely-pretending-to-not-be-frustrated-that-this-keeps-happening partner" would be a great role for me. I think Suwama would be pretty damned great in the "Buck up little camper, we'll win the next one!" role, too. 

• Like 1

wanted to plug the new Fighting Spirit Magazine because I'm especially proud of the 6 page piece I wrote on the history of Michinoku Pro and the origins of Japanese Lucha. Really hope that anyone who checks it out enjoys it.

Issue 98 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

Posted Image

The cheapest and easiest way to subscribe to FSM is via our website, here:

Still, if you prefer to pick up FSM at your newsagent, WH Smiths and Easons are the main stockists in the UK and Ireland. For other outlets, please consider asking them to reserve your copy each month, at no extra charge.

FSM is also available on iPad, iPhone, and Android. You can purchase the iPhone / iPad app here: http://tinyurl.com/FSMiPhoneiPad and the Android app here: http://tinyurl.com/PlayFSM  The app costs just £1.99, but you are entitled to download a free issue of your choice with this purchase. The high-resolution screen of tablets allows for a stunning look to FSM, should this be your preferred way of reading. Another advantage of the app is that it links to many hours of relevant matches, promos, and shoot interviews that you do not get with the print edition.

You can also make digital or print purchases directly from www.FightingSpiritMagazine.co.uk .

Thank you for your continued support. Please let us know what you'd like to see in FSM by tweeting editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor.

I'm kinda curious as to how many Japanese wrestlers have asked to train Gordi. Even if he wants to work a "Weakest Gaijin" gimmick... hell, I'd be down to watch.

So far, only Animal Hamiguchi.

Posted Image

Morishima returns.

• Like 1

I'm kinda curious as to how many Japanese wrestlers have asked to train Gordi. Even if he wants to work a "Weakest Gaijin" gimmick... hell, I'd be down to watch.

IIRC, Gordi's already trained, just retired.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys!

I actually discussed the possibility of making a comeback with some of my Osaka Pro friends, and they were all really supportive (of course) particularly Spider, Harada, and the bodyguard... but I cracked my tailbone practicing flat-back bumps and then I badly bruised my heel and partially crushed my achilles when I switched to arched-back style bumps... So I kinda took that as a sign that my body's just not up for it any more. It would have been a dream come true... but really I was lucky to even have had the chance to take another shot at it at my age (I'm turning 48 tomorrow).

I'm more than content just watching the shows now.