DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

So anyone who has been to Osaka, I'm heading there in November for a week (going to go to the Power Struggle show as its in the time frame the discount flights were available), are there any good Puroresu shops in Osaka? Definitely want to grab some stuff while I'm over there. Also where is the Bodymaker Colosseum in terms of Osaka, if I booked accommodation fairly central, is it easy to get to?

hit up Gordi. He lives there.

Missed this one!

Actually I live in Nara, about half an hour by train from Osaka, but close enough...

There used to be a New Japan shop in Metro Hotel in the Doutonbori area of Namba, but I think it's closed now. Mr. Hito had a small shop, also in Namba, but he passed away in 2010 (RIP, my friend). As far as I know, there are sadly no puroresu shops in Osaka any more. 

Bodymaker Colosseum is the new name for Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium. It's also in Namba. Lots of cheap hotels there. 

Definitely recommend going to an Osaka Pro show (in Umeda) and a Kuuga Produce show (in the old Osaka Pro arena in, you guessed it, Namba) while you're here! 

I think that there is still a shop in Namba between the station and Bodymaker. http://homepage3.nifty.com/monipro/shop/p-tenpo.htm

New Japan had a tiny office on the walk to Bodymaker. It might have been replaced by the hotel shop.

I dug around for awhile, but really could not find much of anything. The best I found is the cover from the VHS commercial tape which lists the matches and probably the locations, but the text is too small to really make out. If I had to guess, it's probably just some random gym on tour up north.

Posted Image

What's the name of the All Japan announcer from the 90s? You know, the one who had an orgasm like 30 times a match. I brought him up the other night in a conversation with a friend and neither of us could remember it.

Akira Fukuzawa.

really random question that I need the answer of! Anyone know what city/town this match happened in. The date was 12/16/1996 and it's arguably the greatest Mich Pro match ever.

I'm almost positive that one was in Osaka, Alan. 

I think that there is still a shop in Namba between the station and Bodymaker. http://homepage3.nifty.com/monipro/shop/p-tenpo.htm

New Japan had a tiny office on the walk to Bodymaker. It might have been replaced by the hotel shop.

Nice one! Thanks for the link, Kurt!

What's the name of the All Japan announcer from the 90s? You know, the one who had an orgasm like 30 times a match. I brought him up the other night in a conversation with a friend and neither of us could remember it.

Akira Fukuzawa.

Just.. meat? Or meet. Neither seem to make sense.

I translated something about him to try and figure out what that meant a few months ago when he was at the Kobashi show and the best I can figure out is he just picked something random to be a signature thing he'd yell.

really random question that I need the answer of! Anyone know what city/town this match happened in. The date was 12/16/1996 and it's arguably the greatest Mich Pro match ever.

I reached out to someone with M-Pro connections and they told me it was Hakata Star Lanes, and to be honest it does look like Hakata to me. What are your reasons for thinking Osaka?

I dug around for awhile, but really could not find much of anything. The best I found is the cover from the VHS commercial tape which lists the matches and probably the locations, but the text is too small to really make out. If I had to guess, it's probably just some random gym on tour up north.

Posted Image

thanks for looking into it Ryan!

I reached out to someone with M-Pro connections and they told me it was Hakata Star Lanes, and to be honest it does look like Hakata to me. What are your reasons for thinking Osaka?

My mistake: It was the elimination match from Dec '96 that was in Osaka. 

My mistake: It was the elimination match from Dec '96 that was in Osaka. 

The elimination match was so good!!!

Correction. Just Meet is a baseball thing.

"just meet" is wasei eigo term that came from baseball. It means hitter hit the ball long with center of the bat. In general it means "caught the right moment", or "great timing" etc...Fukuzawa shouted it during signature moves like Hansen lariat and latter when pupupupuroresu news started, he used it as his nickname.
  • Like 2

I reached out to someone with M-Pro connections and they told me it was Hakata Star Lanes, and to be honest it does look like Hakata
It is Hakata Star Lanes, the opening graphic says so.

Big bowling alleys in Japan are often multi-floor complexes with bowling, darts and billiards, games arcade, karaoke, and so on, all in separate areas and generally on separate floors. Very different from any bowling alley I've ever seen in Canada. Hakata Star Lanes also has an Exhibition Hall, and that's where the wrestling shows are held. It's separate from the entertainment stuff, on it's own dedicated floor as far as I know.

Unfortunately, it's inaccurate to imagine groups of people getting ten frames in as a background to the action in the ring.