DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

Bring back the voting threads already! I need to nominate KENTA vs Marufuji so everybody can vote no on it.

Was the match that bad? :o

No, I thought it was great! It's just the type of match that gets that type of reaction.

Just watched it, I'd totally vote yes for that. I really like Kenta's early work on the torso, and that Marufuji was actually mindful of it through most of the match. I particularly like that when Maru would try to make come backs Kenta would just pop him in the stomache to make distance. Also KENTA just nonchalantly stepping off the apron on to Maru's chest. The apron spots almost feel like a little much, but they made since in context. Marufuji was way behind at both points(the piledriver and later the shiranui) and needed an equalizer. I also like the battle for the dive, with KENTA getting The botches were unfortunate but I don't feel like they killed the match. Particularly whatever they were going to do up top, which, while it wasn't what they planned, felt like two guys who didn't want to to let the other guy do something so they both crashed. 

I used to be a pretty big fan of Marufuji, but he fell off a cliff for a little while(between injuries and getting overly complicated in his shit) so I was really happy to see him put on a good show that had MOOVEZ, but nothing that felt forced or overly dumb.

Anyone still buying DVDs of shows? I was thinking the other day that I wanted some random indy shit that might not be on Youtube or DM. I have no idea why, but I suddenly had a strong desire for DISCS.

Anyone still buying DVDs of shows? I was thinking the other day that I wanted some random indy shit that might not be on Youtube or DM. I have no idea why, but I suddenly had a strong desire for DISCS.

Nope. Hell I struggle to watch matches on YouTube & DM. I haven't been able to make it through a full Noah, AJPW or NJPW main event in forever. Is Crazymax still open with people shilling shit? Where would someone even buy DVDs from? Lynch?

KENTA vs Marufuji from 7/7 was a pretty nice match. I liked the early work to Marufuji's mid section, and the little nuances like KENTA nonchalantly stepping off the apron onto Marufuji's stomach. The last half was pretty exciting too, with some nifty spots, the pace kept a nice flow. Shame about the two botches, but thankfully they didn't kill the match. Wouldn't say this is a MOTY candidate, but definitely in my Top 20 matches of this year so far.

Nope. Hell I struggle to watch matches on YouTube & DM. I haven't been able to make it through a full Noah, AJPW or NJPW main event in forever.Is Crazymax still open with people shilling shit? Where would someone even buy DVDs from? Lynch?

I wouldn't bother with the bigger promotions. I'd be more interested in finding more hole in the wall stuff. I remember Jacques was getting a shit ton of random indy stuff that looked awesome that I wanted to buy. I wonder if he's still getting stuff or if business dried up.

Is Lynch still around?  I bought from him several years ago, but I haven't gotten a catalog from him in a long time, and the old catalogs must have been stored on an old computer.  They don't seem to be around anymore.

Someone refresh my memory.  Did he mostly carry puro or was it a bit of everything?  I'm looking for sources for 70's/80's US territorial wrestling (Crockett, Mid Atlantic, WCCW, Georgia, etc.). Don't remember if Lynch handled much of that or not.

Is it worth it trying to dig up his email address again?

He mostly carries Japanese footage but also has hella rare stuff from Memphis, Portland, and other territories, including a collection of golden age footage from the '50s. He's got some old lucha as well. I received an update via email last month, even though it's probably been four or five years since I've ordered anything. Shoot him an email at jlynch779 at comcast dot net and I'm sure he'll add you to the list.

I'm interested, once I have some moneys, in purchasing some of his old Japan TV DVDs with commercial releases to fill out years that Dan Ginnetty hasn't yet done. Mostly mid-to-late '90s New Japan. Oh, yeah... Other than Lynch, Dan Ginnetty is your guy for Japanese DVDs.

So anyone who has been to Osaka, I'm heading there in November for a week (going to go to the Power Struggle show as its in the time frame the discount flights were available), are there any good Puroresu shops in Osaka? Definitely want to grab some stuff while I'm over there. Also where is the Bodymaker Colosseum in terms of Osaka, if I booked accommodation fairly central, is it easy to get to?

hit up Gordi. He lives there.

Missed this one!

Actually I live in Nara, about half an hour by train from Osaka, but close enough...

There used to be a New Japan shop in Metro Hotel in the Doutonbori area of Namba, but I think it's closed now. Mr. Hito had a small shop, also in Namba, but he passed away in 2010 (RIP, my friend). As far as I know, there are sadly no puroresu shops in Osaka any more. 

Bodymaker Colosseum is the new name for Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium. It's also in Namba. Lots of cheap hotels there. 

Definitely recommend going to an Osaka Pro show (in Umeda) and a Kuuga Produce show (in the old Osaka Pro arena in, you guessed it, Namba) while you're here! 

Many years ago, the DVDVRs went on at length about a Japanese indy named Zipang! Does anyone know if any of their video footage is on-line? I've tried googling, but there's an anime of the same name so it's pretty much impossible to find anything.

Yes! Didn't they have a guy called Watermelon Head?

I don't know of any footage online, but it was around from 1997-2003 and if I'm translating this right it may have been ran by the former Osaka Pro/Okinawa Pro wrestler Condor. Zipang is apparently what they used to call Japan in Europe.

Many years ago, the DVDVRs went on at length about a Japanese indy named Zipang! Does anyone know if any of their video footage is on-line? I've tried googling, but there's an anime of the same name so it's pretty much impossible to find anything.

Yes! Didn't they have a guy called Watermelon Head?

Yes! He's the one that stands out in my memory.