DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

Yes. They don't have their entire library archived or anything but most events from the past few years are up and classics have their section. Lots of good stuff there too. Missing a few of the matches I was looking for but most of the stuff that I wanted to watch was on there. (Plus, there's always Ditch's site).

Sweet, I'm going to sign up now, I just have to figure out what is the name of the bottom of my grandfather...one of the security questions.  I would have chose my favorite trick, but I don't want my other tricks to see who I chose and get jealous. 

• Like 2

Strange question.  Does it have the music dubs like the iPPV's did, or is it the actual TV Ashai versions?

(Like, if I watch a Liger match, its he's coming out to Ikari no Jushin and not whatever they've been dubbing his music over with.)

Strange question.  Does it have the music dubs like the iPPV's did, or is it the actual TV Ashai versions?

(Like, if I watch a Liger match, its he's coming out to Ikari no Jushin and not whatever they've been dubbing his music over with.

All of the matches I have watched so far have just cut the entrances.

Anyone know anything about Dragon JOKER?  He wrestles for Tenryu Project and he actually isn't that bad.  He is clearly trained so I wasn't sure if he was just another small time indy wrestler that threw a mask on or if he is a new wrestler.  Cagematch doesn't even have a profile for him so finding information is difficult to say the least.

Does anyone know about Taro Yamada? Like, is he blind, partially sighted or what? He works 666 as a Zatoichi gimmick called The 101. He's not bad at the wrestling.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bym15_madoka-vs-taro-yamada-guts-world_sport

He had a fun match with Keita Yano on a recent Gannosuke show, there's a 666 match in some dingy nightclub, and that's about it.

(Like, if I watch a Liger match, its he's coming out to Ikari no Jushin and not whatever they've been dubbing his music over with.)

Not sure but whatever the dubbed version of Tama Tonga's music is sweet as hell. Not sure if it is dubbed now that I think about it. The match vs. Naito on the Network is where you can hear it

• 2 weeks later...

I just read the note that Stuart is ending Puroresufan by the end of this year. I haven't visited the site a lot lately, but that's a big loss for Puroresu fans in the western world. I had no idea Stuart is this young. That's some commitment doing this for a big chunk of your teen years and your twenties. Kudos!

I just read the note that Stuart is ending Puroresufan by the end of this year. I haven't visited the site a lot lately, but that's a big loss for Puroresu fans in the western world. I had no idea Stuart is this young. That's some commitment doing this for a big chunk of your teen years and your twenties. Kudos!

I was around Stu's site almost from day 1, so I was aware of how young he was when he started.  When his coverage started becoming less comprehensive, I kinda figured it was probably a matter of him getting older and having more real-life responsibilities.  He's said as much a few times over the years.

Barely visited the site anymore and haven't posted on the message boards much in years, but it's still  a loss.  NJPW is one of my favorite promotions and I'm really enjoyed the promotion since they elevated Tanahashi to ace (the years before that, not so much).  Stu's site made it pretty easy to get into NJPW and follow it.  For a good chunk of Strong Style Symphony's life, Stuart was basically our Dave Metlzer, covering not only results and upcoming cards, but hearing re-posting rumors and backstage stuff like contract negotiations.   I'd probably not have followed NJ half as much without Stu.

Yeah I agree with you. The reviews and site in general were the single most important resource I had when I got into puroresu. The bios helped me learn about the wrestlers, the reviews helped me know what to watch and what the stories were, the archives were amazing for a variety of reasons, the FAQ was educational, and the message board was a great community. Even though there's a lot of puroresu sites now, when Stu started out you pretty much had him and Zach Arnold, and Stu's was by far and away the best. This is really a massive loss. I probably wouldn't be into puroresu half as much as I am without discovering Stu's site over a 12 years ago.

I was still semi-regularly dropping by the site even recently when it wasn't likely to have anything more than a late set of results posted. To echo what others are saying, he was single-handedly responsible for getting me into New Japan back in 2003.

I will add that I was glad to see him continue through New Japan's revival after seeing him having to play the role of NJ apologist during the company's dark ages. When a big show goes down it was still nice to go over to his site and see him summarising something that was actually good.

I will chip in a dear RIP for puroresufan.  Like others, that was the first puroresu site I really followed when I got into puroresu in 2003, but I haven't really gone there in years as I get most of my Japanese information from other sites now.  But it was a big part of what got a lot of fans into puroresu so sad to see it go, Stu always seemed like a stand-up guy even if he was a bit of homer at times :)

You haven't watched DDT if you think kayfabe is alive and well in Japan.

Tried to get into it with the first Korakuen Hall show (the one where the girl wins the Iron Man title by opening a door and knocking out the previous champ and pinning him) but stuff like Poison Sawada JULIE turning to stone and his valet driving around Tokyo trying to find a cure just isn't my cup of tea.

The stuff with the ladder winning the belt and the retirement ceremony for it was funny, but a lot of it just wasn't my sense of humor.

I know that kayfabe is alive and well in Japan and nobody does shoot interviews, but has Toshiaki Kawada ever made any public statements hinting at his opinion on being built-up to win the Triple Crown at the Tokyo Dome and then immediately dropping the belts to Kobashi on the very next tour.

who is he, shawn michaels? toshiaki kawada probably gave no fuck at all

I just meant that kayfabe is as dead in Japan as it is in the US. There's not even really that many heels in Japan at this point. Obviously this has not come from Kawada but the logical answer is the Tokyo Dome was more about the moment than the actual run with the belts. Finally beating Misawa for the titles which was something he had never done at the biggest show in the promotions history at the time.