DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

This upcoming Wrestle-1 show just gets more absurd.

EWP Intercontinental Title Match: Leon Von Gasteren vs. Hiroshi Yamato
TNA World Tag Team Title Match: Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards vs. Koji Kanemoto & Minoru Tanaka

TNA X-Division Title Match: Seiya Sanada vs. Great Muta

TAJIRI & Yusuke Kodama vs.. Rockstar Spud & Ethan Carter III

ASW British Mid-Heavyweight Title Match: Robbie Dynamite vs. Seiki Yoshioka

Dean Allmark is also on the the show!

EDIT: It might be Allmark vs. Yoshioka, cagematch may have misled me.

If there is a god, Tanaka and Kanemoto will be in pissed off grumpy old men mode and have none of the Wolves stichk.

Tajiri and Spud in the same match should be entertaining if they then it into a tribute to HUSTLE.

• Like 1

I'm not sure Davey's the type to take any of their shit if they do, but we'll see. He's notoriously grumpy himself and they're guys that aren't really bigger than him overall or more "legit, bro" either. Edwards will get his face kicked in.

Suwama defeated Takao Omori to win the Triple Crown today. That makes Omori's 14 day reign the 2nd shortest, non-injury related, reign on record. For some reason Terry Gordy only held the titles for 3 days in 1990 before losing them to Stan Hansen.

34 AJPW Super Power Series 1990 - Day 17
1990/06/05 @ Park Gymnasium in Chiba, Chiba (Japan)
Terry Gordy © defeated Jumbo Tsuruta (16:51 minutes) [AJPW Unified Triple Crown Heavyweight Title]
35 AJPW Super Power Series 1990 - Day 18
1990/06/06 @ Civic Gymnasium in Mito, Ibaraki (Japan)
Steve Williams and Terry Gordy defeated Kenta Kobashi and Mitsuharu Misawa (20:52 minutes)
36 AJPW Super Power Series 1990 - Day 19
1990/06/08 @ Nippon Budokan in Tokyo, Tokyo (Japan)
Stan Hansen defeated Terry Gordy © (21:33 minutes) - TITLE CHANGE!!! [AJPW Unified Triple Crown Heavyweight Title]

Just watched Akiyama in DDT from 4/29/14. Got me thinking, I wonder if Kobashi calls him and busts his balls for working DDT. "Will you be wrestling the blow-up doll Jun??"

By the way I am not fun. I hate Yoshihiko so much. Ibushi is one of my favorite guys to watch but I can't bring myself to watch any of that nonsense. Yoshihiko on Tosh.0 was wacky. I can't be the only one who saw that...

What exactly is WNC? Seeing Finley and Mendoza there makes me wonder what it really is.

Also, someone suggest some Japanese Indy stuff for me to watch. I might be trying to get into DDT or even some Osaka, Kaientai groups. Anything. Just trying to get away from the big shows

Today marks the first day of Jun Akiyama as president of "All Japan Pro-Wrestling". The parent company sponsoring the company is Red Wall LTD. Full tour cards were released but these are the big shows with all titles on the line, no match order has been determined.[/align]

AJPW, 7/12/14

Osaka BODYMAKER COLOSSEUM #2

1. Kotaro Suzuki vs. Menso~re Oyaji

2. Masanobu Fuchi vs. Osamu Nishimura

3. Suwama vs. Kento Miyahara

4. SUSHI & Ryuji Hijikata vs. Zeus & The Bodyguard

5. Jr. Premium Scramble: Atsushi Aoki, Ultimo Dragon & Super Delfin vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Hikaru Sato & Billy Ken Kid

6. AJPW World Tag Team Title: Jun Akiyama & Takao Omori © vs. KENSO & Mitsuya Nagai

AJPW, 7/26/14

Yokohama Radiant Hall

1. Atsushi Aoki vs. Menso~re Oyaji

2. Jun Akiyama vs. Kento Miyahara

3. Masanobu Fuchi & Zeus vs. Yutaka Yoshie & The Bodyguard

4. Suwama & Hikaru Sato vs. Joe Doering & SUSHI

5. Takao Omori, Shigehiro Irie & Keisuke Ishii vs. KENSO, Mitsuya Nagai & Takeshi Minaminno

6. GAORA TV Title: Kotaro Suzuki © vs. K-ness

AJPW, 7/27/14

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. All Asia Tag Team Title: Shigehiro Irie & Keisuke Ishii © vs. Mitsuya Nagai & Takeshi Minaminno

2. AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Atsushi Aoki © vs. Hikaru Sato

3. Triple Crown: Suwama © vs. Joe Doering

What exactly is WNC? Seeing Finley and Mendoza there makes me wonder what it really is.

Also, someone suggest some Japanese Indy stuff for me to watch. I might be trying to get into DDT or even some Osaka, Kaientai groups. Anything. Just trying to get away from the big shows

Wrestling New Classic was Tajiri's company.

If there is a god, Tanaka and Kanemoto will be in pissed off grumpy old men mode and have none of the Wolves stichk.

Tajiri and Spud in the same match should be entertaining if they then it into a tribute to HUSTLE.

There were dissenting opinions on Kanemoto and Tanaka when they were in their prime.  There isn't a lot of difference between wrestling fans who were enjoying Koji & Minoru in the 90s and early 00s and fans of the Wolves from the past few years.  They were all enjoyed for their similarities more than their differences. 

They wouldn't fall too far apart on a pro wrestling equivelant of the March of Progress evolution chart. 

• Like 1

AJPW, 7/27/14

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. All Asia Tag Team Title: Shigehiro Irie & Keisuke Ishii © vs. Mitsuya Nagai & Takeshi Minaminno

Nice, this card looks tremendous already.  I'm so glad to see Irie and Ishii back, they really add much-needed depth to the roster.  I realize they may not be permanent additions, but it's good to see All Japan doing their best to keep them around.  

By the way, I just watched most of the June card with the Omori-Akiyama title match (where I made a mistake in recording and it was cut off early), and the semi-main, KENSO & Hideki Suzuki vs. Suwama & Hikaru Sato, is worth going out of your way to see.  Much like Irie and Ishii, I'd like to see Suzuki back in All Japan as soon as possible.  You'll see why after viewing the match.

I'm providing the only link I could find, but it's not loading correctly for me, so to be on the safe side, it's just the link at this point, since it may not work for you either.  Hopefully, it does.  Anyway, I expect it to be Youtube-bound soon enough.  It's four surly motherfuckers going at it, and it's fabulous.  

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x201kgp_kenso-hideki-suzuki-vs-suwama-hikaru-sato-ajpw_sport

AJPW, 7/27/14

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

Nice, this card looks tremendous already.  I'm so glad to see Irie and Ishii back, they really add much-needed depth to the roster.  I realize they may not be permanent additions, but it's good to see All Japan doing their best to keep them around.  

By the way, I just watched most of the June card with the Omori-Akiyama title match (where I made a mistake in recording and it was cut off early), and the semi-main, KENSO & Hideki Suzuki vs. Suwama & Hikaru Sato, is worth going out of your way to see.  Much like Irie and Ishii, I'd like to see Suzuki back in All Japan as soon as possible.  You'll see why after viewing the match.

I'm providing the only link I could find, but it's not loading correctly for me, so to be on the safe side, it's just the link at this point, since it may not work for you either.  Hopefully, it does.  Anyway, I expect it to be Youtube-bound soon enough.  It's four surly motherfuckers going at it, and it's fabulous.  

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x201kgp_kenso-hideki-suzuki-vs-suwama-hikaru-sato-ajpw_sport

I posted the 6/15/14 event over in the Matches folder since I can't possibly be the only person that prefers watching shit not on Youtube/DM.  Although I realize I am in the minority :P

AJPW, 7/27/14

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

I posted the 6/15/14 event over in the Matches folder since I can't possibly be the only person that prefers watching shit not on Youtube/DM.  Although I realize I am in the minority :P

Cool, thanks Kevin, obviously that's a much better option!  Of course, I'm fortunate that I'm able to watch these matches on my TV as they are broadcast, so I always wish others can do the same, or something close to it.  Honestly, it's been a drought of sorts for All Japan matches to recommend in this past year, so I wanted to spread the word about this match as soon as I could.

Well, it looks like at least the second half of the year might finally deliver on some quality matches from All Japan.  Things do look promising... 

That wasn't a reference to you, I think we all know you're lucky enough to watch the shows on TV :P  I have just noticed before that people seem to prefer DM/YT, I guess if people watch it at work or on their phones that is easier than downloading the matches.  I'm the opposite, I need to be able to watch them in VLC in order to review them so I can't watch them on streaming sites.  Plus if it is streamed there is always a chance the account will be shut down and all the matches will suddenly be gone.

Hopefully other promotions will contribute to Mutoh's show, that will be a good way to see if All Japan and W-1 still are refusing to work together or not.  New Japan should throw him a few guys though, since he still wrestles for them randomly, at least Tanahashi.  If it is just Mutoh in a six man tag in the main event and the rest is just the usual fare, I don't see it doing much better.

Since we're on the topic of recent All Japan, and in particular, the 6/15 card I mentioned, does anyone have any background on Hideki Suzuki?  The only info I came across was that he was, at some point, an IGF guy and recently did some work in Zero-One.  The announcers in the 6/15 tag match seemed to mention being trained by Billy Robinson as well.  However, everything is vague, the details are very limited.  I'm wondering if anyone can provide more insight... 

He's 34 and was indeed trained by Billy Robinson or at least his gym in Japan, UWF Snake Pit Japan, as well as Yuko/Shigeo Miyato, a Sayama guy. He debuted about 6 years ago for IGF and mostly wrestled for them. He apparently worked in the post office before his career. His nickname is 2nd Generation Ningen Kazaguruma or Human Windmill which was Robinson's nickname.There isn't much else to say really. He's only had about 60 matches and is considered quite good for his experience level.

Thanks for the additional details, Ryan.  It makes sense that he's rather inexperienced, as he did look a little clunky in the match in question.  

That being said, the guy has a truly amazing presence which more than makes up for any of those shortcomings.

He was in at least one classic Battlarts tag and probably a half dozen other ones that I'm not remembering immediately. He always held his own against Ishikawa and Ikeda. I think there's an Ishikawa singles match that's good stuff too.